What Do You Think Happens After DOD?

INDY36

Indy will have PTSD. That's a no (pardon pun) brainer. He's been through too much "crap" (don't want to be banned), and has probably suffered too many brain injuries. I'm not sure if the old Indiana Jones still has control of all of his faculties. God bless him and let him die peacefully. 1960's? ...1970's? I don't know, but the Begees were probably singing on the radio when you heard that he passed away. "Ooh, Ooh, Ooh...stayin' alive....

Thank the Gods for our hero Indiana Jones, that he lived and did all that he did. (It sure gives us here in the 21st century a lot to talk about) But no one lives forever. (By the way....thanks Steven Spielberg and George Lucas)

No one lives forever, unless they live on in legend. It is up to us to describe the legend of Indiana Jones.

Oops, I think I kind of screwed up this post. I hate touch screen! Anyway, I hope I got my message across (despite the fact that I am kind of crazy)

Schizophrenia really sucks.

Mutt’sGirl04

After DoD's onscreen reconciliation between Indy and Marion, they realize they are still not happy because their "situation has not improved" despite Helena's presence, it is just not fixed, so they decide to figure out how to use the Antikythera to go back and prevent Mutt from enlisting.
That, or Mutt shows up at the front door one day, by Christmas 1969, with tales about how he narrowly escaped numerous pitfalls on the journey back and explains what really happened in Nam that resulted in him being falsely proclaimed deceased.

Randy_Flagg

That, or Mutt shows up at the front door one day, by Christmas 1969, with tales about how he narrowly escaped numerous pitfalls on the journey back and explains what really happened in Nam that resulted in him being falsely proclaimed deceased.
The thought of Mutt knocking on the door makes me think of the short story, The Monkey's Paw. Maybe they could do an Indy version of that. (Wouldn't be quite the happy ending you're wanting, though.....)

Pale Horse

Staff member
The thought of Mutt knocking on the door makes me think of the short story, The Monkey's Paw. Maybe they could do an Indy version of that. (Wouldn't be quite the happy ending you're wanting, though.....)
It appears Randy Flagg is an educated man. Now I really hate him. (y)

I've always wanted to use that line. But truthfully, that was a spot on reference. Kudos. I don't hate you at all.

FredH

Indy lives out the rest of his life. At some point, some budding archaeology PhD candidate writes a dissertation about his life and work, gets inspired, and becomes an obtainer of rare antiquities having movie-worthy adventures of their own. (How they square that with modern sensibilities about imperialism I’ll worry about when I make this movie.)

Spiked

I think he's a broken man. All the women and treasures found will fade as he dwells on the years he never had with his kid and the years he never will have going forward. And looking at Marion every day will remind him of that. It's a sad tragedy. Maybe he'll wish he never went to Tibet in Raiders in the first place.

In some ways I see DoD in a different timeline so I can watch ToD and Raiders and imagine a different future for him.

So Mutt is really Terry the Toad from More American Graffiti?
:p

michael

I think he's a broken man. All the women and treasures found will fade as he dwells on the years he never had with his kid and the years he never will have going forward. And looking at Marion every day will remind him of that. It's a sad tragedy. Maybe he'll wish he never went to Tibet in Raiders in the first place.

In some ways I see DoD in a different timeline so I can watch ToD and Raiders and imagine a different future for him.

when i used to watch Raiders, Doom and Crusade I always....and i mean ALWAYS wanted to see him at 70 in his underwear, asleep on a recliner from a night of drinking!

michael

i honestly believe Indy and Marion actually get divorced.

fool me once, you can't get fooled again!!!

until I see Indy 6, they're divorced in my book.

Following the release of Yes's first few albums, Pink Floyd's Echoes and Emerson Lake and Palmer's debut, Indy moves to London and forms a prog rock band in which Indy plays saxophone - with his old pal Remy on lead vocals and guitar and his old flame Vicki Prentiss on keyboards and backing vocals.

michael

Following the release of Yes's first few albums, Pink Floyd's Echoes and Emerson Lake and Palmer's debut, Indy moves to London and forms a prog rock band in which he plays saxophone - with his old pal Remy on lead vocals and his old flame Vicki Prentiss on keyboards and backing vocals.

dude Mangold essentially made Indy hate the effing Beatles.

clearly didn't watch the Chronicles...Indy would HAVE LOVED the Beatles.

dude Mangold essentially made Indy hate the effing Beatles.

clearly didn't watch the Chronicles...Indy would HAVE LOVED the Beatles.
As with the SW sequels, the director wanted to force the "sad old man" trope onto a character it doesn't fit; Indy is a super progressive, open-minded dude in almost every way. He's not Henry Sr.

michael

As with the SW sequels, the director wanted to force the "sad old man" trope onto a character it doesn't fit; Indy is a super progressive, open-minded dude in almost every way. He's not Henry Sr.

which is actually why i hated that scene.

dude traveled the world since he was in short-pants.

he's extremely open-minded! a man of taste!

michael

I mean, James Bond also hates the Beatles.

i guess the REAL question would be, people who loved jazz as much as Indy did, what was their overall consensus of the Beatles back then?

if they hated them, then i'm fully onboard with changing my opinion.

music buffs get in here!

Finn

Staff member
For what it's worth, it's not necessarily the Beatles Indy finds disagreeable - it's all the loud racket Larry and his friends are making, the Beatles just happens to be a part of it. And many people tend to find loud noises disagreeable when they're nursing a hangover. (Indy having one is not outright stated, but somewhat implied.)

michael

For what it's worth, it's not necessarily the Beatles Indy finds disagreeable - it's all the loud racket Larry and his friends are making, the Beatles just happens to be a part of it. And many people tend to find loud noises disagreeable when they're nursing a hangover. (Indy having one is not outright stated, but somewhat implied.)

yeah you're right, but it makes for a good question though!

Henri_Defense

Well, using the old Indy bookends and the last two movies as a jumping off point:

He will go on, at least, one more adventure. One where he has his right eye cut out.

Not long after the events of DoD, a young redhead named Sophie will show up on his doorstep. If you want to tie it into the events of the movie, she heard his name on the news, and decided to seek him out. She reveals herself to be the daughter of Indy, together with a redhead whom Indy slept in the mid-1940s (maybe Sophia Hapgood? It would motivate the name "Sophie". Though, I could see other candidates). Mutt is a precedent of something like this happening in indy's life, it can easily happen again.

Motivated by this second child showing up (out of nowhere) on his doorstep, Indy sets out to contact all of his past sexual partners, and discovers that he has spawned a number of children (spread across the world, and different ethnicities) between 1917/1918 and 1958 (1957 (KotCS + nine months)), several of the older ones have young children of their own by the time that Indy seeks them out.

Seeing Sophie, and her half-siblings, as a second chance, he decides to commit himself to his new children and grandchildren. The do-over that he will never have with Mutt. Though, speaking of Mutt. Indy and Marion discovers that, years earlier, Mutt has himself gotten a girl into trouble, and kept it secret from Indy and Marion. Enter Mutt's daughter, Caroline Jones.

In the 1970s, Sophie has a son, whom later becomes known as "Spike". In the 1980s, she has a daughter named Lucy. Around the same time as the latter, Caroline has two children named Harry and Annie. Over the span of these years, Indy begins recounting his adventures to his children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, even total strangers.

Marion might pass away prior to the early 1990s, explaining her being gone in the bookends.

Closing in on his 100th birthday, Indy ends up going on one last "one last" adventure, where he ends up falling into the Fountain of Youth... and emerges looking like Corey Carrier. Which is then followed by another century of adventures.

The last paragraph is mostly intended as a joke, but it would be a more interesting ending than old Indy simply dying in his sleep one night.