Votes: 16 16.2%
  • body swap, mind transfer

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • improve life, health, happiness

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters

sandiegojones

WhipItGood said:
To remain consistent with the previous films, the Skullls should relate to some kind of power or energy (life) source which could be perverted into a weapon in the wrong hands, likely on a large scale. In 1957 terms, the Russians represent THE threat to global peace and freedom -- think Nazis on an intercontinental scale.

While Spielberg's films often deal with issues of communication, I don't see how telepathy or holographic projection or alien contact can translate directly into a lethal weapon of domination which Indy must prevent the Russkies from obtaining.

Agreed! (y)

WhipItGood

I agree with you Nile: given that it's 1957, Indy doesn't need Nazis to battle, he's got the Communists and the Cold War to fight.

barranca

Resurecting the dead seems a plausable and 'worthy ' power for the skull/temple machine/macguffin to have, but 'feels' a little similar to the holy grail.
I did at one point think either Marion or Mutt could be killed by Spalko, forcing Indy to activate the machine to 'save' them. But just who the soviets would wish to resurect beats me (some communist sect that worships Stalin or Lenin, Trotsky even!)

The Mayans calendar/belief system focused on 500yr (approx) time periods they referred to as 'worlds' 1st 2nd 3rd 4th etc.
Could it be that this is a device that could be used to end 'this world' early and start another 'afresh' with the Soviets in total control. Shaping the new world to their ideals and values .Thus echoing the cold war schism and nuclear standoff that existed then.

The Mayans also believed that one day there god Quetzalcoatl would return. A way of invoking a God to 'use' or 'control' could appeal to the Russians too, and could create a nice 'backfire' situation in a similar vein to raiders and crusade.

Or, as I earlier postulated in my thread 'the Macguffin' the skulls are Keys or activators to the temple machine (alien origin) which is an EM device with many uses both good and potentially for evil. Another 'power of god' situation, echoing the Ark....
A good reason to have flashback sequences or reason to seek out/revisit the Ark (hence the recent set pics of the warehouse).
Although I dislike flashbacks (or dream sequences & montages) in film. They are the last resorts of poor Directors !

I do hope NONE of this is right, and what they have in hand is truly suprising and original, but it is fun to guess!

IndyJr.

They will give Shia facial hair. :p

Seriously though, let's just hope they don't do something quirky like "give someone greater faith" or "give someone a vision of hope". :p

Last edited:

IndyJr.

barranca said:
Although I dislike flashbacks (or dream sequences & montages) in film. They are the last resorts of poor Directors !

Unless you're the directors of The Bourne Trilogy. They did those flashbacks wonderfully!

sandiegojones

barranca said:
Resurecting the dead seems a plausable and 'worthy ' power for the skull/temple machine/macguffin to have, but 'feels' a little similar to the holy grail.
I did at one point think either Marion or Mutt could be killed by Spalko, forcing Indy to activate the machine to 'save' them. But just who the soviets would wish to resurect beats me (some communist sect that worships Stalin or Lenin, Trotsky even!)

The Mayans calendar/belief system focused on 500yr (approx) time periods they referred to as 'worlds' 1st 2nd 3rd 4th etc.
Could it be that this is a device that could be used to end 'this world' early and start another 'afresh' with the Soviets in total control. Shaping the new world to their ideals and values .Thus echoing the cold war schism and nuclear standoff that existed then.

The Mayans also believed that one day there god Quetzalcoatl would return. A way of invoking a God to 'use' or 'control' could appeal to the Russians too, and could create a nice 'backfire' situation in a similar vein to raiders and crusade.

Or, as I earlier postulated in my thread 'the Macguffin' the skulls are Keys or activators to the temple machine (alien origin) which is an EM device with many uses both good and potentially for evil. Another 'power of god' situation, echoing the Ark....
A good reason to have flashback sequences or reason to seek out/revisit the Ark (hence the recent set pics of the warehouse).

I do hope NONE of this is right, and what they have in hand is truly suprising and original, but it is fun to guess!

The soviets did not allow any religion so I doubt that they'd seek to use the crystall skull in a religious manner (especially in the name of GOD), but they've had Lenin encased in a hyperberic chamber since his death (even to this day) so maybe they want him back? :dead:

Perhaps the skulls activate the beam on top (whatever it is), but the soviets wish to weaponize it? They did launch Sputnik in 1957 and maybe want to get the skull beam to attach it to a new satellite so they can use it against the US. That's a plausable, but sci-fi answer to it, and it doesn't require we see aliens to explain any of it.

barranca

Perhaps you missed my point, NOT use it in the 'name of god' but use or control the entity itself for their own means in a very non religious way. Also suppose Quetzalcoatl is not a god as such at all but something entirely different......

barranca

I'd gven some thought to the sputnik thing too, but I cant see the logic in 'cobbling' the two together. It'd be a bit like trying to run a stealth bomber on steam power ! by the way Indyjnr you are right about Bourne, there are exceptions to all 'rules' and that is a good one.

bergstrom

If anyone here knows how to work crystal skulls, can they please contact some aliens with super fast thinking to come up with a macguffin for Indy 5, and not look for any credit either.

Long shot. I know.

berg

sandiegojones

barranca said:
I'd gven some thought to the sputnik thing too, but I cant see the logic in 'cobbling' the two together. It'd be a bit like trying to run a stealth bomber on steam power !

I think that's where the 50's sci-fi comes in. An idea like that wouldn't work for an Indy film in the 30's and 40's but since there was a space race, missile testing and a greater belief in those days in such things, that for a movie, it could be plausible.

Matt Holcomb

When speculating about the nature of the MacGuffin featured in "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull", you have to consider that Lucas, Spielberg and Ford are all in the 60s; they are aging men, closer to the end than the beginning. Fear of death, and the age-old question of what follows it, would probably invade their thoughts with much greater frequency than when they were in their 30s and 40s. Therefore, it would be logical for the MacGuffin to be a byproduct of such thoughts and fears.

If the MacGuffin does turn out to be what I think it is, the Fountain of Youth as per the "Indiana Jones: Temple of the Crystal Skull" ride at Tokyo Disney, activated, or as in the "Temple of the Crystal Skull" ride, protected by a crystal skull, it's entirely plausible that a super power like the USSR would want to get their hands on it: achieving control of the planet would be a lot quicker -- and cheaper -- if you had a device that gave life rather than took it.

Last edited:

AHegele

If it does resurrect the dead. What if...

The soviets got their hands on the crystal skull and hold that power, but now they want the ark, so they resurrect Abner Ravenwood!!

;)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
CaliforniaJones said:
Especially one that slept with his Dad

She'd probably want to sleep with Mutt.:p

Seriously... It's going to be some kind of hell-raising spooky power that probably has the power to bring about the end of the world. Why else have a a title called "Indiana Jones and the Destroyer of Worlds" as one of six titles registered with the MPAA. I'm surprised no one's mentioned that.

bergstrom

AHegele said:
If it does resurrect the dead. What if...

The soviets got their hands on the crystal skull and hold that power, but now they want the ark, so they resurrect Abner Ravenwood!!

;)

They wouldn't need to rsurrect him just for that. The Ark is in a warehouse being looked after by "TOP MEN". But I still hope John Hurt is Abner!

B

Professor Jones

CaliforniaJones said:
It's called a sense of humor(y) You should try getting one;)

Eheheheheh :D

I found JerryKing's and CaliforniaJones' posts very funny, TheLastCrusader. Besides, in a way or in the other, Indiana is for each of us source of amusement!

Anyway I vote for some mystical power, such improving life and health, but that's more a hope than a convinction: I'm afraid the skulls will have some technological-alien-sciencefictional power.

Anyway I would settle even with apocalyptic power... that was very good in Raiders.

1ord3vil

Matt Holcomb said:
If the MacGuffin does turn out to be what I think it is, the Fountain of Youth
I think this is a possibility, as the concept is reasonably good, and it also fits with with Spielberg and Ford's initial perception that it was "too connected", perhaps with the healing powers of The Holy Grail.

On the other hand, the myth about the fountain of youth doesn't have anything to do with the genre of science fiction, and it doesn't fit very well with the Vanity Fair article which states that this is where the movie is going.

Of course, "fountain of youth" could simply be a metaphor for "kickass alien technology", in which case I'll have to wager that the more traditional take on the myth is vastly superior and that the movie will most likely suck saucer alien nuts.

Last edited:

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
More evidence for #3. Kinda like the head in Wild Wild West.
projector_rc.jpg