What would you like for a new game?

katanga

A game that is like ET/IM or a game that is like FoA/LC?
I would prefer something challenging like FoA/LC with some action sequences from ET, what do you say?

Tennessee R

I liked the general atmosphere of Infernal Machine,

The witty comments of Fate of Atlantis,

The logic, and dialogue of Last Crusade,

And the hand to hand combat of Emperor's Tomb.

I like the shooting of the PC version of 007|Nightfire.

The stealth of Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

Can they make a game with all of those elements in it?
I hope so.

Finn

Staff member
But it's slightly more Indy-like in a place full of Nazis than boasting in with guns blazing.

VP

Moderator Emeritus
Indeed it is. I hated the sneaking in Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast. If the Stormtroopers saw you, the game was over. I liked the ET one more. Although it would have been better if you could have unlimited ammo in the revolver.

Strider

I'd like to see a very open RPG sorta game. It would be in the same format as IM or ET athough there would be no levels! To get from place to place you would find a plane or a ship like in FOA. Each area would be large with lots of differant places to explore and quite a few differant people to talk to. At the same time there would be a heavy story plot behind it all involving Nazis and a cool artifact but there would be pleanty of opertunitys to drift away into your own adventures. There would also be alot of fistfighting like in ET as well as a nice arsenal of weapons like in IM. The envirments would also be destructible, so if you were board you could always blow up a chair or something.

PoorMarcus

Overall I liked Emperor's Tomb the puzzles,fighting,sound,music,and just the overall look and feel of the game was very much like the movies yet without copying any however the graphics were very very poor also it lacked any form of stealth which wouldn't need to be as strong as Splinter Cell but maybe in some missions should have been kind of Hitman like in feel as far as stealth goes kind of like in Raider's when Indy beats up the Nazi for his cloths also the shooting part of ET was kind of lacking also a Hitmanish feel would be nice and as always unlockables interviews,movie art,concept art,maybe fake bloppers would be funny,even to be able to play as Salleh or something

SigmaEcho

The perfect Indy Game

Anyone who's experienced either FoA or KotOR knows what an adventure element can do for a game. Everyone here who wants the next Indy game to be JUST action is out of their minds. Action games are very limited in what they can provide, as demonstrated in the last two indy games. ET was a vast improvement over the poor excuse for a game IM was. But I found both games fell into tedium with their excruciatingly long levels and uncompelling plots.

Even the movies themselves are a perfect balance of sharp dialogue, action and adventure. The perfect Indy game would follow suit. Take the adventure/dialogue elements from FoA and combine them with the modern KotR design. Then rip out the horrible RPG fighting and replace it with an improved ET fighting engine.

And the most important element of all: Write a plot worthy of the name Indiana Jones. The next game desperately needs a cinema quality presentation: 1. Pre-rendered cut scenes [take a look at what lucasarts did with "bounty hunter" and then look at the crappy cut scenes we got for ET] I think we deserve something on par with the best cut scenes being produced for video games these days, e.g. Warcraft III, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Onimusha III, etc... as these games have to live up to the movies that we know and love. 2. Cinema-quality dialogue. Westwood hired real screenwriters when they made "Blade Runner" why do we deserve simple one-liners? The potential is going unutilized. 3. I can't stress this enough: a plot worthy of the name Indiana Jones. The Indy games are the only narrative manifestation of Indy still being produced these days, and I for one need my Indy fix.

There are plenty of straight action games out there, we don't need any more of them. I refused to accept that only action games can be successful these days. Just look at KotOR! An Indy game that is a synthesis of the elements I listed would not only make for a groundbreaking game that breaks convention, not only be an awesome Indy game, but also A HUGE SUCCESS. Lucasarts has proven that they can make quality games. I for one would like to see some investment in their most neglected franchise.

Katarn07

*looks at last post*

Deja Vu anyone? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I hated that stealth mission in JO just because Kyle Katarn is a gun happy, sadistic bastard. So why is he sneaking around again? At least they could have put in thousands of stormtroopers and some giant turrets all over or something to give it a bit more realism.

Indy isn't like Kyle at all and does sneak around, but I did hate that level nonetheless. One of the harder ones. Took me a couple of days to complete. I did like how you could turn the alarms off if they were sounded and continue rather than ending the game right then and there like JO did.

It's about time that Raiders of the Lost Ark was given a good game. The Atari 2600 cart was fun at the time and as a piece of nostalgia, and the Raiders levels of the SNES game were the best of the entire game. Some kind of cross between ET & FOA type gameplay would be what I would go for.

Johan

They need to make a new game that is like how they made the Lord Of the Rings video games, where we are actually playing out the entire movie scene by scene, with video footage of the movie in between....Then you would truly feel a connection to the charachter, and hey what a good way to introduce your kids to the hero we all know and love (plutonically speaking)

Raffey

The only things I want is for Lucas to write the storyline. Speilberg to direct the flow of the game and Ford to do the Indiana Jones voiceover!

After that everything else is bonus!

Indyz Azn Gurl

Raffey said:
The only things I want is for Lucas to write the storyline. Speilberg to direct the flow of the game and Ford to do the Indiana Jones voiceover!

IN-FRICKIN-DEED!!!

Katarn07

Raffey said:

Hey, if Indy 4 never happens, can LEC take the story? :p

QueZTone

hmmm Finn you have those notes still? I tried looking for them here but I can't find them anymore. You know the msn conversation we had with the great Indy game ideas hehe :)

Finn

Staff member
I should still have it somewhere, Q... I recall we agreed on the game engine and even wrote half the script to it... the plot went a little haywire towards the end, can't recall if I got too tired or too drunk (or both), but I remember the beginning was good. Lot of Indy moments in that one.

P'haps we should rework it a little and finish it one day, my friend?

Katarn07

MSN saves your convos to a file somewhere on your harddrive somewhere. At least there was the option of doing that and I have it enabled.

I hope you guys saved it; I'd like to see more speculation :)

whipem

I would really like to be able to play bonus levels after beating the game. However, these levels should actually be scenes from the films (the flying wing, mine cart chase, and Brunwald castles would be good candidates). Also, it would be nice to have several driving levels (but not like in Enter the Matrix :(). Maybe, just maybe, you could also play as different characters. For instance, you could play stealth levels as a somewhat sneakier character (Short Round, perhaps?).

Katarn07

whipem816 said:
I would really like to be able to play bonus levels after beating the game. However, these levels should actually be scenes from the films (the flying wing, mine cart chase, and Brunwald castles would be good candidates). Also, it would be nice to have several driving levels (but not like in Enter the Matrix :(). Maybe, just maybe, you could also play as different characters. For instance, you could play stealth levels as a somewhat sneakier character (Short Round, perhaps?).

I like this idea alot. The bonus levels should allow you to play as the different characters perhaps?