Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Elsa Schneider

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Sophia Hapgood

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

Finn

Staff member
Now now, I see some harsh comments here. Although I'd prefer consulting Mr. Sam Earch as well before opening a new thread (nothing wrong with reviving old ones if it's done well), let's keep it civil.

Fixed the poll, btw. If Mei Ying's there, Sophia also has to be.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
MARION, DUDE!

Who else would I be voting for? For character reasons, coz she's actually got guts.

Vendetta08

If there's one thing Indy lacks in, it's good looking girls. Marion/Karen Allen was a pretty good actress but wasn't the best looking. Willie/Capshaw's acting was atrocious. Elsa/Alison was the best on the eyes but her acting sure wasn't.

Bah, I'm just going to go with Marion because she's the original and was spunky.

Eric Solo

Karen Allen is still hot! She was great in everything she was in especially Starman.
Nothing like a violent smart ass who can drink you under the table. Go Marion.

indy34

willie is anoying i chose marion my second choice would have been elsa even though she is a back stabing %$#^ch(y)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
The real shame is that I, Finn, and whoever don't have any non-pixelated pictures of Sophia Hapgood to post in threads like these. I feel that would change matters a bit.

eazybox

I love all 3 Indy girls, but would have to vote for Marion.

Willie's character is selfish and vain (but less so toward the end of the movie), and Elsa's duplicitous and self-serving nature nearly gets Indy, his dad, Marcus Brody and Sallah killed.

Marion's fragile external beauty and grace are enhanced by an inner core as tough as tempered steel-- a combination that makes her extremely appealing. So glad Karen Allen is back for IJ4.

All 3 of them did very good work with the material they were given.

Don't have any experience with the games.

Jack

ElsaFan

benjamins_struggle.jpg

Her.

|ZiR|

Willie!

She's the best of them, I find, because of her completely plausible reactions to everything that happens to her. She's a glitzy nightclub singer who was swept up, against her will, into this strange adventure.

She's argumentative, frightened, but she still makes it through in the end. People don't give her enough credit.

OK, she screams a lot. ("The trouble with her... is the noise." :rolleyes:) To be sure, most people, not necessarily females, would scream were they in her situation too. I probably would!

And I do like Marion. It's only that her character was never developed enough for my satisfaction. There's all this history between Indy and herself that's constantly alluded to throughout the film, but never divulged. Also, when Jones and the audience believe she died, it's like it hardly matters. "Oh, Marion blew up. That sucks." *cut to Indy drunk*

He hardly shows any emotion over it. I dunno. I don't like that.

And Elsa. Elsa, Elsa, Elsa. Much potential, though sadly her character took the backseat to Indy and papa Jones. Perhaps rightly so. Who can say? All I know is that I felt nothing for her. Not because she was a Nazi sympathizer, but because at the end of the film we are still as strangers.

I wonder, has Harrison Ford ever expressed to having a favorite leading lady? I don't mean the actresses who played them, rather the characters themselves. I get the feeling he likes Marion the best.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
|ZiR| said:
And I do like Marion. It's only that her character was never developed enough for my satisfaction. There's all this history between Indy and herself that's constantly alluded to throughout the film, but never divulged. Also, when Jones and the audience believe she died, it's like it hardly matters. "Oh, Marion blew up. That sucks." *cut to Indy drunk*

Well, I'd say the emotion is definitely there; I don't expect Indy to fall down to the ground, weeping, and to resort to sackcloth and ashes. He hit the bottle pretty dramatically, and he seemed pretty upset.

Also, you mention how the history between them is constantly alluded to - quite so. To explicitly divulge what happened would be to take away from the film, because we don't really need to know.

|ZiR|

Attila the Professor said:
Well, I'd say the emotion is definitely there; I don't expect Indy to fall down to the ground, weeping, and to resort to sackcloth and ashes. He hit the bottle pretty dramatically, and he seemed pretty upset.

Yes, you're right about that. It would be out of character for Indiana. I think it's more the pacing of the film in regards to the events that bugs me. It all happens too fast for my tastes. He see Marion again for the first time in 10 (?) years, there's little dialogue, a tense bar brawl, and the very next thing they're in Cairo. Again, few bits of cute banter between Indy and Marion, fight breaks out, Marion dies.

I hate that. Marion is introduced, then killed off in in like 15 - 20 mins! That's just... poor pacing, imo. It's sort of the same thing with Elsa, except Marion thankfully shows up again and is sucessfully made as her own person. Imagine if we didn't have the scenes between Marion and Belloq in the tent, and the next time we saw her was when Indy does. That would be terrible.

And, yeah. Uhm, I think I've sort of lost whatever point I was trying to make. Ha. I suppose all I want to say is that, at the end of the day, I believe Marion is a good character who's almost ruined by shoddy pacing and/or writing. That's all. But I admit that she certainly get's her own back after her reappearance.

Also, you mention how the history between them is constantly alluded to - quite so. To explicitly divulge what happened would be to take away from the film, because we don't really need to know.

That's probably true. Raiders is, at heart, an action film. A quick, "on the edge of your seat" rollercoaster ride. The sort of emotional scene that would go along with a deep, drawn out discussion of their past would detract from the story.

But, well, I'm stickler for details! I can't help but want to know. It's bad enough that we're never even given Marion's birthdate, so we'll never know how inappropriate their relationship actually was. And how did Marion end up stuck in Nepal? Questions beg answers.

metalinvader

Marion is awesome! Lots of spunk and isn't afraid to throw a punch when needed!Elsa may have been the sexiest but Marion had it where it counted in the personality area!