General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

bennihana123

Is it just me, or was KotCS very bright. I noticed in some scenes, the light was reflecting and shining on everything.

A darker Indy V would be welcome.

James

bennihana123 said:
Is it just me, or was KotCS very bright. I noticed in some scenes, the light was reflecting and shining on everything.

It reminded me of what might happen if an 80's Indy film were crossed with a 50's Technicolor effort like This Island Earth, Invaders From Mars, or War of the Worlds. Of course, this may or may not have been intentional on Spielberg's part. (I don't know if he ever openly acknowledged it.)

deckard24

HJJNR said:
It's just gone 2am so I aint spending all night on it so here's a quick 10 minute job. I was thinking if mid 40's he would look a somewhere between LC and KOTCS in age. I slimmed Mack out a bit too, darkened his hair and other stuff.

039_Inside_Bunker.jpg

Compared to KOTCS

991130-photo-1942.jpg
Good work for such a short amount of time, but to be honest it looks like a video game still, especially Mac's face.

Originally Posted by James
I just can't see Ford going along with any attempts to digitally turn back the clock. After all, he could've easily played the character more than a few years younger, but instead made a point of acknowledging the full 19 years

I think you're right, after all he didn't even want to dye his hair for Skull, so a full scale digital de-aging will probably not make him too happy.

Originally Posted by Indyfan4ever
It was intentional, it was mention in 'the making' segment. The guy in charge of the lighting was saying how he sat with Spielberg and they watched the original three over and over again. He said they wanted a warm tone and soft light to match the previous three. Hope that helped!
I do remember a discussion with Janusz Kaminiski about their attempt at emulating Slocombe's look, but unfortunately I don't think they got it. The film in general does feel overly bright, but in an artificial way, as seen through a hazy filter.

Darth Vile

James said:
I just can't see Ford going along with any attempts to digitally turn back the clock. After all, he could've easily played the character more than a few years younger, but instead made a point of acknowledging the full 19 years.

Hmmm, perhaps... But I think there is a distinction between Spielberg/Lucas wanting Ford to play/look younger than he is for the duration of an entire movie, and a plot/narrative element that requires a substantially younger Indy for a segment. I really don't believe Ford would have that much of an issue, as long as it was narrative necessity e.g. prologue set in 1930's/40's which underpins the plot of the main story.

bennihana123

deckard24 said:
I do remember a discussion with Janusz Kaminiski about their attempt at emulating Slocombe's look, but unfortunately I don't think they got it. The film in general does feel overly bright, but in an artificial way, as seen through a hazy filter.

Artificial was the word I was looking for. I just thought it made the set pieces (and especially the CGI environments) looks fake and manufactured.

Practical make-up with minimal CGI manipulation could really make Harrison look a lot younger than he is. If it's anything along the lines of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I'd be happy.

James

deckard24 said:

I remember the Slocombe discussion, so I was mainly wondering whether or not Spielberg ever acknowledged a Technicolor influence. He's a huge fan of Invaders From Mars- just to name one- so it seems highly likely than those older films became a factor during the production of KOTCS.

Even though most fans only compared the film to the 80's look, we have to remember that Lucas and Spielberg were still aiming for the 50's as well. If someone were to attempt to combine the two, KOTCS seems awfully close to what it would probably look like.

Darth Vile said:
Hmmm, perhaps... But I think there is a distinction between Spielberg/Lucas wanting Ford to play/look younger than he is for the duration of an entire movie, and a plot/narrative element that requires a substantially younger Indy for a segment. I really don't believe Ford would have that much of an issue, as long as it was narrative necessity e.g. prologue set in 1930's/40's which underpins the plot of the main story.

I agree Ford probably wouldn't have a problem with the general storytelling idea, but that raises the question of whether Spielberg would. Would he be eager to recycle a technique that had already been used so well in LC? After all, he didn't want Indy to have a daughter simply because of The Lost World.

It's one thing to include the trademark elements everyone expects, but LC's prologue employed a pretty specific gimmick. Even though the Indy films always include recycled stuff, Lucas and Spielberg do seem to make an effort to avoid (consciously) repeating themselves.

arkfinder

They won't go back in time. That would be just plain stupid. Now that Mutt is on board as a rather strong character I think they'll buil even more on that so if they choose to branch out and give him his own films they can do that.

Shia Defends His Mom Comments, Talks 'Indiana Jones' And 'Wall Street'

On another Indiana Jones film:

"I'm an actor for hire. I have no control in terms of that movie. Last I heard they're making progress in terms of the story. I know Harrison [Ford] is fired up to get back in there as soon as possible and George [Lucas] and Steven [Spielberg] want to make another one...They're making progress but nothing is definite about it. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/20/shia-defends-his-mom-comm_n_218378.html

deckard24

bennihana123 said:
Artificial was the word I was looking for. I just thought it made the set pieces (and especially the CGI environments) looks fake and manufactured.

Practical make-up with minimal CGI manipulation could really make Harrison look a lot younger than he is. If it's anything along the lines of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I'd be happy.
The funny thing is they used a ton of on set locations, as well as elaborate sets in the great outdoors, where natural lighting would have worked beautifully. I know there has to be some tinkering with natural lighting, especially in post-production, but that hazy, washed out, metallic look of Kaminski's style only took away from the film in my opinion.

I agree if they went the route of Benjamin Button that could work well, and Ford might be more apt to do it if it's only part of the storyline. If the whole thing was done with a younger version of himself, I'm sure he'd want nothing to do with the film.

Originally Posted by James
I remember the Slocombe discussion, so I was mainly wondering whether or not Spielberg ever acknowledged a Technicolor influence. He's a huge fan of Invaders From Mars- just to name one- so it seems highly likely than those older films became a factor during the production of KOTCS.

Even though most fans only compared the film to the 80's look, we have to remember that Lucas and Spielberg were still aiming for the 50's as well. If someone were to attempt to combine the two, KOTCS seems awfully close to what it would probably look like.

I don't know if he acknowledged the influence of technicolor, but in the Doomtown sequence it sure looks like it.

I get they were attempting to emulate the 50's, but Slocombe's style really brought a warmth to the films, that sadly Skull didn't have. It felt like a film trying to look period, as opposed to the original series which naturally did.

FordFan

If Indy 5 is made, I hope it doesn't become a history lesson. Sure, give it some context, but just because it takes place in the 60s doesn't mean it has to have Jones become Forrest Gump.

FordFan said:
If Indy 5 is made, I hope it doesn't become a history lesson. Sure, give it some context, but just because it takes place in the 60s doesn't mean it has to have Jones become Forrest Gump.

i wouldnt mind if he punched a hippie or two though:whip:

Darth Vile

James said:

deckard24 said:
The funny thing is they used a ton of on set locations, as well as elaborate sets in the great outdoors, where natural lighting would have worked beautifully. I know there has to be some tinkering with natural lighting, especially in post-production, but that hazy, washed out, metallic look of Kaminski's style only took away from the film in my opinion.

I don't know if he acknowledged the influence of technicolor, but in the Doomtown sequence it sure looks like it.

I get they were attempting to emulate the 50's, but Slocombe's style really brought a warmth to the films, that sadly Skull didn't have. It felt like a film trying to look period, as opposed to the original series which naturally did.

To be fair to Kaminski, whilst the lighting in some places does seem strangely over exposed/false (e.g. Ants!), there are numerous sequences where the lighting successfully harkens back to not only the original 3 Indy movies, but some of those period movies that inspired it (as you said James - Invaders From Mars springs to mind for the technicolor elements)…

Scenes such as the warehouse, Doomtown, train station, diner, cemetery/Orellan’s tomb and Akator, seem to get the lighting spot on. It’s a “faux” Slocombe look for sure, but whilst never as good as Slocombe, it’s a decent enough replication for most of the time…

Vendetta08

I don't want any CGI to make Ford look younger. No thanks! Some makeup at most.

They just need to film Indy 5(if it's going to be made) really soon before Ford is in his 70s, he'd just be too old then.

Hey guys and gals! I agree with most of you...there should be no CGI work. Just proper lighting/makeup/camera angles. I have a few links here with various screenshots from 'Skull'. With proper angles/lighting, Harrison looks very very young. In the first two shots, it looks like Ford from the 80's.

http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/gallery/dvdscreenshots/278.jpg
http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/gallery/dvdscreenshots/263.jpg
http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/gallery/dvdscreenshots/202.jpg
http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/gallery/dvdscreenshots/209.jpg
http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/gallery/dvdscreenshots/023.jpg
http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/gallery/dvdscreenshots/404.jpg
http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/gallery/dvdscreenshots/429.jpg
http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/gallery/dvdscreenshots/486.jpg
http://www.theraider.net/films/indy4/gallery/dvdscreenshots/487.jpg

I made this pic from one of the stills. Compare them. Ford just needs a good tan and alittle makeup...and I'm sure he'll look atleast 10 years younger(y)

-IndyFan4Ever:whip:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AtticProductions08

emtiem

Rocket Surgeon said:
On another Indiana Jones film:

"I'm an actor for hire. I have no control in terms of that movie. Last I heard they're making progress in terms of the story. I know Harrison [Ford] is fired up to get back in there as soon as possible and George [Lucas] and Steven [Spielberg] want to make another one...They're making progress but nothing is definite about it. "

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/20/shia-defends-his-mom-comm_n_218378.html

Well this is good then; so it definitely seems (as far as Shia knows) that all three are onboard. Big news.

Darth Vile said:
To be fair to Kaminski, whilst the lighting in some places does seem strangely over exposed/false (e.g. Ants!), there are numerous sequences where the lighting successfully harkens back to not only the original 3 Indy movies, but some of those period movies that inspired it (as you said James - Invaders From Mars springs to mind for the technicolor elements)?

Scenes such as the warehouse, Doomtown, train station, diner, cemetery/Orellan?s tomb and Akator, seem to get the lighting spot on. It?s a ?faux? Slocombe look for sure, but whilst never as good as Slocombe, it?s a decent enough replication for most of the time?

Yeah, I was watching it yesterday, and it's a good-looking movie. I'd happened to stick the Rocketeer in earlier, and KOTCS looks a million dollars next to that.
I think KOTCS actually looked worse on the movie screen as it seemed a bit washed out- looks good on a big TV.

emtiem

Darth Vile said:
I'd go along with that... although, as we’ve mentioned before, I think Spielberg would probably be more inclined to "homage" the early Hitchcock movies e.g. 'The 39 Steps', 'Foreign Correspondent', ‘Sabotage’ etc. (which I can definitely imagine looking very "Indy").

Yes definitely- I'd kick it all off with the Indy on the run (he's The Wrong Man, of course) segment from City of the Gods, but have the rooftop chase across 50's Monte Carlo- very Cary Grant.

This advert shows the kind of visual feel it could have, and why not use the washing lines too? :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSTC5PwefHk

deckard24

Darth Vile said:
To be fair to Kaminski, whilst the lighting in some places does seem strangely over exposed/false (e.g. Ants!), there are numerous sequences where the lighting successfully harkens back to not only the original 3 Indy movies, but some of those period movies that inspired it (as you said James - Invaders From Mars springs to mind for the technicolor elements)?

Scenes such as the warehouse, Doomtown, train station, diner, cemetery/Orellan?s tomb and Akator, seem to get the lighting spot on. It?s a ?faux? Slocombe look for sure, but whilst never as good as Slocombe, it?s a decent enough replication for most of the time?
Skull did have some moments that generally meshed well with the look and feel of Slocombe's, and as I mentioned in an earlier post a few months back, after watching it at home the differences were not as noticeable. However seeing it on the big screen was a different story, and as Emtiem mentioned, the washed out look is much more prevalent. Scenes such as Indy being pulled from the trunk of the car in the intro, his classroom scene, leaving the Chauchilla cemetery, the ant fight, the chase through the ruins of Akator, and watching the spaceship take flight were all extremely hazy and washed out, giving them an artificial computerized feel.

Darth Vile

deckard24 said:
Skull did have some moments that generally meshed well with the look and feel of Slocombe's, and as I mentioned in an earlier post a few months back, after watching it at home the differences were not as noticeable. However seeing it on the big screen was a different story, and as Emtiem mentioned, the washed out look is much more prevalent. Scenes such as Indy being pulled from the trunk of the car in the intro, his classroom scene, leaving the Chauchilla cemetery, the ant fight, the chase through the ruins of Akator, and watching the spaceship take flight were all extremely hazy and washed out, giving them an artificial computerized feel.

I certainly remember it being more evident in the cinema. So do we think that is just the nature of seeing it on the big screen i.e. some of the lighting seems more subtle on the small screen, or do we think that perhaps a pre DVD release colour correction took place?