Theory: Beginning of movie takes place earlier?

Darth Vile

lynchpin

I see your point, but if you can recall Indiana's arrival at Marion's bar in Nepal... that was an iconic shot and that was circa 45 minutes into the movie. So I don't see that shot in the trailer having to be Indiana's intro (although I recognize that it may very well be).

Kinglsey,

Again - I think it's a possibility that the warehouse could appear in two sections of the movie i.e. top and tail the movie.

lynchpin

Let me show you what I am use to...

Good point! -- but it's also used for the villans later on in the same scene and makes up a lot of the dramatic choreography of the fight.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
lynchpin said:
Good point! -- but it's also used for the villans later on in the same scene and makes up a lot of the dramatic choreography of the fight.

I see the point of your argument how also consider with your pretentious film studentism argument this could also be the juxtaposition between the shots in the editing. Afteral, this teaser is introducing/re-introducing the world to Indiana Jones and to the cast of KOTCS. With different editing, the story can be told with substancial difference.

No Ticket

Shortie said:
Maybe. Then what's the warehouse scene for (i.e. artifact)?

I just realized. That if the warehouse scene is revealing the skull it probably IS NOT the opening. Because it seems relevant to the main plot of the story somehow. I imagine the opening will be, like the others, disconnected in that sense... but it might "merge" into the main plot like TOD's opening did if it all takes place in 1957.

... which makes a lot of sense, actually.

That Empire photo is very cool.

eroc

I don't think they showed any of the opening sequence in the teaser trailer. Call it a hunch, but...

I believe the start of the movie will remain a secret until opening day.

Adamwankenobi

barranca said:
Ray winstone says in the Empire article that his character and Indy were involved with Intelligence work with the Russians during WWII. That could explain some of the shots where Indy's hair is darker (13-14yrs younger). The film we know starts with the end of one adventure before the next, I think this is likely to be set towards the end of WWII.

:eek: That's what he does during World War I in YIJC! It makes perfect sense that he would continue working for intelligience (the only war job he seemed to like) during World War II.

eroc

There is no way that warehouse scene is part of the beginning of the movie. Was the first 10-15 minutes ever shown in a trailer before? It's always been a different adventure. Why would it be the main thrust of the trailer? That would be just lame.

Comments, questions, concerns?

GlasgowChivas

barranca said:
Ray winstone says in the Empire article that his character and Indy were involved with Intelligence work with the Russians during WWII. That could explain some of the shots where Indy's hair is darker (13-14yrs younger). The film we know starts with the end of one adventure before the next, I think this is likely to be set towards the end of WWII.

Ray Winstone confirms in Total Film that the above history is just something he concocted himself to show Speilberg how he was approaching the caharcter of Mac and how he would interact with Indy.

Believe the quote was " I'm making all this up by the way."

lynchpin

eroc said:
There is no way that warehouse scene is part of the beginning of the movie. Was the first 10-15 minutes ever shown in a trailer before? It's always been a different adventure. Why would it be the main thrust of the trailer? That would be just lame.

Comments, questions, concerns?

With the exception of Crusade, parts of the prologue were in every trailer. What better way to keep the rest of the film's sequences pretty much in shadow by showing as much of the beginning as possible?

And judging by the videos on the official site, parts of this sequence were likely filmed first, making them also likely to be the most polished in post production at the time of the teaser's creation. My idea doesn't suggest that it's the same adventure; but it is related. Every prologue has served to establish characters and motivation in the three previous films and what better way than this? Where are Marion and Mutt if this is a scene much later in the film? I recall Shia saying they had done filming in "the warehouse" referring to the Raiders warehouse, but does that mean he had scenes in it? May not.

Fifty-four days and counting!

Darth Vile

I don't think there are any hard rules we can apply here. Shooting is not usually done chronologically so we can?t assume that the first few days of filming were for the opening scenes. That said, it may very well be the intro? but from what we?ve seen so far, it just seems that there is a hell of a lot of action here which makes me feel that this is one of the key action scenes of the entire movie (and not simply the opening).

IndyFan89

What if the begining of CS is very much like Raiders.

For example, the Ark would take the place of the Idol. We would find Indy knee deep in trouble, racing angainst Mac trying to get the Ark back but somehow the russians have got invovled and captured Indy and Mac. They could use it as a way to introduce Cate and Ray's characters(like introducing Belloq at the begining of Raiders) while reintroducing Indy(Hense the line "Not as easy as it used to be.").

Maybe Indy gets away with the Ark and go's home and later on when the new adventure starts he already has a relationship with some of the characters.

Dr.Sartorius

Spielberg from the new Empire magazine:

"It follows the same sine-wave pattern as the first three films," "There is the characteristic teaser that is the third act of a film we never got to see-"

lynchpin

Sankara said:

None of those images are from the warehouse sequence.

That's an awful lot of trees to be in and around a supposed secret military base in the middle of the desert.

Sankara

Right!!!!None of those images are from the warehouse sequence!!! He has the same hair in the whole movie!!! Ford wasn't made yonger for any scenes... *LOL*