General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Mickiana

Or Henry Sr leaves clues in a diary of sorts for the whereabouts of some mysterious artifact. That sounds really vague, doesn't it? If its padded up with a good story line, who knows...?

monkey

Udvarnoky said:
Worldwide totals are more interesting. In the case of Indy over half the revenue comes from overseas territories. It depends on the brand. Indy is more universally loved, whereas American comic adaptations like Batman or Iron Man will obviously do most of its business stateside (though TDK was pretty impressive in this regard - even the people who expected incredible numbers for the TDK has low overseas expectations based on Batman Begins). Iron Man, for example, did much much, much worse than Indy4 overseas, so that it inched out Indy4 domestically doesn't really tell the whole story.

What the Indy domestic totals illustrate is the drop-off between sequels. The difference between Raiders and the first sequel is naturally significant, whereas the drop-offs you see between the sequels are very comparable and natural. Indy4 did precisely the kind of business it should have with the decrease from Crusade being almost the same as the decrease from Temple to Crusade, and I think Lucas's statement that "we were hoping for those kind of numbers" agrees with that.

It all sounds a bit too corporate for me.

Unfortunately I think that the Art is being lost in the $$$$$.

No surprise.

Indy V will be a corporate Whore.

Jack Nelligan

EddyW said:
So now the story is about the hat? I get a feeling you're not very serious here... Passing it on to Short Round? Son of Mutt? Glad you're not in the writing chair, if you don't mind me saying so.

The hat is a metaphor !

I get the feeling that no one actually wants Shia/Mutt to carry on the Indy series, so just putting some options out there. For that matter, I get the feeling that people don?t want the series to continue at all with out Harrison Ford. The man is 65 and would be pushing 70 by the time Indy V came out. He can?t do it forever, so if you want it to continue and don?t want Shia in the lead roll, you need to think outside the box. What?s wrong with Shortyor Mutt?s son, who could actually be named Indiana Jones? ;)

Jack Nelligan said:
The hat is a metaphor !

I get the feeling that no one actually wants Shia/Mutt to carry on the Indy series, so just putting some options out there. For that matter, I get the feeling that people don’t want the series to continue at all with out Harrison Ford. The man is 65 and would be pushing 70 by the time Indy V came out. He can’t do it forever, so if you want it to continue and don’t want Shia in the lead roll, you need to think outside the box. What’s wrong with Shortyor Mutt’s son, who could actually be named Indiana Jones? ;)

Nothing is wrong if you want to go the fairy tale route, hell change his name to the Dread Pirate Roberts.

Harrison should continue as he's able. Once he decides to give it up, fine. But if they can change genres like they have I can see Indy's adventures taking different forms. Now I don't want to see him narrowly avoid breaking his hip, or discoving his lost dentures, but Shorty? Really?As was mentioned in another thread, maybe even this one, lets see some of Indy's OTHER friends/collegues. Lets drop this mining the past crap and family get-a-ways. For what Indy can't do physically,lets see him be more clever, put his experience to the test. Lets see him actually school someone.

Jack Nelligan

Rocket Surgeon said:
Nothing is wrong if you want to go the fairy tale route, hell change his name to the Dread Pirate Roberts.

Harrison should continue as he's able. Once he decides to give it up, fine. But if they can change genres like they have I can see Indy's adventures taking different forms. Now I don't want to see him narrowly avoid breaking his hip, or discoving his lost dentures, but Shorty? Really?As was mentioned in another thread, maybe even this one, lets see some of Indy's OTHER friends/collegues. Lets drop this mining the past crap and family get-a-ways. For what Indy can't do physically,lets see him be more clever, put his experience to the test. Lets see him actually school someone.

My point is, that if the series is to continue, and I doubt Harrison will be involved in any movie past Indy V, there will have to be a ?passing of the hat? to someone. Shorty may be a little out there, but if people don?t like Shia, and that?s the vibe I get, who else could it be. Why not Indy?s Grandson?

EddyW

It wouldn't work, because Indiana Jones lives in a time period where there was still stuff to be discovered without using Google Earth. Grandson of Mutt would make for a completely different series that has nothing to do with what Indy films are about. Let's say Mutt gets a daughter... we'd get Tomb Raider, not Indiana Jones with hotpants on.

Jack Nelligan

EddyW said:
It wouldn't work, because Indiana Jones lives in a time period where there was still stuff to be discovered without using Google Earth. Grandson of Mutt would make for a completely different series that has nothing to do with what Indy films are about. Let's say Mutt gets a daughter... we'd get Tomb Raider, not Indiana Jones with hotpants on.

If they go with Mutt, we are talking about a the earliest, the mid sixties, because you know Indy will make him finish school before he does anything else. That puts us into the Vietnam war, and Mutt may even serve as his Dad did. Now we are pushing the 70?s and there is not much to discover, as you put it, then that we don?t know about now. Nothing really good anyway that would make for a great adventure. So why not jump ahead to the 80?s and Mutt?s son?

EddyW

Allright, I my post was a bit unclear. Mutt's son in the 80's wouldn't mean globetrotting with just a whip and a gun, in a world where spiders, ancient tribes and rolling boulders are your enemy, it would be a completely different thing that is so far from the core of the Indy franchise, it could be called anything. Tomb Raider, James Bond, the Librarian, whatever. I wouldn't be interested.

James

Darth Vile said:
If I were playing the devils advocate, I?d say I?m not sure that?s specifically true. Henry Jones Senior?s gunshot would/should have re-opened as soon as he left the temple (if the Grails powers only work within). My reading would be, if you drink from the Grail in the temple, its attributes remain (although diminish over time).

Actually, you may have hit upon the cause of Henry Sr.'s death here. Perhaps one morning over tea, the gunshot simply reopened? ;)

Jack Nelligan

James said:
Actually, you may have hit upon the cause of Henry Sr.'s death here. Perhaps one morning over tea, the gunshot simply reopened? ;)

What if Elsa drank from the Grail in the crevasse and is still alive? That would be a good twist!

Jack Nelligan

EddyW said:
Allright, I my post was a bit unclear. Mutt's son in the 80's wouldn't mean globetrotting with just a whip and a gun, in a world where spiders, ancient tribes and rolling boulders are your enemy, it would be a completely different thing that is so far from the core of the Indy franchise, it could be called anything. Tomb Raider, James Bond, the Librarian, whatever. I wouldn't be interested.

Eventually, if it going to continue, the series has to move into a more modern time, and anything after the 50?s is getting there fast. In the 80?s there are still large parts of the globe that are stuck in the dark ages, and would make for some good adventures, such as most of Central and South America, 90% of Africa, India, Alaska, and even behind the Iron Curtain. Most of the areas where Indy had adventures in the 4 previous movies are pretty much the same today as they were back then. Who knows, maybe Mutt?s son Indy could help bring down the Berlin wall. :cool:

I think everyone needs to come to the realization that without Harrison in the lead roll as Indy, the series is dead! I don?t think Shia has the stones to pull it off?????:whip:

Darth Vile

Jack Nelligan said:
Eventually, if it going to continue, the series has to move into a more modern time, and anything after the 50’s is getting there fast. In the 80’s there are still large parts of the globe that are stuck in the dark ages, and would make for some good adventures, such as most of Central and South America, 90% of Africa, India, Alaska, and even behind the Iron Curtain. Most of the areas where Indy had adventures in the 4 previous movies are pretty much the same today as they were back then. Who knows, maybe Mutt’s son Indy could help bring down the Berlin wall. :cool:

I think everyone needs to come to the realization that without Harrison in the lead roll as Indy, the series is dead! I don’t think Shia has the stones to pull it off?????:whip:

If they are going to do something "new" or "different" with Indiana Jones (as fashionable as this trend is today), it seems to make more sense to go back in time rather than forward. I'd much rather see a movie with a different leading actor playing a young Indy in the 1920's, than a movie set in the 60's/70's or 80's...

Jack Nelligan

Darth Vile said:
If they are going to do something "new" or "different" with Indiana Jones (as fashionable as this trend is today), it seems to make more sense to go back in time rather than forward. I'd much rather see a movie with a different leading actor playing a young Indy in the 1920's, than a movie set in the 60's/70's or 80's...

So you agree that Mutt/Shia should not be under the "hat" going forward?

YouNeverKnow

Jack Nelligan said:

Yes I agree with this. There's little room for these types of adventures moving forward (even though the spots of the globe you picked might work). If someone new MUST wear the hat, they would have to *restart* the franchise, which I also am not for. Harrison Ford = Indiana Jones and that's that. Nobody does it better. This isn't like Bond where they can just update it, the setting has everything to do with the mythos.

Johnny Nys

Indeed. Bond, Batman, Superman, anyone else I've missed, are very different, as characters and as franchises, but I can't really put my finger on why that is, exactly. A reboot of Indiana Jones just doesn't compute with me, also because, frankly, how many stories can you tell with Indy in the lead? We already have four movies, there are dozens of novels, comic books, several computer/console games, ... The world is a big place, but not that big to warrant yet another mythological discovery, once again discovered by the same person.

Darth Vile

Jack Nelligan said:

Yep. I have no issue with seeing an "offshoot" movie, but for me it would be comparable, in concept, with an Ewok or Droids movie i.e. interesting in theory, but almost impossible to make it better than the original premise. If there are to be more movies based around a man in a hat dodging booby traps in ancient tombs, I'd much rather it be Indiana Jones (be that with a different actor, cartoon or whatever) than "Son of", "Bride of" or "Distant cousin of"... :)

Besides, as much as I love Ford as Indiana Jones, it seems such as simple step to take him back to his first adventures that I can't believe it won't happen. There are a wealth of characters to re-introduce... be that Henry Jones Senior, Belloq, Sallah, Abner Ravenwood, Oxley, Brody etc. etc. It seems crazy not to give it a go... at some point...

Johnny Nys said:
Indeed. Bond, Batman, Superman, anyone else I've missed, are very different, as characters and as franchises, but I can't really put my finger on why that is, exactly. A reboot of Indiana Jones just doesn't compute with me, also because, frankly, how many stories can you tell with Indy in the lead? We already have four movies, there are dozens of novels, comic books, several computer/console games, ... The world is a big place, but not that big to warrant yet another mythological discovery, once again discovered by the same person.

I think the Indy universe is only as limited as the universe of Bond, Batman, Superman etc. There is no reason, unless they remove it too far from it's original premise, that Indy can't have more adventures over the next 30 years (I mean they've had multiple movies out of Harry Potter and Spiderman).

kongisking

Jack Nelligan said:
Why not have Mutt and Indy working together in the film and basically having Indy training Mutt, of course only after Mutt has finished school, to become a great Archeologist like Indy. Maybe at the end there could be an injury to Indy that would prevent him from going on any further adventures, nothing serious, maybe a bum knee, since Harrison really has bad knees, or a minor gun shot wound? Then there could be a symbolic changing of the guard when Indy passes the hat, literally, to Mutt and the series continues!?!?!?!?!?

That would be an excellent way to pass the torch to young Henry III, but unfortunately it will never happen, thanks to all the fanboys who would carve up Lucas and feed him to their pets, if he ever did it. Sigh. Haters, what are we gonna do with 'em?