General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

kongisking

James said:
Actually, you may have hit upon the cause of Henry Sr.'s death here. Perhaps one morning over tea, the gunshot simply reopened? ;)

Say, that actually sounds fairly plausible...good thinking!

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Darth Vile said:
Yep. I have no issue with seeing an "offshoot" movie, but for me it would be comparable, in concept, with an Ewok or Droids movie i.e. interesting in theory, but almost impossible to make it better than the original premise. If there are to be more movies based around a man in a hat dodging booby traps in ancient tombs, I'd much rather it be Indiana Jones (be that with a different actor, cartoon or whatever) than "Son of", "Bride of" or "Distant cousin of"... :)

Besides, as much as I love Ford as Indiana Jones, it seems such as simple step to take him back to his first adventures that I can't believe it won't happen. There are a wealth of characters to re-introduce... be that Henry Jones Senior, Belloq, Sallah, Abner Ravenwood, Oxley, Brody etc. etc. It seems crazy not to give it a go... at some point...

I think the Indy universe is only as limited as the universe of Bond, Batman, Superman etc. There is no reason, unless they remove it too far from it's original premise, that Indy can't have more adventures over the next 30 years (I mean they've had multiple movies out of Harry Potter and Spiderman).

I totally agree with you on this. It's a wasted opportunity if they didn't go with the earlier adventures should the series have a reboot.

Indyfan82

Yet another idea for Indiana Jones 5

Hey- I just kinda hit upon this idea recently for a 5th. Indiana Jones movie and thought I'd share it here. First off, I'll say this- I have enjoyed all of the Indiana Jones movies, but it does kind of feel that it's about come time to see things come to a close, honestly. I can see Harrison Ford squeezing out at least one more Indiana Jones movie, but I really don't know about any more beyond that. It would depend on how quickly things moved and how much he still wanted to do it. Somehow though, it just seems like 5 would be a great number to go out on.
I honestly really would not care to see the further adventures of Mutt Williams Jones and I don't really care to see a reboot with a younger actor, perhaps portraying Indy's adventures in the '20s. If they actually used the plotlines of the novels and comic books, I might be interested then. But somehow I'm not sure I really see that happening.
I think it would be nice to see at least one last Indiana Jones movie starring Harrison Ford though. This would be another fun adventure for me and it might also help pacify all those out there that were not so thrilled with "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". That movie was a great homage to the 1950s sci-fi and B-movie pictures of the time. Now that that's been done with- just as the first three movies were great homages to the 1930s pulp action movie serials of that time- I think a fifth Indy movie could pay homage to one other particular genre of films.
First for the setting- I really like going with 1959. This would be just a few years after the last movie and it would keep Indy in the '50s. Somehow I just don't see him in the '60s as well- though I suppose if we had to the early '60s could still work. Anyway- the Communists would still make for a great villian as the Cold War would definitely still be going on and in 1959 there was the whole U2 incident and all to draw on, not to mention the Cuban Missile Crisis happening soon in 1962. So anyway- I was thinking this would be perfect to use that setting and have Indy pay homage to a great film genre that was huge in the '60s- the spy film! I mean- there were TV shows like Danger Man (aka Secret Agent Man), I Spy, The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and Get Smart (though the latter two were parodies of course). And even more than these. And of course, in 1962 there was the first James Bond movie, Dr. No. And it starred the original classic- Sean Connery!
Would that not be totally bringing things full circle to pay homage to the spy genre considering that not only did the original James Bond, Sean Connery, play Indiana Jones' father, Henry Jones Senior, in "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"- but also, the whole idea of Indiana Jones came through George Lucas and Steven Spielberg discussing the idea of directing a James Bond movie and George telling Steven about this better idea he had!
Now the only question from here would be finding the right MacGuffin. I would prefer to stay away from legendary creatures and such like Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, leprechauns, etc. They do sorta fit in the paranormal world, but there's still better artifacts that would work better I think. I'd also rather not use items that have already been used in the books, video games and comic books, etc. Which leaves a rather precious few.
However, as far as I'm aware, Indy hasn't gone after the Garden of Eden before. I remember hearing this rumored in a possible plot for the 4th. movie and I honestly think it could make for a cool movie.
The other thing though, is that I wouldn't want Indy to go after something obviously totally made up, like the Pearl of Wisdom Alvin and the Chipmunks go after in "Daytona Jones and the Pearl of Wisdom" (episode from the "Chipmunks Go to the Movies" series)
So, whether the artifact truly exists or not, I would still like it to be something from a recognizable legend or lore or whatever. And as such, I think Excalibur from the King Arthur stories would work nicely. It would be kinda fitting too, since Henry Sr. was so big into studying the Crusades and medieval times. It would make sense that Indy would be well familiar with Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table through his dad's work, as well as studying them himself. Perhaps it could be worked in to be a personal thing for his dad somehow. I don't know. Maybe it should be a different artifact altogether.
But it should be something that the Communists would be hunting after to use as a weapon against America in the fight for supremacy through the Cold War (as personified by the space race in the late '50s and '60s- Russia got to the moon first with a dog named Sputnik in 1957, but the USA beat them there with a man on the moon named Neil Armstrong (among others) in 1969.) So I think this angle could work well. Excalibur might actually work well for this purpose too.
Anyway- those are just my suggestions on it. I'll look forward to seeing whatever eventuates in any case. They need to get on it though. It's not too late- to whip it, whip it good!:whip: (y)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
No macguffin agreement?
Where was this quote recorded?

Lucas: "Steven and I are talking about it, and Harrison, and hopefully we'll figure it out. It's hard to figure out what the movie should be about. We all have ideas and hopefully we'll come to a conclusion on it at some point."

Dr.Sartorius

Moedred said:
No macguffin agreement?

Lucas: "Steven and I are talking about it, and Harrison, and hopefully we'll figure it out. It's hard to figure out what the movie should be about. We all have ideas and hopefully we'll come to a conclusion on it at some point."

Yeah I thought Lucas said previously that he had come up with another mcguffin.

Jones Disciple

Having the macguffin and determining what the "movie should be about" are different things. They developed several scripts around the crystal skull concept and each one would have produced a unique movie with a different story.

Dr. Gonzo

Moedred said:
No macguffin agreement?

Man, that audio clip makes it sound like George isn't really too sure about anything.

Is this an old clip?

Hanselation

Dr.Sartorius said:
Yeah I thought Lucas said previously that he had come up with another mcguffin.

It sounds so and I hope it's an old interview from late 2008.
If it is new - we will definitely not get Indiana Jones 5. :(

Hanselation

The truth is out there!

Perhilion said:
"definitely"? we got an Indy IV, didn't we?

If this is a new statement (Lucas: "Steven and I are talking about it, and Harrison, and hopefully we'll figure it out. It's hard to figure out what the movie should be about. We all have ideas and hopefully we'll come to a conclusion on it at some point.") I expect, that Lucas was just kidding and not really working on Indiana Jones 5. So we would have to wait many years for a agreement between Lucas/Spielberg/Ford. How old would Harrison be then? To old!

If this statement is new and ment as it is said, we will definitley ;) not get Indiana Jones 5. :mad:

Darth Vile

I wouldn't be so down hearted... If Lucas/Spielberg and Ford are actively discussing what a possible Indy V should be about, that at least demonstrates that there is a collective will/desire to make another movie. For all we know, they may be a week off agreeing, or a month, or a year. However, that's not to say that they don't have a strong idea for the basic plot, set pieces etc. etc. They may have even started to discuss schedules (which is possible without having a definitive agreement on every element of the story). :)

Texas

I'm surprised nothing has leaked out over at Lucasfilm in regards to Indy 5. They have an army of researchers and none of them have divulged any info on items like the MacGuffin and potential villains. I guess we'll have to wait a little longer until sites like aintitcool and chud break in with Indy 5 news.

Indy Scout 117

i submitted an idea to the IndyCast a while back saying that Indy 5 should be a prequel to KotCS, and there should be a scene, like when Indy ran into Hitler in Crusade, Indy should come face-to-face with Stalin. that would be cool. just an idea...:whip:

Morning Bell

arkfinder said:
I think it's all rubbish. I think they do have an ideal in mind and their not going to spill the beans.

Good for them!

I hope this is true but it's hard to tell at this point. It would be great if they'd make another year-end announcement like they did at the end of 2006 for KOTCS but I'm not sure things have progressed that far yet.

Darth Vile

arkfinder said:
I think it's all rubbish. I think they do have an ideal in mind and their not going to spill the beans.

Good for them!
I think it's a given that they have the ideas... it's just a question of getting those ideas into a single coherent plot/story. I assume that's the bit they are trying to hammer out at the moment. I assume a lot of this pre-pre production consists of numerous parallel activity/tasks, so there is a good chance that there are other things happening behind the scenes too (that we have zero visibility of). :)

Hanselation

No news about a next Indiana Jones installment....
It's so quiet - no more rumors - no interviews with Ford, Lucas or Spielberg - I'm feeling so tired ....silence...

I have a boring feeling because of the missing Indiana Jones 5 news.

:confused:

Meerkat

tnswman said:
This is from Fox news.

"I haven?t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.
If so, then don't call it Indiana Jones. Call it Mutt Jones, like I've said over and over again on this forum.

tnswman said:
"And it?s not like Harrison is even old. I mean, he?s 65 and he did everything in this movie. The old chemistry is there, and it?s not like he?s an old man. He?s incredibly agile; he looks even better than he did 20 years ago, if you ask me."
If so, then why are you making Mutt the main character?

Perhilion

"I haven?t even told Steven or Harrison this," he said. "But I have an idea to make Shia [LeBeouf] the lead character next time and have Harrison [Ford] come back like Sean Connery did in the last movie. I can see it working out.
NOOOOOOOO!!! I will murder whoever said that if they do it(looking at you George)!!!