General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Lao_Che

Jack Nelligan said:
What if Elsa drank from the Grail in the crevasse and is still alive? That would be a good twist!

I loved that rumour about the fourth movie having all three leading ladies being brought back. There was just this mental image of Marion, Willie and a skeleton with a blonde wig.

DoomsdayFAN

I really hope we get something as epic as Raiders. I dont want another bland KotCS type film. :(

I actually had an idea for a 5th film. I told it to my 'Creative Writing for Film' instructor and he said it was a wonderful idea and that it would make for a fantastic adventure. That made my day since he normally isnt so approving. He likes to dissect things down to the "T" calling it "tough love" and saying "it will make you better"... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I just want something that is epic and could be considered a great addition to the original trilogy. Spielberg & Lucas should be trying to make the biggest, most outstanding script possible. Not just a lite action/comedy-drama like KotCS. :sick:

emtiem

DoomsdayFAN said:
I really hope we get something as epic as Raiders. I dont want another bland KotCS type film. :(

I actually had an idea for a 5th film. I told it to me 'Creative Writing for Film' instructor and he said it was a wonderful idea and that it would make for a fantastic adventure. That made my day since he normally isnt so approving. He likes to dissect things down to the "T" calling it "tough love" and saying "it will make you better"... :rolleyes:

Sounds great! We'd love to hear it...?

DoomsdayFAN

Nah. Im just fleshing out the idea's now. I plan on turning it into a full blown script as soon as I can get everything ironed out. It's going to be my project for the class. Luckily the class is in three parts, so I have over a year to flesh the sucker out, iron out all the kinks, finish it up, and get it in. If its as good as I think it can be, I should pass with flying colors. :hat:

Anyway, for the real Indy 5, I want it to go back to being a serial type thing. I dont want anymore cartoonish un-funny comedy. I want it to be very serious, and MASSIVE in scope. :gun:

And, I'd like the CGI to be scaled back. Make it look more like the first three adventures and less like the Star Wars prequels.

mister64

DoomsdayFAN said:
Nah. Im just fleshing out the idea's now. I plan on turning it into a full blown script as soon as I can get everything ironed out. It's going to be my project for the class. Luckily the class is in three parts, so I have over a year to flesh the sucker out, iron out all the kinks, finish it up, and get it in. If its as good as I think it can be, I should pass with flying colors. :hat:

Anyway, for the real Indy 5, I want it to go back to being a serial type thing. I dont want anymore cartoonish un-funny comedy. I want it to be very serious, and MASSIVE in scope. :gun:

And, I'd like the CGI to be scaled back. Make it look more like the first three adventures and less like the Star Wars prequels.

Now you've got all our hopes up. We'll be expecting regular updates on your project! ;)

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
DoomsdayFAN said:

Your class allows you to write sequel scripts to already existing films? Every other course I've heard of usually discourages and doesn't allow that (including the screenwriting courses I took up in my degree). I've heard of competitions that let you do that. Would you really want to choose a sequel (and let's face it ultimately a fan) script over a script that is uniquely your own? I just would have thought if one were serious about screenwriting, they would want to make a concept and script that they could sell once they're finished the course and out in the industry.

emtiem

DoomsdayFAN said:

Sounds great! Can't wait to see it.

I don't like the idea of a super-serious Indy 5 though: Indy films have always had laughs- I'd be disappointed in an Indy film where I never laughed once.

Darth Vile

DoomsdayFAN said:

Hello there...

Just a couple of thoughts on your post...

I believe KOTCS is very much in keeping with a "serial type thing". I also don't think anyone sets out to create "un-funny" comedy... so struggling to see what you mean there as it's very subjective. I wouldn't welcome a "very serious" Indy movie... as none of them are that (as others have pointed out). I'm not sure what you mean by "massive" scope as KOTCS felt as "big" as the other movies to me. If you mean more location shooting... yes I'd probably agree with that, but I don't think that necessarily equates to a movie being "massive". Finally, I think it's slightly misplaced to compare KOTCS to the Star Wars prequels (I'm assuming you mean specifically in terms of CGI?). It's a bit like expecting the next Batman movie to be made with the same techniques, and with the same tonality as the 1960's Adam West version. :)

Sharkey

I've read it else where and agree, let's have a new adventure, an Indiana Jones adventure, with new characters, and less self parody.

Stoo

arkfinder said:
First off no Indy film has been "very serious." Serious, yes but with humor as well.
Granted it's not a film but the "Istanbul" episode (now part 1 of "Masks of Evil") is very serious. There is not one joke/funny moment. It's dark, tense Indy-noir.:eek:

kongisking

DoomsdayFAN said:

I actually had an idea for a 5th film. I told it to my 'Creative Writing for Film' instructor and he said it was a wonderful idea and that it would make for a fantastic adventure. That made my day since he normally isnt so approving. He likes to dissect things down to the "T" calling it "tough love" and saying "it will make you better"... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I just want something that is epic and could be considered a great addition to the original trilogy. Spielberg & Lucas should be trying to make the biggest, most outstanding script possible. Not just a lite action/comedy-drama like KotCS. :sick:

As much as I want to reach through cyberspace and give ya a clean smack for dissing KOTCS, how about just giving us a synopsis of your proposed Indy 5 idea, so we at least know what you have in mind?

BTW, I was sorta kidding about that KOTCS remark...just joking with you, pal.

Darth Vile said:
Hello there...

Just a couple of thoughts on your post...

I believe KOTCS is very much in keeping with a "serial type thing". I also don't think anyone sets out to create "un-funny" comedy... so struggling to see what you mean there as it's very subjective. I wouldn't welcome a "very serious" Indy movie... as none of them are that (as others have pointed out). I'm not sure what you mean by "massive" scope as KOTCS felt as "big" as the other movies to me.

Finally, I think it's slightly misplaced to compare KOTCS to the Star Wars prequels (I'm assuming you mean specifically in terms of CGI?). It's a bit like expecting the next Batman movie to be made with the same techniques, and with the same tonality as the 1960's Adam West version. :)

Terrific post, Vile. I totally agree.

DoomsdayFAN

I think I was misunderstood about the whole "seriousness" thing. What I meant by that was, I would like to see Indy put in more challenging situations that keep put us (the audience) on the edge of our seat unlike ever before. The challenges are harder. The quest is much harder. The main villain is much more lethal. The overall goal is harder for Indy to attain. Etc. But the silly humor from the first three films is still there (that's a must!). Just not the over-done "make you cringe" humor of the fourth. (KotCS wasnt that bad, just in some places I found it to be a little too much) :hat:

As for writing a script to work that wasnt originally mine... I had the choice. I was originally unsure about doing it, but I talked it over with my instructor and he told me to "go for it!" He thought my idea's were "fantastic," offered me a little advice, and told me to "put everything into it and dont get lazy" and "do my best." If he said to go for it, I certainly will not question him about it. Doing this is like doing homework you actually want to do. And if he's fine with it, then so am I. My main goal though, is to attend film school. Im not there yet. But I plan on it. Someday. Until then.... :whip:

To throw you a bone... Right now I am in the process of researching the MacGuffin. ;) For any further clues just look to the first paragraph.

Darth Vile

DoomsdayFAN said:
I think I was misunderstood about the whole "seriousness" thing. What I meant by that was, I would like to see Indy put in more challenging situations that keep put us (the audience) on the edge of our seat unlike ever before. The challenges are harder. The quest is much harder. The main villain is much more lethal. The overall goal is harder for Indy to attain. Etc. But the silly humor from the first three films is still there (that's a must!). Just not the over-done "make you cringe" humor of the fourth. (KotCS wasnt that bad, just in some places I found it to be a little too much) :hat:

I see where you are coming from... I just don't think it's as straight forward as that (although I wish it were) i.e. within an Indy movie much more of the tension is derived from the direction/editing and music than it is from a story or screenplay. I'd also posit that TOD and TLC contain some of the most cringe inducing comedy of the entire series (which is not necessarily a criticism by the way). Gophers and monkey/vine swings aside (which are distracting I agree), I?d say KOTCS actually achieves a good balance of humour versus seriousness. Sure, there are some jokes that misfire? but when you consider the ratio of humour that works well and not so well in TOD and TLC specifically, it does seem in keeping.

Anways, I?d be interested to see your ideas? You may very well be the next David Koepp. ;)

Jack Nelligan

Lao_Che said:
I loved that rumour about the fourth movie having all three leading ladies being brought back. There was just this mental image of Marion, Willie and a skeleton with a blonde wig.

I would like to see Willie and Short Rounds come back for Indy V.
I've posted this idea on other threads with mixed reviews.

kongisking

You know what I think could make for a very awesome Indy 5? The mythology invented by H.P. Lovecraft. Especially his concept of a cult hiding out in Antarctica devoted to resurrecting an evil god. Jeeze, that guy was a flippin' genius...I love ya, Lovecraft! Guillermo del Toro has great taste (because he is also a big Lovecraft fan, and even incorporated some of the dude's ideas into both Hellboy films and Pan's Labyrinth)!

Jack Nelligan

As far as the time line goes, I still think Havana Cuba would make the most sense and be a great backdrop for an adventure film with its, mountains, jungles, beaches, oceans, cityscapes, and Communists, both Russian and Cuban. Throw in Willie and Shorty and I?m there! Mutt and Marion can stay at home while Mutt finishes school. Who knows, this could be where Indy?s mysterious daughter comes from, Willie and Indy?s kid!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Lambonius

For some reason the thought of Indy cheating on his wife and conceiving an illegitimate child just seems wrong to me...;), not to mention out of character--Indy was never really a true "bad boy" type.

Lambonius said:
For some reason the thought of Indy cheating on his wife and conceiving an illegitimate child just seems wrong to me...;), not to mention out of character--Indy was never really a true "bad boy" type.

Which is why he was sleeping with a student and deflowered a teenage Marion...

...yeah.... not a bad boy...