General Indy 5 Thread - rumors and possibilities

Honestly...will there be another Indy film in the next decade?

• Total voters

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
It'll happen at the end after he's had the crap already beaten out of him. The eyepatch will be seen in the epilogue.

Are old Indy's actual legs seen in the YIJC? If not we could have him lose at least one in #5 as well.

So far it's the best of the three, with the funniest situations and dialogue. Even Shia LaHam is bearable in it!

I know I could watch this several times more than KOTCS without having to use fast forward!

Part 3 has so much over the top CGI like buildings bending further than physics allows. If you find it the best of the 3, I really need to question your taste in films. Shia is horrible in all 3 as well and every other film he is in.

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
Part 3 has so much over the top CGI like buildings bending further than physics allows. If you find it the best of the 3, I really need to question your taste in films. Shia is horrible in all 3 as well and every other film he is in.

Robotic aliens transforming into cars and computer screens defies physics so I really need to question your grasp of reality.

Buzz Aldrin: You cannot believe what we're seeing...

Indy's brother

Stoo said:
Indy's brother, in the cliffhangers the main heroes don't get hurt. They walk away from all kinds of things without any injury at all!;)

Anyway, guys, Indy is not "impervious to damage" in Indy 4 because he does get hurt & he bleeds. Although his wounds are not much, compared to getting shot in the arm, they are on par with his sufferings in "Crusade"and are just as lightweight:

However, I agree that it would be good to see him getting seriously hurt in a potential 5th film. That's why I want to see Indy's face get split open!:eek: Not only would it make the audience worry about his survival, it'd be a perfect link to the eye patch.
Hmmm, "we saw"?:confused: If you watched the TV series when it aired, then I'll eat my hat.:p

Your knack for splitting hairs just to do so makes me think that divorcing my wife to be with you would be a lateral move.

Stoo

Indy's brother said:
Your knack for splitting hairs just to do so makes me think that divorcing my wife to be with you would be a lateral move.
Heh, it's not "just to do so".:) C'mon, man, Indy barely gets hurt in "Crusade"! Yes, Indy survived the fridge in "Skull" but he wasn't impervious to damage during other 'normal' parts of the movie. He was beaten up...and he bled, just like a regular guy.
Indy's brother said:
Open Indy 5 with Indy getting clipped with a bullet. Viscerally. With him slamming into the camera with a bit of blood on the lens. THEN we know that he's like us again. Especially with all of the talk of him dying in another installment, it would make us, as an audience wonder for the first time since LC if he's gonna make it.
As an audience member of "Crusade" in '89, not once did I ever wonder if Indy was ever "gonna make it".

With all due respect, why did you compare "Skull" to the classic cliffhangers in order to demonstrate how Indy's lack of injury strayed from their form?:confused: Watch some old serials and you'll see how the main heroes escape without any harm at all. No cuts, no broken bones, nothing. (Injuries are RARE). In this regard, "Crystal Skull" is the closest to the cliffhangers!:p
Henry W Jones said:
I did! Do I count? Also, having lost an eye, I don't want to see that happen to Indy on film. I mean seeing him lose it. I also believe that would be something that would be considered too harsh to happen on film to Indiana Jones and too graphic for this series. Is he going to run around half the film with popped eye ball? Talk about being unbelievable.
---
In the middle of an adventure wouldn't work. Especially in Indys era. You are telling me just throw on an eye patch? That will make an injury like that tolerable. That is a hospital required injury. I know.
Henry W, you've mentioned your eye before so I hope my wishes for Indy's future wounds haven't upset you.:eek: If a 5th Indy film ever gets made, I just want it to connect even more to the TV show than "Skull" already did. As Montana Smiffy said, show the eyepatch during the film's epilogue after the adventure was over. Such a dénouement would be the perfect lead-off to the TV series' bookends.
Montana Smiffy said:
Are old Indy's actual legs seen in the YIJC? If not we could have him lose at least one in #5 as well.
You know they are, Smiff.;) For people who don't want a connection with the TV show, I propose having Indy lose both of his legs & both his arms AND his FACE just like the main character in Dalton Trumbo's, "Johnny Got His Gun"!:eek: That way, nobody will be whining for Indy 6 the day after the opening of the 5th one.:dead:

Dr. Gonzo

IndyForever said:
Meanwhile on a more factual level.......... Spielberg right now has no announced upcoming movies he is committed to direct. He just dropped out of his next movie American Sniper so even though it seems futile to wish at this stage perhaps Indy 5 is something he is concentrating on now (we can only hope)!!

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/steven-spielberg-drops-out-of-directing-american-sniper/

Take my following comment with a grain of salt, I've got no news link to back it up, but word around town right now is that Spielberg dropped the sniper story because some new progress has been made on Robopocalypse again, very recently.
Don't take it to the bank just yet, but that's what we've been hearin' down here.

Montana Smith

He also has his Executive Producer obligations for next year's Transformers 4.

Maybe he'll kill two birds and make it an Indy cross-over, completing that idea for bionic Toht and his fellow cybernetic Nazi chums?

2991261712_3e9c44d370.jpg

indiana-jones-robot-arms1.jpg

Since anything is possible after KOTCS it wouldn't surprise me if they revealed Indy as an Autobot Pretender to explain his fridge survival.

Believe me, it'll be a sure fire success. There'll be more Indiana Jones related toys than you can shake a reasonably sized stick at.

Stewie said:
Anyway, guys, Indy is not "impervious to damage" in Indy 4 because he does get hurt & he bleeds.

Blood_Skull_zpse5f705d9.jpg

Simulated blood. There will be gallons of the stuff and the rating needn't be higher than a '12'.

He can say f*** as he did in print, and even get away with a "Nancy w*****" or two.

The future's so bright for Indy he gotta wear shades.

:cool:

:p

Olliana

For the record, watching KOTCS for the very first time, I really worried about Indy during the actual fridge flight's preceding moment. I was all like, 'Holy ****! Just how's he going to make it this time?' No one there to help him, just mannequins. Felt even a bit Hitchcockian to me. He even wants to hitchhike with the villains for Christ's sake (when even the bad guys chicken out, you just know things are getting serious)!
Ford was brilliant in that whole scene, he really sold that feeling of urge with his expressions of pure fear and desperation. It was an amazing cliffhanger, and maybe the most intense in the entire tetralogy.

Last edited:

Henry W Jones

Stoo said:
Heh, it's not "just to do so".:) Henry W, you've mentioned your eye before so I hope my wishes for Indy's future wounds haven't upset you.:eek: If a 5th Indy film ever gets made, I just want it to connect even more to the TV show than "Skull" already did. As Montana Smiffy said, show the eyepatch during the film's epilogue after the adventure was over. Such a dénouement would be the perfect lead-off to the TV series' bookends.
You know they are, Smiff.;) For people who don't want a connection with the TV show, I propose having Indy lose both of his legs & both his arms AND his FACE just like the main character in Dalton Trumbo's, "Johnny Got His Gun"!:eek: That way, nobody will be whining for Indy 6 the day after the opening of the 5th one.:dead:

I have no problem with him losing the eye. My problem is how would he function the rest of the film with that injury. Seems too big of an injury to continue an adventure and be believable.

Montana Smith said:
Robotic aliens transforming into cars and computer screens defies physics so I really need to question your grasp of reality.

Buzz Aldrin: You cannot believe what we're seeing...

Of course it does but you don't always be so over the top with your comments. I do realize the robots are out of the realm of reality and that is why they get a pass. The buildings bending way beyond what is physically possible takes you out of the film. I don't know how robots from another planet would really act but I do know a building won't bend like they do in that film.

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
Of course it does but you don't always be so over the top with your comments. I do realize the robots are out of the realm of reality and that is why they get a pass. The buildings bending way beyond what is physically possible takes you out of the film. I don't know how robots from another planet would really act but I do know a building won't bend like they do in that film.

How on earth could you actually get into the film at that critical level? It functions on the surface, and physics have very little to do with any of it.

They were toys. Cartoons and comics existed to promote sales of those toys. Now films are able to replace those cartoons, and they make as much sense as such. I thought they were a silly concept when they were a cartoon, but Transformers #3 works because it has a dark sense of humour.

The same won't work for Indiana Jones.

Indy comes to this from the reverse. He only became a toy once he was made famous by film. He was created to exist in a world that was almost believable. Where he stands now, in respect of his possible future, and in retrospect of his last adventure, who knows?

I doubt he'll have a very noble one since the notion of asking the audience to 'believe' in him, or any other character, was consciously discarded in KOTCS. It was sacrificed in the name of spectacle and self-parody.

A sacrifice that committed him to the limbo in which he presently resides.

Henry W Jones said:
...you don't always be so over the top with your comments.

Henry W Jones said:
P.S. Transformers 3 is crap.

Henry W Jones said:
Shia is horrible in all 3 as well and every other film he is in.

Over the top, much?

:D

Last edited:

Henry W Jones

Montana Smith said:
How on earth could you actually get into the film at that critical level? It functions on the surface, and physics have very little to do with any of it.

They were toys. Cartoons and comics existed to promote sales of those toys. Now films are able to replace those cartoons, and they make as much sense as such. I thought they were a silly concept when they were a cartoon, but Transformers #3 works because it has a dark sense of humour.

The same won't work for Indiana Jones.

Indy comes to this from the reverse. He only became a toy once he was made famous by film. He was created to exist in a world that was almost believable. Where he stands now, in respect of his possible future, and in retrospect of his last adventure, who knows?

I doubt he'll have a very noble one since the notion of asking the audience to 'believe' in him, or any other character, was consciously discarded in KOTCS. It was sacrificed in the name of spectacle and self-parody.

A sacrifice that committed him to the limbo in which he presently resides.

Over the top, much?

:D

Actually, me stating Shia and Transformers 3 are crap is an opinion not over the top. You taking my statement about believability in the film and twisting it to make me sound like I believe in robots because the real world elements of the film were poorly done is rude. Lets not turn this into a huge thing though. Have a good day

Montana Smith

Henry W Jones said:
Actually, me stating Shia and Transformers 3 are crap is an opinion not over the top. You taking my statement about believability in the film and twisting it to make me sound like I believe in robots because the real world elements of the film were poorly done is rude. Lets not turn this into a huge thing though. Have a good day

Into a huge thing? It was you who wrote that TF3 was "crap", when the film itself was only brought into the discussion to ponder upon possibilities.

That is, possibilities for Indiana Jones seem to have broadened somewhat with what is now deemed acceptable for films bearing certificates in the age range of the Indiana Jones series, such as TF3.

All I merely did was turn your own words back on you.

Finn said:
People are entitled to their opinions.

A civilized discussion where you elaborately criticize the film's lower points is perfectly fine. In fact, you can like the film and still do that. It's actually the very thing that is happening here. Now, coming down all high and almighty, calling the film a giant turd, not bothering to say why and perhaps insulting the other conversationalists in the process... is not.

If the former kind bother you, you're perhaps in the wrong place. The good news are though that you won't find any latter in here... because we banned 'em all.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Dr. Gonzo said:
word around town right now is that Spielberg dropped the sniper story because some new progress has been made on Robopocalypse again, very recently.
Good to hear! The concept it very timely now, with so much human error in train and plane accidents.

I figured Spielberg would eventually pass on American Sniper, like Memoirs of a Geisha, the concept is more interesting than the story. And everyone wins because he increased awareness of the project.

IndyForever

Dr. Gonzo said:
Take my following comment with a grain of salt, I've got no news link to back it up, but word around town right now is that Spielberg dropped the sniper story because some new progress has been made on Robopocalypse again, very recently.
Don't take it to the bank just yet, but that's what we've been hearin' down here.
About 6 months ago he put it back to rewrite the story as ILM VFX were too expensive to film as it required wall to wall VFX so he has been changing the story working with writers to save on VFX budget. I still hope Indy 5 is something he really wants to make happen as last year he said @ the ROTLA screening with Ford in LA if he thinks about it too much he wants to make it.............PLEASE Steven think about it a LOT (hopefully @ Lucas's wedding a few weeks ago SS decided to be proactive & help Lucas break the story this time). Samuel Jackson confirmed a few days ago Ford & Spielberg were both there along with many other celebs.............

Indy's brother

Here's the latest from Ford on Indy 5. Not much, but he's curiously specific about the tone of this movie that will never be made, at least in comparison to his usual comments about how he would love to do it if there was a good script:

We've seen the character develop and grow over a period of time and it's perfectly appropriate and okay for him to come back again with a great movie around him where he doesn't necessarily have to kick as much ass,

To me, what was interesting about the character was that he prevailed, that he had courage, that he had wit, that he had intelligence, that he was frightened and that he still managed to survive. That I can do.

Indy's brother said:
Here's the latest from Ford on Indy 5. Not much, but he's curiously specific about the tone of this movie that will never be made, at least in comparison to his usual comments about how he would love to do it if there was a good script:

Yes it makes sense at this stage a 71 year old Harry in indy 5 would be more of a thinker then a bare fist fighter if it happens.

The Drifter

Indy's brother said:

Yeah, I read that earlier also.

Harrison wants to do another one, but getting Steve-O into the mood of things is going to be like extracting a tooth from a lion.
And George - that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

Indy's brother

Túrin Turambar said:
Yes it makes sense at this stage a 71 year old Harry in indy 5 would be more of a thinker then a bare fist fighter if it happens.

Flat out brawling would be a misstep, but there's plenty he could do otherwise. I mean, think of the three trials, or the map room scene, or the club Obi Wan sequence. All awesome fun, and he is physically believable enough to do these sorts of things. People think that his age is more of a big deal than it really is. He was never Jet Li. Just a guy who gets himself in over his head and has to find a way to get out of trouble. Hell, maybe he could shoot somebody again. I bet that would be believable, right?