Great Movie Endings

A

Aussie Jones

The movies these days don't seem to know how or when to end.

The following movies for me contain the greatest last ten minutes in film history: (in order)

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
Last Crusade
Star Wars A New Hope
Raiders
The Sting
2001 A Space Odyssey
The Score
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Zulu

I

Indy_Jones88

Aussie Jones said:
The movies these days don't seem to know how or when to end.

The following movies for me contain the greatest last ten minutes in film history: (in order)

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
Last Crusade
Star Wars A New Hope
Raiders
The Sting
2001 A Space Odyssey
The Score
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
Zulu

I agree with Raiders, LC, and The Sting.

The Sting is one of the greatest movies ever. (Not as good as Indy, but close.) Highly recommended.

Also other great endings are:

Saving Private Ryan
The Great Escape
Black Hawk Down

00Kevin

Indyfan
Rick5150 said:
I thought "Rocky" was a great ending. I like when the 'hero' loses. Makes it real...

well said

rocky was realistic, surprising and not like all those movies (mostly sport films) that you say like: "WOW! The underdog won in the last second!.....what a surprise........mumble"

bloody disney sport films :(

if we're talking the last 10 (or perhaps 20 in my case) minutes of film, I'm ganna have to give it to:

THE BLUES BROTHERS!

*disney fans*: "....what a surprise....mumble"

seriously, the concert had some really fun and energetic songs, then some nice funny scenes and lines befor they hop in the car, the car chase was the best and funniest chase ever! some great moments and lines "this is car 55, we're in a truck" and the Nazi's car falling on chicago. tons of carnage, crashes. Then of corse, the blues brothers race up the steps, putting baracades to stop the over the top number of police and soldiers chaseing after them (bwahhaahaah!) and then to top it off, the band, cast and crew sing 'jailhouse rock'......most fun 20 anyone ever has watching a movie

there have been some great endings in alot of movies in the time befor the late 90's, we're talking star wars, james bond, indiana jones...smashing films

and the award for worst ending:

The Blues Brother 2000

:( fraid it's true

great thread BTW

intergamer

Casablanca and Key Largo have excellently crafted endings, in my opinion (and I'm sure you all agree).

Also Ferris Bueller's Day Off. I don't mean the redemption thing with the car breaking and stuff, I mean later with the baseball and running home. And after the end credits the extra jab.

maquino

One of the great "surprise" endings:

No Way Out

A sordid lampoon of the concluding "medal scene" in Star Wars:

L.A. Confidential

You can breathe now:

Thirteen Days

You can cry now:

Return of the King

Uh, bdeeuh, bdeeuh, bdeeuh, That's All, Folks!

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Michael Aquino

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
maquino said:
Return of the King[/B]

Really? I didn't like the ending of ROTK to much. I found it to be a little too 'Ooh lets all get emotional and cry now'. Worst part of the movie if you ask me (Not to mention I really needed to go to the bathroom and the movie just would'nt stop!) :)

One of my favorite movie endings has to be in "The Rocketeer." After the fantastic climax on the zeppelin, everything gets wrapped up in a really great feel-good way. And I'm not talking a really sappy, saccharine sort of feel-good. It's just between Horner's score and what's happening on screen (and the way they match up), it just leaves you taking a deep breath and going "Aaahh...yeah."

I also really like the end of "The Fellowship of the Ring." I'm not sure what it is. The music and the sense of "Here we go" just really hits the spot for me.

Funny that both heavily involve the music working its magic on me...hmm...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Hmm...

The Bridge on the River Kwai - mass death of Shakespearean proportions - "Madness. Madness!"

12 Angry Men - something about two men who were great allies for an hour and a half finding out each others' names in the last lines of the film was poignant - not to mention watching all the others walk out - and the lovely gesture with the coat

Citizen Kane - I have to give a nod to this film - "Rosebud" - and I will not, for all you Indy buffs out there, that the final shots of this film were the influence for the final shot of Raiders of the Lost Ark

The Searchers - John Wayne as the outcast condemned to wander beneath the winds - not to mention the line beforehand - "Let's go home Debbie"

Inherit the Wind - Spencer Tracy's Henry Drummond walking out of court with the Bible and Darwin next to each other, with "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" being played over it, and right after the cynical reporter gets his comeuppance - goosebumps, gentlemen

westford

Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of my favourites.

Sunset Boulevard had a great ending. 'All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up...'

Finn

Staff member
The most memorable movie ending?

<i>Monty Python and the Holy Grail</i>, no doubt.

Kate

LOL, the end of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" is hilariously anti-climactic (or however you spell it ;) ) I really like the ending of "Minority Report-" the perfect tying-up-of-loose-ends-and-surprising-everyone kind of ending.

Pale Horse

Staff member
I always thought that the Devil's Advocate offerend a unique ending that left you guessing all the way home. Aside from that I have to concur with Ayrun, and the Usual Susects ending.

Wild Things has an ending quite unique as well.

EvilDevo

i find time travel movies or psychological thriller types have good endings:

ie donnie darko, frequency, identity, etc

for just plain good happy endings:

ghostbusters!

Ska

EvilDevo said:
i find time travel movies or psychological thriller types have good endings:

ie donnie darko, frequency, identity, etc

Psychological thrillers were just what I was thinking when reading the first page of posts...

Identity, Memento, Sixth Sense, The Others

Last edited:

Finn

Staff member
And as I already mentioned one Python film, let's take another... <i>Life of Brian</i>, this piece is perhaps even more memorable.

Ska

I never thought of the ending to ESB like that, Ren. I always hated the "ending" because it didn't end. I'm glad that I wasn't there to see Ep. V in theatres because I would have been p.o.'ed that I had to wait unti Ep. VI to see how it continued.

But after hearing your comment on the ending, I might just have to go back and watch it again with a whole new respect. Thanks!

Ska