Hasbro Playset - The Lost Temple of Akator

tnswman

vf wing said:
Great pics tnswman! Are you keeping one boxed?

This set has taken some heat for not being specific to the design of the temple in the film. However, i'm now finding myself drawn to that very fact, that it's generic enough to stand in for a Raiders playset or maybe even a TOD.

I'm hoping it goes over well with collectors. It seems like a shoo-in with fans having so much pent-up demand for new items from the line and Hasbro supplying so few. This could be among the last items we get. A strong sell-thru on it could get Hasbro's attention.

I had to make a special trek out to Elkin tonight to see if it might be at the Wally there, but no dice. Did pick up an extra Russian soldier tho. I'm gonna go ahead and order one from HTS, but i'm really wanting to score one right now!

I'm looking forward to going back over this thread to check the pics i've missed!

I will keep 2 boxed and give 2 away.

The cemetary Warrior fits PERFECTLY on the tree.

tnswman

Nurhachi1991 said:
I will admit the pics you guys did look fantastic! The idol in the temple what a great idea!

One of the reasons I took it back is because money is really tight right now and until I get a job I can't afford a 40.00 playset. I'm selling most of the Legos I won as it is :(

The set is not horrible its just........ I dont even know haha

Ahh, you know I was picking on you anyway :)

tnswman

Lambonius said:
I think I know how you feel. Don't get me wrong, I love the playset. It's just that the crappy fate of the line and all the obnoxious Hasbro blunders have left me halfway between having a really bad taste in my mouth for these figures and absolutely craving every last one I can get my hands on because I don't think I'll be able to get any more. If that makes any sense. :p It's almost like I feel like we should have gotten so much more than we did, and it's making the ones we did get seem crappier as a result.

Yes, This line did just enough to give us the basics. When I forst got word in June that this line was GONE, I could not understand until I realized that Hasbro NEVER took a chance on this line..they pushed MILLIONS of figures out trying to suck EVERY dime out and then, they lead us along so we would continue to buy up reserves. If they told us at SDCC that the line was dead, they would have had a lot of missed sales and a VERY upset crowd at a live event.

Just wait until Hasbro blames US for the demise of the line.

In all the complaining for the demise of the line, dont forget to complain about how much were gonna have to shell out for those last TOD figures...if they can be found at all

Nurhachi1991

featofstrength said:
In all the complaining for the demise of the line, dont forget to complain about how much were gonna have to shell out for those last TOD figures...if they can be found at all

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Lambonius

featofstrength said:

Even if the TOD figs are produced in a more limited run as is being said, they're going to be selling through the holiday season. That means more stock moving and potentially much more being shipped out to stores much more often. We're comparing a summer dry-spell to a holiday season; there really isn't even a comparison. We're bound to see WAY more Indy figures moving during the coming months due to that fact alone. Sure, it won't save the line, but maybe the TOD figures won't be so hard to find as many expect them to be.

DIrishB

Stopped by Toys R Us today to pick up a few games for my Xbox 360, and went down the action figure aisle(s) to check out the Indy figures, just on the off chance they had something I needed. I got lucky and picked up the Cairo Henchman/Marion deluxe pack (wanted the Henchman for army-building purposes), and also saw the Akator playset was available. I didn't pick it up, because I've got to pay my car insurance and car payment this week (always kills me), but I'm heading back to TRU next Friday (I love getting paid every week instead of every other week) to grab it. Can't wait!

tnswman

Lambonius said:
Even if the TOD figs are produced in a more limited run as is being said, they're going to be selling through the holiday season. That means more stock moving and potentially much more being shipped out to stores much more often. We're comparing a summer dry-spell to a holiday season; there really isn't even a comparison. We're bound to see WAY more Indy figures moving during the coming months due to that fact alone. Sure, it won't save the line, but maybe the TOD figures won't be so hard to find as many expect them to be.

the problem is that they had a VERY limited production run..Now they also have to find shelf space....It's not impossible but come on...MANY collectors here don't even have the entire LC wave yet and it's been out for a good bit now. The TOD wave will have a LOT going against it.

Lambonius

tnswman said:
the problem is that they had a VERY limited production run..Now they also have to find shelf space....It's not impossible but come on...MANY collectors here don't even have the entire LC wave yet and it's been out for a good bit now. The TOD wave will have a LOT going against it.

Well I'm just trying to keep a little optimism. ;) Personally, I'm unsure enough about it that I went ahead and ordered them online, but I do hope that we'll be able to find them in stores, too. I'd like to be able to pick up a few more Thuggee Guards to army build with if possible.

tnswman

Lambonius said:
Well I'm just trying to keep a little optimism. ;) Personally, I'm unsure enough about it that I went ahead and ordered them online, but I do hope that we'll be able to find them in stores, too. I'd like to be able to pick up a few more Thuggee Guards to army build with if possible.

I kow, not to mention that the darn cases that they are in are pretty much 1-per case. I will go broke buying doubles on ebay if I have to..Because I will Not wait for them to hit stores.

Marty Jones

I've been having an awful time finding the remaining Last Crusade figures I need. I can't imagine Temple of Doom will be any easier. Thing is, I won't buy them online because of the paint apps. I've even passed on some of the newer figures because of this as I'd rather not have the figure than have one that's badly painted.

In the end, I've done okay so far. I'm only missing on figure from the initial release and I've picked up a few Last Crusade figures. I'll be patient. I'd wager big money against anybody that I have one of the best painted sets out there right now. For every figure I've purchased, I've turned down 100 - and that isn't an exaggeration.

tnswman

Marty Jones said:
I've been having an awful time finding the remaining Last Crusade figures I need. I can't imagine Temple of Doom will be any easier. Thing is, I won't buy them online because of the paint apps. I've even passed on some of the newer figures because of this as I'd rather not have the figure than have one that's badly painted.

In the end, I've done okay so far. I'm only missing on figure from the initial release and I've picked up a few Last Crusade figures. I'll be patient. I'd wager big money against anybody that I have one of the best painted sets out there right now. For every figure I've purchased, I've turned down 100 - and that isn't an exaggeration.

I still don't see what is always so wring with the paint apps.. .I can understand paint blotches and bleeding. But come on...I have a BUNCH of perfectly painted figures.

Now, at 1st, the eyes were screwed up because the 1st plant Hasbro was using just did not care. However, by the 3rd week of May, even the Raider's Idol Indy was spot on.

Billy Ray

This from the Q&A over at Indiana Jones Collectors:

IJC: Recently images have appeared online for the Akator Playset that now features two additional bonus figures (Mutt and Spalko). Is this an exclusive or will it see a full release to all stores?

H: It is a retailer exclusive at Sam's Club this Fall in the U.S.

I could give a fig about Mutt and Spalko...I am rushing to TRU to by one as soon as I get paid next week!

Lance Quazar

I bought this with the $10 target coupon. $40 was too much, $25 was much more reasonable.

As a toy, I think it's a great item. A few fun play action features and it definitely has a cool Indy vibe to it.

If I was a kid, I think I'd be all over this item. It certainly seems cooler than the few SW offerings in the playset line over the past decade.

But, as an adult collector, I probably won't keep this one around.

Though I'm an old man who still buys toys and who, yes, has a painstakingly set-up series of poses and mini-dios on my desk, this item has little value to me.

Like I said, fun for the kids, but bulky and kinda pointless as a grown-up.

It looks good for a toy, but not nearly good enough to pass muster in any of my diorama attempts or even (dare to dream?) a photonovel.

I'm not going to spend hours sliding figures down the mountain into the quicksand, nor flinging plastic boulders through the air.

For display purposes, it's too big and way too compromised in its appearance. I'm looking for form, not function.

I'd much rather have something like the Lars Homestead (though its outrageous price keeps me from taking the plunge). Something movie accurate and more "grown up" (if such a term can be applied to toys at all.)

I will probably try to find a local charity that won't mind an open (though new) toy or sell it at a loss.

That said, I'm keeping the two figures. The Indy, though he is the "Raiders" version with the wonky holster, has a phenomenal paint job and I could always use another Ugha for army building.

Goonie

Lance Quazar said:
I will probably try to find a local charity that won't mind an open (though new) toy or sell it at a loss.

I'm going to have to register myself as a charitable organization. ;)

singsingjohnny

I really wanted an Akator playset but never saw any local and online shipping was pretty high.

Ah well...my bookcase will have to suffice! :D