League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Sean Connery, famous story characters (Dorian Gray, The Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll, Dracula's bride, Captain Nemo, and Tom Sawyer), British accents, a fedora. Need I say more?

:p

Personally I CAN'T WAIT to see this movie! What do you guys think?

[Edited by Leia Organa Solo on 07-07-2003 at 05:06 pm]

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Now this is unusual for me (oddly, though I am quite the film buff, I rarely go to the threatre), but I am looking forward to this film.

This probably has something to do with the literary characters. Like Doc Brown in BTTF III, I thought Jules Verne was the greatest thing since flying Deloreans when I was younger.

Yes, it has promise. Though the villain disappoints me...the Phantom. There must be something better...Dr. Frankenstein perhaps...no, not the right era. Somebody from the end of the 19th century...I don't know.

Venture

The comic absolutely rocks. Quatermain was an opium addict and a bit of a crybaby, so they seem to have beefed him up a bit fo Sir Sean. As to the villains in the book, Professor Moriarty was lurking around (actually financed the team if I'm not mistaken) and there was a Fu Manchu character called The Doctor (Alan Moore couldn't get the rights to Manchu.)

The movie looks to be a blast, but Nemo seems to be a lot less ominous than in the comics.

swords

I hope its as entertaining as its trailer.;)

In the words of Connery's Quartermain,"Im waiting to be impressed."

Venture

There was a rumor in the comic world that Moore had an insidious plot afoot. Nemo wasn't Nemo but Sherlock Holmes in disguise, apparently borrowing Nemo's ID to spy on Moriarty. Groovy, huh?

Attila the Professor

Staff member
BUMP

Anyone see this yet? I've read a couple of reviews, and they're pretty unfavorable. From what they've said, it sounds like they took an excellent concept and did terrible things with it, among them a modern car chase at the turn-of-the-century.

Venture

The car is supposedly an invention of Nemo's, so it's not completely out of place. The man has a submarine that outdoes what we have today! As for the reviews, one I read gave it 1 1/2 stars, and the other gave it 3 1/2. A friend of mine has already seen it (I go myself tomorrow), and he raved for a while about how he had to go back and see it another time or two. I expect great things.

Most of the complaints were about so-called 'ordinary' actors on screen with Sir Sean. And let's face it, critics criticize!! If they actually had anything nice to say, they wouldn't really have a job.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Cain said:
And let's face it, critics criticize!! If they actually had anything nice to say, they wouldn't really have a job.

Not true...ideally, their job is to give their opinion of a film. Some do it better than others. But they all (well, most) get paid, no matter whether they say the film is good or not.

Venture

I stand corrected. Attila, you are the kindest of men.

Anyway,I go to see it in about 2 hours. I'll be back soon to post my opinion.

Oh, yeah! It came in second, right behind Pirates of the Carribean at the box office this weekend.

Canyon

Yes, I am going to see this film when it comes out. I've seen the trailer a few times and it looks great.

Just one thing though. One the trailer it says that Sean's character is "The worlds greatest adventurer"

C'mon guys! Get with the programme! Indy's the best! :D

Venture

Okay, I just got back from LXG. I was not in the least bit disappointed!!! Quatermain was awesome, Nemo kicked major butt, and Hyde... well, you just have to see Hyde.

The story took a backseat to the characters, the action, and the effects (in that order), and overall it was a very well-acted B-movie. Sound like any others we know?

I highly recommend it to any Indy fan. Definitely worth the price of admission!!

Venture

apalehorse said:
(Cain: See thread in Comments and Suggestions)

[Edited by apalehorse on 07-15-2003 at 05:27 pm]

I just got this. I'm editing review. Thanks. As always, your help is invaluable.

Kumba

I saw it last night and thought it was OK. Nothing special really. I'd give it two and a half stars. Connery's character was good, although the man is getting old. I think anyone should see it if they can't do anything with a certain girl , so they decide to see a movie with one of their friends instead...

Oh man, I just saw LXG and I thought it completely SUCKED!!! I was very disappointed too, since i had really been looking foward to seeing this movie, especially since Sean Connery would be in it. But it was definitely a bad movie in my opinion. The whole thing just didn't seem plausible to me. "In the style of ROTLA"?????? Yeah right!!

swords

Whoa!! not Neo whoa, more...stop, your making a bold statement whoa...

The critics give off the sense that this was the worst pile of dirtiness in the toothbrush sense, to ever come out of hollywood...

Yes, I watched it, and although its not groudbraking, nor oscar grabbing, nods to the ground literally shakes when you see it, and its fun, fun, fun!

In other words, its an enjoyable waste of time easily forgettable...

But I think the script needed an makeover, its an amazing idea and I hope they improve on it in the sequel...

Pilot

Not a bad movie. On a scale of 1 to 4 stars, I'd give it a three. Sure it could stand some improvements. The special effects almost took a back seat to the plot. The Nautilus and Mr. Hyde are much larger than I would have expected. The fights are filmed so quickly that it is difficult to follow the action.

Venture

I'm probably gonna get smacked on the mouth for this, but I thought it was an excellent movie. I really enjoyed Connery's Quatermain, and could really see him as a template for an older, jaded Indy. In addition, the characterization of the rest of the League was tremendously well done. Even the story suffered very little for characterization's sake, a rarety in comic-inspired films.