League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Katarn07

If I had paid for my ticket to see it, I'd say it's the worst movie I've ever paid to see. And I did see Pearl Harbor when it came out!

The last hour was ok. The first was unbearable. I wanted to just walk out on it but I gave it a chance and I guess I'm glad I did I guess. Connery was the only good part of it. Period.

Johan

Absolutley loved it..bought it the day it came out. You just have to go into it knowing that it is a Fantacy Movie!

matthiassatlure

I am a fan of LXG...yeah, I know the screenplay wasn't all that witty, the director was a bum*taking Sean's side as usual*, and the movie was loaded to the max with CGI...it was the movie that led to my discovery of Sir Sean, so it'll always be kinda special.

I guess my first impression of him was really dramatic. My friend and I were the only people in the theater, it was around 10 o'clock, and the commercials had gotten to my head.

What's kinda ironic is that I only went to see that movie because it was mentioned in this Sci-fi magazine I subscribe to that does plenty of articles on Indy.

Last edited:

Dr. HenryJones.jr

yeah, I saw second time on the DVD because I want to study with the error scenes, etc... but the CGI was cool as than Van Helsing but why?

WillKill4Food

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I love this movie.
Yes, it is completely different from the comic books.
Yes, it has a really crappy storyline.
But, it has the coolest setup in the world.
It's basically a Justice League set at the turn of the century.
And that's frikkin' awesome.
So, then, why did it get such a low score of Rotten Tomatoes and the like?
I know the plot was rather poor, although it did have moments of greatness, but apparently it was so bad it made Sir Sean retire?
So, what do you think was wrong with LxD?

Michael24

I don't think Connery retired just because of this movie.

But either way, I always really liked it. Not "great," per se, but it's a fun popcorn flick and I pop the DVD in every so often and give it a watch. It's fun and it's fun, and I dig it. (y)

WillKill4Food

Michael24 said:
I don't think Connery retired just because of this movie.
According to several sites, I have seen this movie's failure as being his reason for retirement. But, as you said, there could be more reasons behind it.
Michael24 said:
But either way, I always really liked it. Not "great," per se, but it's a fun popcorn flick and I pop the DVD in every so often and give it a watch. It's fun and it's fun, and I dig it. (y)
Yeah, I know. I wish they had thought the plot out better. It lags a lot and the story could have been written a lot better.
But, still, I think the setup is awesome. I don't read comics, so I suppose this is all I will get of the alternate 1899.

Snakes

I thought that Connery retired because he had a terrible experience making this movie. Apparently he had a lot of disagreements with the director. I can imagine that: "Ya can't jusht have all acshon and no shtory! We need a better shcript. Thesh filmmakersh nowadaysh, I think I ought to retire." I did find this movie fairly entertaining, but I was a little disappointed. Love the concept though. The Opening scene with the tank and the first scene with Quartermain when he fights the armored assassins were my favorite parts of the whole movie.

Michael24

I know Connery apparently didn't think too highly of the film, which I was disappointed to learn because I enjoyed it and thought he was great in it. As usual. But I recall reading that he had turned down roles in The Matrix and Lord of the Rings because he "didn't understand it," so when he was offered another big epic, he still didn't understand it but figured he'd do it anyway since the previous two were huge hits. Unfortunately, LXG wasn't. :(

eroc

Hey, if I were a great film star and was part of this, I would retire too. It has got to be the most embarrassing thing he has done.

Oh wait, wasn't he in Prince Of Thieves?

Michael24

Actually, I'd say any movie in which Sean Connery dresses like this...

Sean_Connery_Zardoz.jpg

...would be his most embarrasing. :eek:

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Prince of Thieves aren't even close.

Michael24

WillKill4Food said:
Great Scott!
What movie was that? That's wrong, and funny at the same time, as most things are.

As ResidentAlien said, it's called Zardoz, from 1974. Ironically enough, it was directed by John Boorman, who directed Deliverance.

And now I just realized that's also the same guy who directed Exorcist II, so perhaps it's not so unusual after all. Haha!!

WillKill4Food

Michael24 said:
As ResidentAlien said, it's called Zardoz, from 1974. Ironically enough, it was directed by John Boorman, who directed Deliverance.

And now I just realized that's also the same guy who directed Exorcist II, so perhaps it's not so unusual after all. Haha!!
That's so creepy. How does one's career recover after that? Oh, wait, it's Sean Connery, never mind...:D

barranca

Zardoz isn't that bad (once you get past connery's costume) like a lot of low budget British sci-fi it has some interesting ideas. He obviously got on better with the director than he did on League (otherwise he never would have worn that!
I like league, it has some great things going for it. It departed too much from the book. I hope one day someone has the balls to go back and make the sequel, with an edgy 'steam punk vibe'. Just Imagine the Huge Martian War Machine army V Victorian Superheroes.
That would be worth seeing.
Sad though; it seems League was the movie that could be blamed for Sean's retirement. If it wasn't for Norrington, Jones Snr may have made that appearance in KOTCS.
By the way after a long 'abscence' from film. Norrington is slated to helm the new version of 'Clash of the Titans'.
He better not muck that up, its a movie I love dearly. Lots of people say 'Jason' was Harryhausen's finest. I disagree, it was Titans.
I met Ray for the first time at the opening of an exhibition of his work when I was 13yrs old. I'd been a fan for a while any way. He was charming and seemed to enjoy having a kid plague him with questions. I've met him once since and he (to my suprise) remembered me!
He and his work are one of the greatest inspirations of my life.

WillKill4Food

barranca said:
Zardoz isn't that bad (once you get past connery's costume) like a lot of low budget British sci-fi it has some interesting ideas. He obviously got on better with the director than he did on League (otherwise he never would have worn that!
I like league, it has some great things going for it. It departed too much from the book. I hope one day someone has the balls to go back and make the sequel, with an edgy 'steam punk vibe'. Just Imagine the Huge Martian War Machine army V Victorian Superheroes.
That would be worth seeing.
Sad though; it seems League was the movie that could be blamed for Sean's retirement. If it wasn't for Norrington, Jones Snr may have made that appearance in KOTCS.
By the way after a long 'abscence' from film. Norrington is slated to helm the new version of 'Clash of the Titans'.
He better not muck that up, its a movie I love dearly. Lots of people say 'Jason' was Harryhausen's finest. I disagree, it was Titans.
I met Ray for the first time at the opening of an exhibition of his work when I was 13yrs old. I'd been a fan for a while any way. He was charming and seemed to enjoy having a kid plague him with questions. I've met him once since and he (to my suprise) remembered me!
He and his work are one of the greatest inspirations of my life.
They're doing a remake? Hope they get rid of that stupid robotic owl, although I'm not sure how they would do that.

barranca

I liked 'Bubo', when I was a kid. It is a little lame now. He in a way wasn't Rays' fault. It was a bit of a cynical marketing ploy by the Execs to have a character 'Like' R2D2 in some ways.
I think a new version might try and hark back to the original Perseus myth more (Ray played around with Greek Mythology with a LOT of artistic licence!!).

barranca

I love Gwangi too, but as far as his 'colour' work is concerned little can top Titans. Re-watch the Medusa scene. He animated that personally. The light effects and how they match the live action are jaw droppingly incredible. I've seen and touched that puppet. Its a staggering piece, every snake on that head moves and he animated each one to keep them looking 'alive'.