League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

barranca said:
I love Gwangi too, but as far as his 'colour' work is concerned little can top Titans. Re-watch the Medusa scene. He animated that personally. The light effects and how they match the live action are jaw droppingly incredible. I've seen and touched that puppet. Its a staggering piece, every snake on that head moves and he animated each one to keep them looking 'alive'.

Perhaps I'm biased about Gwangi because I enjoy it the most. True, Gwangi seems to alternate to a purple/blue colour at times but the Allosaurus roping scene is simply amazing. The eohippus is another nice attraction in the movie, too.

WillKill4Food

barranca said:
I liked 'Bubo', when I was a kid. It is a little lame now. He in a way wasn't Rays' fault. It was a bit of a cynical marketing ploy by the Execs to have a character 'Like' R2D2 in some ways.
Actually, Bubo was made first. See: http://a.parsons.edu/~ggangemi/hoa/images/clash.pdf, near the end.
barranca said:
I think a new version might try and hark back to the original Perseus myth more (Ray played around with Greek Mythology with a LOT of artistic licence!!).
That's what I hope. No krakens, either. They're Norse and not titans by any stretch of the imagination.

kongisking

WillKill4Food said:
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I love this movie.
Yes, it is completely different from the comic books.
Yes, it has a really crappy storyline.
But, it has the coolest setup in the world.
It's basically a Justice League set at the turn of the century.
And that's frikkin' awesome.
So, then, why did it get such a low score of Rotten Tomatoes and the like?
I know the plot was rather poor, although it did have moments of greatness, but apparently it was so bad it made Sir Sean retire?
So, what do you think was wrong with LxD?

I agree. Brainless, CGI-addicted, over-the-top, annoyingly edited, but cheesy action-movie adventure entertainment. Very Indy in tone.

It's basically a Justice League set at the turn of the century.
And that's frikkin' awesome.

That basically sums up why I still have a secret love for LXG. Awesome concept, through and thru. Execution: not so perfect, but fun as hell and with really cool characters (Sean's Quatermain rules more with every passing second...), and I love how they make Hyde into a Hulk-styled anti-hero. Nice characterization!

Although Mina Harker was flat as pancakes.

Dorian was slimy, enigmatic and just plain cool.

Nemo was exactly how I imagined him visually as far as style and personality.

Skinner (nice name, BTW...:hat: Clever!) was funny, smart-mouthed and a joy to watch as the mischievous Invisible Man. Although the effects for his character look positively second-rate after seeing Hollow Man.

Moriarty was a terrific baddie, even though i have never read the Holmes series.

Agent Tom Sawyer made for a great, rambunctious sidekick Short Round-style, and it was amusing watching his "American" solutions to problems.

And finally, the Super Hyde from the climax was badass coolness all by itself. (y) (y) (y) If Abomination is even a pint as cool as this in the upcoming Incredible Hulk, I will squeal with glee!

Michael24

kongisking said:
Although Mina Harker was flat as pancakes.

Funny enough, this was actually the first time I ever liked Peta Wilson in anything she had done. I remember groaning in dissatisfaction at seeing she was going to be in it, but I ended up really liking her and saying to myself, "Oh, so the girl is capable of being watchable." :)

WillKill4Food

kongisking said:
I agree. Brainless, CGI-addicted, over-the-top, annoyingly edited, but cheesy action-movie adventure entertainment. Very Indy in tone.
Haha. Yeah, I know that Indy has a different tone, but, like I've said, the movie had a great concept and was a crowd pleaser. That's why I thought it would do good. But, it didn't; and I think they should make a better improved sequel with Sean returning. But, that'll never happen.
kongisking said:
That basically sums up why I still have a secret love for LXG. Awesome concept, through and thru. Execution: not so perfect, but fun as hell and with really cool characters (Sean's Quatermain rules more with every passing second...), and I love how they make Hyde into a Hulk-styled anti-hero. Nice characterization!
Yeah, I really wish they had put more thought into it and let the comic writers write the movie.
kongisking said:
Nemo was exactly how I imagined him visually as far as style and personality.
Really? I thought that his character should have been stronger and more looming; sort of like Barbossa in Pirates 1. Instead, he was like Barbossa in Pirates 3. :(
kongisking said:
Agent Tom Sawyer made for a great, rambunctious sidekick Short Round-style, and it was amusing watching his "American" solutions to problems.
He is another reason that I loved the movie.

Le Saboteur

LXG was a cinematic abomination. It's a textbook example of how to take a stellar source of inspiration and do absolutely everything wrong; not only wrong, but god awful. There wasn't a redeeming piece of this movie outside of its set decoration and costume design. Oh, and Nemo's wonderful sub.

Where does he get those wonderful toys?

That was nigh on a decade ago. Now, Fox wants to earn a piece of Alan Moore's perpetual ire! According to The Hollywood Reporter, Fox has committed to a "put pilot" deal for a League of Extraordinary Gentleman teevee series*.

*- a "put pilot" deal essentially means that the pilot must be aired on television or Fox will need to pay out some very, very hefty penalties. So, we'll see a pilot at some time in the future, but whether or not it gets picked up as a series remains to be seen.

Michael Green (Heroes, Smallville, Kings) will write the pilot, produce, and become the eventual showrunner if it gets picked up. I don't know who Erwin Stoff is, but he will also produce. He had something to do with The Matrix.

I'm cautiously optimistic in the series' revival because of Fox's most recent offerings on F/X. If it ends up on regular Fox television, it's going to suck. Hard. Again.

Mina Harker needs to remain the team's leader and recruiter sans vampiric abilities; Allan Quatermaine needs to be an ex-drug addict well past the prime of life, and Nemo... well, Nemo needs to be allowed to do something.

So, there you have it. In the next couple of years, the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen will be coming to a television screen near you.

Wired chimes in too.

1794132-the_league__dramatis_personae_by_adamhughes.jpg