LEAST favorite movies!

maquino

Sequels [and Prequels]

When an adventure/action/horror movie turns out to be a real hit, sequels [and in Lucasfilm's case prequels as well] are churned out to keep the receipts flowing as long as possible. This is probably inevitable, but I for one cringe at the phenomenon, because almost always the initial genius is prostituted in clumsy attempts to keep what seems to be the "success formula" going. The theme is then wrung out, like a wet washcloth, until $-exhausted.

Indeed I think that Lucasfilm is one of the worst offenders in this regard. The original Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark were just stunning, and burst upon audiences at the time like fireworks. Then Lucasfilm ground out se/prequels that increasingly just fumbled and stumbled.

For instance: If Temple of Doom had been the initial Indiana Jones movie, do you think it would have had anywhere near the impact, and the immortalizing of the character, of Raiders? And The Last Crusade descended into "Abbott & Costello" slapstick, with the supposed-to-be-funny put-downs between Connery and Ford. As much as I like Sean Connery (and I do), I think that his presence in this film simply served to confuse and upstage Ford, so that we could not concentrate on Indiana Jones' heroism. He was too busy getting his face slapped and being lectured like a little boy by his father.

A few other progressively-anæmic sequel-stretchouts: James Bond, Superman, Gods & Generals (following Gettysburg), Conan, Psycho, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Amityville, and Phantasm. I guess there can't possibly be a sequel to Titanic unless you count Raising the Titanic!

Occasionally sequels do refine the original idea. The second "Rambo" film was clearly more spectacular than the first, although the third was a weak "formula"-turkey.

Michael Aquino

Element

you guys want to know a really bad movie?

SUPER NOVA. This movie was probably the weirdest and most worthless thing I have ever seen in my life. (No offense to anyone who liked it).

Deadlock

How about Mortal Kombat Annihilation? The CG in that movie was so horrible (even worse than the acting, though not quite as bad as the script). :sick:

mra

I remember being really disapointed with "A View to a Kill" (Bond 1980's) and have rarely seen one since.

Indyologist

Worst movie I've ever seen is one called "Straight to Hell" about some bank robbers who come upon an old western town full of cowboys high on coffee. Hilarious premise, crappy movie.
angry-smiley-019.gif

maquino

Woof, Woof!

In addition to blood-out-of-a-turnip pre/sequels, I will also throw a rock at "shaggy dog story" movies - the ones where you sit through two hours of dreary schlock only to get to an ending that leaves you hanging there saying, "And? And?"

Barry Lyndon comes to mind as a great time-waster. More recently The Blair Witch Project. I can probably think of some others, but don't want to! :sick:

Michael Aquino

Joe Brody

Watched Van Helsing last night. What an embarassment for all involved. I knew it was going to be bad . . . but what a formless meandering fiasco. Hugh Jackman should stick to Broadway.

Original Raider

Love and Basketball: what a horrendous piece of crap that was. Not only was I dragged to it I had to pay to see it. Almost cosidered walking out. That and Gigli, which I never saw but had to mention.

IAdventurer01

Sorry, Harry. The worst movie that I HAVE SEEN (meaning there are probably worse, I just haven't seen them) is Blade Runner.

the Whip Master

Indyz Azn Gurl said:
These films are the ones I've regretted watching...

Titanic__You've Got Mail__LoTR__The Ring__Tomb Raider__Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon__Matrix__The Devil's Own__The Tuxedo__Pirates of the Caribbean__A Walk to Remember__Garfield: The Movie__MIIB__Wild Wild West__Finding Nemo__American Pie__Austin Powers__Cable Guy__Dumb and Dumber__Mortal Kombat__Anchorman.

I'm pretty sure I've seen more films that just REEKED.
But these are the ones that come to my mind so far.

What?!? Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was great. And LOTR and The Matrix were good too.

Original Raider

IAdventurer01 said:
Sorry, Harry. The worst movie that I HAVE SEEN (meaning there are probably worse, I just haven't seen them) is Blade Runner.

No way! Blad Runner was great, watch it again, on DVD if they have it. Its got such a great plot, almost Matrix-like. Granted the ending is a little off, but dont let that deter you.

Indyologist

Joe Brody said:
K-Pax
Tears of the Sun
Braveheart
Chicago
Gangs of New York
Red Dragon
MIB II
Planet of the Apes
Evolution
Life or Something Like It
Bowfinger
T-3
Two Weeks Notice
Novocaine
Fifth Element
Bad Company
The Haunted Mansion
Perfect Storm
Deep Impact
Showtime
Last Castle
The Musketeer
Robin Hood, Prince of Theives
Good Girl
3,000 Miles to Graceland
Four Feathers
Thin Red Line
Hannibal
The Governess

Wow, Joe B-- you really gave this some thought!

Personally I think 99.9% of all made-for-TV movies really suck. "Roots" and "Shogun" are the only ones I can think of that were actually any good. Oh, and the whole "V" sci-fi series wasn't half bad, either.

Last edited:

Indy500

A Very BAD movie is :

The Omega Code

I walked out of the cinema.

One of the worst flicks has to be Highlander 2

For you Plan 9 fans, you must check out Ed Wood with Johnny Depp and Martin Landau!