Second time is a charm!!!... a motivational return to INDY 4

QBComics

The 1st time was great because people clapped during great parts and laughed when they were supposed to and it was great! I plan to see it twice sometime soon, but the first time I loved it. It was just so surprising to see new footage it was all so fast,fun, and somewhat confusing... (Especially at the end with the rotating room and aliens) I just need to see it again to understand it better.

deckard24

While still flawed at times, KOTCS is considerably better the second time around!! It has its issues, but that in my opinion puts it a similar category as TOD and LC. They both had flaws but were lots of fun, and they're still enjoyable to watch today! I can see this movie now growing on me like LC did. I know I'll never love it like Raiders or TOD, but I'll still pop it in the DVD player from time to time.

Mrs_Fedora

deckard24 said:
While still flawed at times, KOTCS is considerably better the second time around!! It has its issues, but that in my opinion puts it a similar category as TOD and LC. They both had flaws but were lots of fun, and they're still enjoyable to watch today! I can see this movie now growing on me like LC did. I know I'll never love it like Raiders or TOD, but I'll still pop it in the DVD player from time to time.

Absolutely true, just give KOTCS some time...

lsir123

loved it both times

I saw it a 2nd time again with a friend, so far everyone of my friends that has seen it has loved it, course that's only like 5 friends ... ha.

I really liked it better the 2nd time. I liked it the first time but i loved it the 2nd time. I mean there were parts not perfect, but I've watched the other three and thought there were some not perfect parts in them as well.

I just think at least for some it is impossible to beat the expectation of something you watched when you were a kid and shaped your whole childhood and not come away disappointed.

The swinging in the vines part didn't even bother me so much. And that was really the only part that I thought was just over the top.

I mean really in temple of doom, in the mines they almost pulled short rounds arms off (similar to the sword fight with shia if u ask me) ... indy stopping a mine cart with his feet? yeah that is possible.

anyway, i will probably see it again down the road, and buy it to add to the collection.

lsir123

i really think

That the mix of what was in the originals with this 50s feel after you get used to it really works well and it's actually a neater direction than some have given credit. I mean i mean some of the close ups in some scenes just made it look very 50s movie look.

But then I really liked how so many scenes were always filled with like a portion of sunlight on the characters faces and there was always this cool shade of light on them ...i dont' know if anyone noticed that but i liked that.

robweiner8

I enjoyed it more the second time. I think its because at midnight on thursday i walked into the theater excited as hell, having watched all the old movies many times over the past few weeks. And when it wasnt Raiders, I was kinda let down. However, upon the second viewing I accepted the film for what it was and loved it.

Nurhachi1991

Yeah I saw it with my friend yesterday for the second time and I thought it was just great much better than my first viewing.

Mike00spy

I've liked it better each time I've seen it as well. For me, the major hurdle was accepting the fact that after 20 years, there was a new Indy adventure. Instead of imagining how it would be, I was able to see the film for what it was.

Hopefully the 4th viewing will be sometime soon.

commontone

Count me as one who liked it much more the second time. It's still not fantastic, but I definitely feel it's a worthy addition this time around, whereas the first time I walked away feeling a little disappointed and cheated.

Mickiana

I very much enjoyed my first and only viewing and expect, like all you guys, to enjoy it more and more with subsequent viewings.

commontone

The only thing that will probably always bother me is the soft-focus lighting in some scenes, like in the diner or at the end (avoiding spoilers here). It can't be because they were trying to make Ford look better...he looked fine in the more sharp, high-contrast shots. In the diner it looks like one of those late-nite tv ads for psychics, or a jewelery commercial; softened and airbrushed into obscurity.

After my first viewing of KotCS I watched part of Last Crusade again. Interestingly, I found myself viewing LC with the same mindset I had viewed Indy 4; sizing it up, being critical, almost daring it to be "good enough" for the series. And not surprisingly I didn't enjoy it like I used to. I watched some more of it today though, and loved it again.

That convinced me that KotCS is probably only mildly more flawed than the other movies, but still 100% Indiana Jones and a solid, if not sublime, addition to the series.

Gustav

I saw it for the third time tonight and I enjoy it more every time. I think it's because I was looking so hard the first time that I saw every single piece of ridiculousness in it, but you can see a lot of ridiculousness in the old ones too, if you look for it.

deckard24

Gustav said:
I saw it for the third time tonight and I enjoy it more every time. I think it's because I was looking so hard the first time that I saw every single piece of ridiculousness in it, but you can see a lot of ridiculousness in the old ones too, if you look for it.
Exactly!!
The fact that we all saw the trailers a 100 times each doesn't help either. The jokes wear off a bit after you've heard them ten times!

jasperjones

I also think that a lot of people forget that they were 19 years younger when they saw the last film as well. As a 12 year old I loved TLC for being a great fun Indy adventure. I wasn't looking for perfection, invisible effects, great performances, the relevance of the Macguffin or a lean, gritty follow up to Raiders. Over the last 19 years I've come to love all the Indy films inspite of their flaws (Raiders is the only near perfect one). I think this one fits in perfectly with the sequels and in spite of its flaws (I think it has the most obvious flaws of any Indy flick with the easily criticisable duel and Tarzan swing) I can see familiarity really helping this one too and I can't wait to own this baby on DVD. I'm not saying everybody should give it a free pass at all but there are plenty of people out there who really do dig the hell out of this film and it doesn't mean they are blind to its flaws in the slightest. I just don't think they derail the film. It seems to me that some of the haters are blind to the qualities the film has and unable to let the flaws go. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it certainly doesn't make it fact that the film sucks. You cannot underestimate the nostalgia factor at all when overlooking the same issues that the other sequels undoubtedly have. One look at the general contemporary critical consensus towards Doom and Crusade should show you that at the time they received very similar mixed reviews.

Agent Z

deckard24 said:
Exactly!!
The fact that we all saw the trailers a 100 times each doesn't help either. The jokes wear off a bit after you've heard them ten times!

Not to mention the fact that a great deal of the dialogue that we have absorbed from the trailers sounds different and comes at different moments in the finished film.

Agent Z

jasperjones said:
....and I can't wait to own this baby on DVD.

I may be doing my first ever fan edit when I get my hands on the dvd.

Bye bye monkeys and prairie dogs! :gun:

jasperjones

I didn't mind the prairie dogs at all but you would think that the producers would realize the cutesy CG would wind up the fanboys and doubters in the first second of the movie. I would love to chop the tarzan swing but can't see how you can with the switching around of people on the ducks.