Skull plot - order of events now we've seen the trailer

God'sRadio

There's footage of the hat on the ground in some of the behind the scenes video on the official site, so I'm sure it is in the movie.

nitzsche

I'm sure it's in the movie as well. I was suggesting just in that one initial shot of the soldiers circling the car. Someone also pointed out the two different surfaces as well - one concrete and one dirt.

TennesseBuck

God'sRadio said:
I assume he is kidnapped and bundled into the trunk at some point, but at some point is also in the car proper - the hat falls outs when the driver gets out?

If you recall, that same Army car was being followed by those crazy teens from the first day of shooting...maybe Indy is already in the trunk and those teens might tease the soldier or something along those lines. :whip:

nitzsche

Whoa! I just checked that vid out again - do my eyes deceive me or is Indy driving that car around the teens?

I think you can see Harrison in the driver's seat when Spielberg and Lucas pull away past that car.

Maybe Indy is purposefully sneaking Mac into the facility.

Wilhelm

Was Shia in the New Mexico shooting? I remember that the first video of the offcial site was an interview with him.

Finn

Staff member
Wilhelm said:
I remember that the first video of the offcial site was an interview with him.
And does that mean it was shot in New Mexico? To me it looked more like a soundstage.

C'mon people... you need to get rid of that chronological pipe view. Yeah, New Mexico might have been the first place they shot some actual footage in, but pre-production vids could really have been shot anywhere. If I post a clip of John Hurt stepping on some dog droppings on my back yard that was shot on the time the beards were at New Mexico, does that mean Hurt's in the New Mexico sequence and the first thing we see him do onscreen is a fateful step into some mutt guano?

Burke

^^

And if you view the "wraps" for each of the trilogy at the official site, you'll see the last shots filmed for each movie aren't chronological, either. It's how it be done in Hollywood.

nitzsche

OK, I have been rethinking some things. There's the theory that these are Russians in US Army disguise and this is based on what? The fact that Spalko is walking around in a Soviet military uniform in a US military facility. How else could she do this if the other soldiers weren't Soviet goons in disguise, right?

That's the prevailing idea, I think.

Well, how realistic would it be to have all these Russians running around and not a single legitimate US soldier knows about it or reacts to it?

So we have to ask ourselves some different questions.

Why is Spalko there trying to access something from the Roswell incident?
Why would the US Army allow her to do it?
Why would Indy and Mac be trying to stop her?
Why would the US Army be trying to stop Indy?

I think it all comes down to who Agent Spalko actually is and what authority she has to be in the warehouse ordering the US military around.

All those soldiers in the trailer can't possibly be spies, can they? And if they're not spies, then Indy has made himself an enemy of the State.

Wilhelm

Maybe Indy has to cooperate with the enemy. I remember a declaration of Harrison Ford long time ago:
"Also the new Indiana Jones that I will soon interpret for Spielberg has need of time in order to understand the conflict between inner choice and political reasons."

About Shia in New Mexico:
If Shia is in the New Mexico scenes then that couldn't be the opening action scene because Shia meets Indy in Marshall College. Shia was in the first video and in the ComicCon presentation with Indy and Mac wearing the same clothes that in the trailer. Spielberg said in ComicCon that the rest of the cast wasn´t working that day. I don't know. Maybe he's involved with the car with those teenagers from the first day of shooting. Or the warehouse is the opener with just Indy and Mac. Anything could happen.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I'm still trying to figure out who the chick in pink with lightish hair from the New Mexico stuff in that first day of shooting video. At the time, I think it was Blanchett, but it seems you guys think the car has teens in it? What the heck would a bunch of teens be doing in a car in the middle of the desert near a warehouse? Who are they, Mystery Inc and Scooby Doo? :p

God'sRadio

The blurb on the back of the Cemetery Warrior toy package reveals that Indy and Mutt go looking for a clue at the tomb of a conquistador. I assume this is the scene where Indy says his part-time line (its different in colour and tone from the temple scenes)

God'sRadio

Speculating, the cemetery scene must come after the Marshall scenes (Indy as teacher) and presumably Mutt's apparent surprise at Indy's abilities and / or mere presence there indicates that Indy said he couldn't/wouldn't accompany Mutt down there to seek out the clue (and to rescue Marion?)

Perhilion

God'sRadio said:
The blurb on the back of the Cemetery Warrior toy package reveals that Indy and Mutt go looking for a clue at the tomb of a conquistador. I assume this is the scene where Indy says his part-time line (its different in colour and tone from the temple scenes)
Yes, but what about the stormy atmosphere in the trailer? That gives me an "end of the movie/world" feeling. But I do hope you're right.

Spriggan Jones

Perhilion said:
Yes, but what about the stormy atmosphere in the trailer? That gives me an "end of the movie/world" feeling. But I do hope you're right.

And where have we seen weather like that before in Indy?

232.jpg

I's say they're trying to evoke a simular vibe with this scene.
:hat:

Burke

I certainly hope the overall effect of the "stormy temple" is better than the strobe light feel the trailer showed. :)