Skull plot - order of events now we've seen the trailer

agentsands77

sandiegojones said:
I think they showed a lot of the warehouse because it's likely the most finished.The editing and effects work probably dictated the action used in the trailer.
I don't think that's the case. In all probability, Spielberg and Lucas decided what editing and effects work was to be focused on so they could develop the trailer they wanted. This trailer has been in development for quite some time, after all.

Darth Vile

agentsands77,

If you saying that you have a source that has shooting script details or is privy to a cut/edit of the movie, and they are stating categorically that the movie opens with warehouse/Area 51 action, then I?ll have to take your word for that and concede the point. Unfortunately for me, I do not have that insider knowledge so I can only use the limited information on show to speculate (wildly sometimes).

Whilst this is clearly not an exact science, using the other Indy movies as a template/reference point seems a fair enough way (IMHO) to speculate with some degree of logic (without that insider knowledge). So for the moment, I?ll keep with that approach and stick with the points I?ve made.

Again ? whilst not necessarily disagreeing or being opposed to an Area 51/warehouse opener, it just seems that (at this stage) there is more evidence to suggest these scenes occur later.

Finally, doing the maths with the action sequences we currently know of for KOTCS versus the other movies, I'd say there must be at least one other key sequence/set piece we know nothing about. This could be the opening sequence?

Blue Jay

if they are indeed in the USA, which i dont see as confirmed because it could be any US military base,
i wonder why the russian soldiers are supposedly wearing us military uniforms and spalko is in her "normal" russian dominatrix uniform.
I dont think that a russian commander at that time could freely walk into an american military base in the USA and is not trying to cover up her real identity.

IMHO that base could be anywhere in the world and the soldiers are really american soldiers.

P.S. I know that we saw a box with Roswell NM on it :p

sandiegojones

Blue Jay said:
if they are indeed in the USA, which i dont see as confirmed because it could be any US military base

Between the US flag and miltary base seen in the trailer (and the fact we know it was shot in NM), plus rumor of Area 51, I don't think there's any doubt. Why would the US keep artifacts (such as the Ark or crystal skull) on non-US soil? They wouldn't!

agentsands77

Darth Vile said:
If you saying that you have a source that has shooting script details or is privy to a cut/edit of the movie, and they are stating categorically that the movie opens with warehouse/Area 51 action, then I’ll have to take your word for that and concede the point.
The source I've heard things from claims to have read a summary of KINGDOM. According to the source, this summary was created for advertising purposes, so that the marketers could come up with campaign ideas. I believe the information to be legitimate because much of what I was told matches up. I don't go parading it around because I don't believe others will find it very reliable (and for good reason), and also because I don't want to be attached to the info. If it turns out to be false (and it very well could be way off), I don't really want my credibility at stake.

To be fair, what my personal source stated is that Indy and Mac would be together at the beginning of the film, fighting with Russians, and escaping a nuclear weapon blast at a test site. That seems to naturally connect to the warehouse sequence (given that the rocket sled appears in the trailer in what appears to be part of the same bunker), though I suppose it could be separate things altogether.

Personally, I think the report from CHUD.com, which is seemingly the most reliable KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL spoiler source around, is rather good reason to believe that the warehouse scene opens the film.

Darth Vile said:
Again – whilst not necessarily disagreeing or being opposed to an Area 51/warehouse opener, it just seems that (at this stage) there is more evidence to suggest these scenes occur later.
I don't really agree, given your argumentation. If we don't take spoiler reports from other sources, suggesting that it happens later is still just as speculative as saying it opens earlier. There's no concrete evidence either way.

God'sRadio

You've all convinced me that the opener (15 mins) is set in the warehouse. Odd cos it shows Old Indy is still in the game (eg it doesn't seem credible it would be set far in the past, but I guess ROTLA had Belloq in the opener and then again a few months later); perhaps the reference to retired means from teaching, not adventuring?

Blue Jay

sandiegojones said:
Between the US flag and miltary base seen in the trailer (and the fact we know it was shot in NM), plus rumor of Area 51, I don't think there's any doubt. Why would the US keep artifacts (such as the Ark or crystal skull) on non-US soil? They wouldn't!

I dont really see proof in the flag, because every american military base has a flag, even outside the us.
I live in berlin and right next where i live was an american base until 1995 and they had the flag everywhere on their grounds.

Although i agree with you on the other points, Still those are rumors. Logic suggests that this is somewhere in america. But we dont know for sure.
We dont know if the ark appears or if they keep the crystal skull there and we dont know if it is actually area 51. it could be any base.

God'sRadio

Blue Jay said:
if they are indeed in the USA, which i dont see as confirmed because it could be any US military base,
i wonder why the russian soldiers are supposedly wearing us military uniforms and spalko is in her "normal" russian dominatrix uniform.
I dont think that a russian commander at that time could freely walk into an american military base in the USA and is not trying to cover up her real identity.

IMHO that base could be anywhere in the world and the soldiers are really american soldiers.

P.S. I know that we saw a box with Roswell NM on it :p

That is odd, isn't it. Hard to see a rational explanation.

sandiegojones

Blue Jay said:
I dont really see proof in the flag, because every american military base has a flag, even outside the us.
I live in berlin and right next where i live was an american base until 1995 and they had the flag everywhere on their grounds.

Although i agree with you on the other points, Still those are rumors. Logic suggests that this is somewhere in america. But we dont know for sure.
We dont know if the ark appears or if they keep the crystal skull there and we dont know if it is actually area 51. it could be any base.

Sure, but for those of us who've been in New Mexico (those who haven't don't really need to go!) can clearly see that's where it is (although it could be the California desert). Utah and Arizona deserts are more "red" looking and the hills in Nevada are pointy or sharp looking.

Burke

I just don't understand (and feel free to savage me if it's been discussed ad nauseum) why many people are convinced the ark has any role in the movie whatsoever. EDIT: Beyond the fact that they're in the warehouse in which it was stored, of course.

If anything, they'd do a quick reference to it like in Last Crusade, and then move on.

sandiegojones

Burke said:
I just don't understand (and feel free to savage me if it's been discussed ad nauseum) why many people are convinced the ark has any role in the movie whatsoever. EDIT: Beyond the fact that they're in the warehouse in which it was stored, of course.

If anything, they'd do a quick reference to it like in Last Crusade, and then move on.
I suggested in another thread that maybe it's more of a audeince thing. We know the Ark is there but Indy wouldn't since he never saw the Ark boxed up.

But, the poster has a crate with a VERY similar serial number.

God'sRadio

Burke said:

Perhaps. There are those stills of him clambering among the wooden crates (the Roswell one is metal.) Maybe it is cameo

BTW Is this a new pic?
indy4-(2).jpg

Last edited:

Burke

sandiegojones said:
I suggested in another thread that maybe it's more of a audeince thing. We know the Ark is there but Indy wouldn't since he never saw the Ark boxed up.

Yeah, good point.

About the Russians-dressed-up theory (and again, I may have missed someone else's similar suggestion), it seems to be more like a few Russians and Spalko infiltrated the U.S. government's storage facility, either secretly or "by invitation", and that it's a battle between the fake soldiers and real G.I.s in addition to Indy trying to stop Spalko from spiriting away the Roswell cargo.

God'sRadio said:
Perhaps. There are those stills of him clambering among the wooden crates (the Roswell one is metal.) Maybe it is cameo

BTW Is this a new pic?
indy4-(2).jpg

This photo was actually released quite a while ago.

Blue Jay

i dont think that the shot of indy putting his hat back on and the shot from indy being thrown on the ground are from the same scene.
When you look at the ground you will see that in the scene with the hat, the ground is sand and it is dusty (notice the bush at front wheel), whereas the shot where he is thrown on the ground is clearly concrete.
In the first pic you can see a rip in the concrete near the front wheels of the car, that should be noticeable in the second pic which it is not!
see for yourself

groundstoneiy0.png

groundsandsr0.png

Burke

Blue Jay said:
i dont think that the shot of indy putting his hat back on and the shot from indy being thrown on the ground are from the same scene.
When you look at the ground you will see that in the scene with the hat, the ground is sand and it is dusty (notice the bush at front wheel), whereas the shot where he is thrown on the ground is clearly concrete.
In the first pic you can see a rip in the concrete near the front wheels of the car, that should be noticeable in the second pic which it is not!
see for yoursel

I believe they're all from the same scene, but that the pictures are slightly out of order. As for the crack, even Spielberg overlooks some detail. Plus, with the tumbleweed visible in two of the pictures, maybe it's blowing dust around. It's the desert, after all. :)

nitzsche

You know, it occurs to me that the hat in the first overhead shot where the soldiers circle the car may have been digitally placed in the shot for the trailer to give a sense of narrative to scenes that don't actually flow in that order.

Finn

Staff member
sandiegojones said:
That doesn't necessarily mean anything either. They simply wanted to give us something that makes us think of Indy. Perhaps that was the whole point with the reversed numbers, as to tell us subtly "it's really not about the Ark".

Plus, I think it's pretty obvious the way things are cut in the trailer are NOT in the order these shots appear in the movie - if they appear there at all.

Burke

nitzsche said:
You know, it occurs to me that the hat in the first overhead shot where the soldiers circle the car may have been digitally placed in the shot for the trailer to give a sense of narrative to scenes that don't actually flow in that order.

Yep. Why else would Indy have left his hat on the ground while he hid(?) in a trunk?