The "Casual Fan's" Reaction to KOTCS

Jones_Happens

More than likely, the folks posting on this board consider themselves "diehard" Indy fans. I am wondering what reactions anyone has received from more casual viewers of KOTCS.

My wife, for instance, has seen all three of the previous Indy films, but would not consider herself a "diehard" fan by any means. She loved KOTCS. Similarly, other friends of mine (basically just seeing all the summer blockbusters) have professed their love for the film.

What reactions have you lot heard from more casual movie-goers?

Mrs_Fedora

A collegue of mine (not a very big Indy fan) can be a real critic, she easily hates movies. But she liked it!

Michael24

My best friend is probably more of a "casual fan." He's seen and liked the others, but hasn't watched them probably as many times as I have. He saw the movie over the weekend and reported back that he thought it was "awesome." :)

Kernunnos

I watched it with my girlfriend, and she reckons it's the best Indy film of all.

My brother saw it yesterday, and he absolutely loved it.

A friend watched it on Saturday, and said it made him want to kill George Lucas. I think he spent the duration of the movie dissecting it to pieces to find ammunition for his obbsessive hatred of the bearded one.

davejames

My dad liked it, but my friends and sister all thought it was either disappointing or outright sucked.

And anyone who thinks it's just a handful of "whiney fanboys" complaining needs to scroll through the Yahoo user reviews. The average grade might say B-, but you actually read the comments and most of them are harsh as hell. These aren't just a bunch of dumb teenagers either; there's a lot of parents and such too.

Perhilion

A friend watched it on Saturday, and said it made him want to kill George Lucas. I think he spent the duration of the movie dissecting it to pieces to find ammunition for his obbsessive hatred of the bearded one.
Sort of like what lots of people here did, huh? I sometimes envy casual Indy fans, because they can watch the movie without noting every little mistake or difference. They know how to actually enjoy the movies, where as for many of us it's sort of like a ritual- it has to be just so or it aint' Indy.

|ZiR|

My sister really enjoyed it, and my brother hated it. He went on to say that it "ruined his childhood" until I pointed out that he didn't like the original movies, even as a kid.

He also said that not only were National Treasure, and Fool's Gold better films (!!!) but that they beat KotCS to the punch.

I was left with no choice but to slap him for blasphemy.

Crack that whip

It certainly seems to me that critics and general, mainstream audiences are both embracing the movie more than ardent Indy fans of the sort who post here.

Michael24

Matter of fact, I'd say my parents are casual fans, too. My dad thought a few parts were a little too over-the-top, but otherwise they both enjoyed it. I'm curious to see my brother's reaction on Sunday when I take him to see it, especially in regards to the climactic moments. :D

Avilos

davejames said:
My dad liked it, but my friends and sister all thought it was either disappointing or outright sucked.

And anyone who thinks it's just a handful of "whiney fanboys" complaining needs to scroll through the Yahoo user reviews. The average grade might say B-, but you actually read the comments and most of them are harsh as hell. These aren't just a bunch of dumb teenagers either; there's a lot of parents and such too.

Anyone who goes to the trouble to write an online review, regardless of the website or their age, is not representative of the majority of moviegoers.

My father and his fiancee thought it was sub par. Nowhere near the original films. All but one of my friends laughed at the premise. There was literal laughter in my theater at certain unintentionally corny parts.

MaxPhactor23

Perhilion said:
If nothing else, KotCS is introducing Indy to the "younger" folk in a positive way.

That's certainly a matter of opinion. My ex girlfriend called me to tell me that she literally walked out of the theater before the halfway mark to go see another flick. Pretty funny.

Sankara

Most most casual fans think that "Indy 4" is a nothing great and that "Indy III" was much-much better...

For many Die Hard-fans like me this movie is one of worst movies of all time...

Last edited: