TOD figures revealed

tnswman

ChromiumBlue37 said:
I remember a year ago when we heard that the team was super jazzed and some off them left the Star Wars Team. They were fighting for the chances to be on the Indy team. They delivered some cool stuff. Hopefully, Hasbro can re group the team and give the Indy line a new approach a little later.

can you imagine how they feel to want to knock this line out of the park and then they hear the words that the line is a under performer and won't continue? I know for a fact that the guy fighting for 8 figure cases just could not understand the multiple packs and revisions of the same figures over and over ( Not counting Indy and Mutt )

tnswman

Arab Swordsman said:
I'm not sure why it has to come from an official source to believe it. Many stories printed in newspapers are done so with un-named sources. At this point why would Hasbro come out and officially say "yes, the line is dead?" It does them no good to admit it before the DVD comes out which will help to boost some sales and before the holiday season. It's all about apperance. While we come to this board and passionately discuss the line tons of casual fans out there don't and it would serve Hasbro to keep those people in the dark about the demise of the line so that they will buy product now in the hopes that it will continue.

This is true for people buying for kids. Would you want to buy them a toy that you know wouldn't be around in the future? If you get them hooked and they want new figures would you want to tell them there won't be anymore? As much as Hasbro has screwed this up they are smart to keep quiet offically. I do trust TN and especially Les that if they say the design teams have moved on then they have. That isn't to say if sales go up dramtically that they can't come back and the line can live on.

And I'm not sure how you think the GI Joe line is small. I think it appers small because they aren't taking up huge spots on the shelves but in my area those figures move very well and new stock is constantly coming in. Plus TN has it dead on when he says GI Joe is able to stay alive because Hasbro doesn't have to pay a license fee to produce those figures like they do with Indy so they have a lot more flexability in sales numbers because of not paying that overhead on the license fee. Knowing what Lucas makes on licensing there is no way in this earth he would sell it at a discount rate to anyone. Why devalue the license to Hasbro which would lead to all the other companies looking for the license getting it at a discount?

Arab, I could Kiss ya..I just hope you don't start getting killed for trusting me LOL!

Like I have any reason to lie about this line dying. LOL!! Why would I?? I wonder if I came out and said it was thriving and surviving if people would argue against that LOL!

Marty Jones

Arab Swordsman said:
I'm not sure why it has to come from an official source to believe it.

It's not so much that as it is I don't believe unofficial sources like random individuals on collector forums who claim to be in-the-know without offering any proof.

Arab Swordsman said:
This is true for people buying for kids. Would you want to buy them a toy that you know wouldn't be around in the future? If you get them hooked and they want new figures would you want to tell them there won't be anymore? As much as Hasbro has screwed this up they are smart to keep quiet offically.

I understand all of that.

Arab Swordsman said:
And I'm not sure how you think the GI Joe line is small. I think it appers small because they aren't taking up huge spots on the shelves but in my area those figures move very well and new stock is constantly coming in.

They don't move any quicker than Indy in any of the stores in the tri-state area that I frequent. The newer figures sell sometimes but a lot of the older ones are still clogging the pegs. The same can be said for Hasbro's Star Wars line (there are still dozens and dozens of 30th Anniversary Collection figures clogging the pegs around my parts).

Arab Swordsman said:
Plus TN has it dead on when he says GI Joe is able to stay alive because Hasbro doesn't have to pay a license fee to produce those figures like they do with Indy so they have a lot more flexability in sales numbers because of not paying that overhead on the license fee. Knowing what Lucas makes on licensing there is no way in this earth he would sell it at a discount rate to anyone. Why devalue the license to Hasbro which would lead to all the other companies looking for the license getting it at a discount?

Again, I understand the difference between Hasbro's G.I. Joe line (which they own out-right) and the Indiana Jones line. I'm simply saying that the collecting community's demand for more coupled with DVD and holiday sales might be enough to see the line continue for a short while in smaller quantities if Lucasfilm and Hasbro take a new approach. And why would Lucasfilm cut them a better deal? So that they can have product on the shelves. Some product is better than no product. The collectors can fuel this line if it is severely cut down. For example - only a few waves per year in smaller assortments and smarter case breakdowns.

I'm just saying - don't rule it out.

Arab Swordsman

Marty Jones said:
And why would Lucasfilm cut them a better deal? So that they can have product on the shelves. Some product is better than no product. The collectors can fuel this line if it is severely cut down. For example - only a few waves per year in smaller assortments and smarter case breakdowns.

This is absolutely not true. Some product is sometimes not better than no product. The more you produce, the cheaper it costs. After you pay the license fee, production costs, advertising, etc and the figure costs you x amount and you sell them at 6.88 per figure to make a profit how would you make a profit making less of the figure at a higher cost? The only way to make your money back is to raise the price and we can all agree that a major reason as to why the line isn't selling is because of the price. For casual toy buyers that's too much for a 3.75 inch figure. I know if the GI Joe figures cost less than 6.88 I would buy them up but as of now I haven't bought a one.

It's impossible for collectors to make a mass market line continue at the same cost to Hasbro and it isn't worth their time and money to decrease the production numbers for collectors. Hasbro is built for mass production. Sideshow is geared to making limited quantities and an inflated cost because they have to make a profit on the limited production numbers. If this were a line created by Hasbro it could possibly work on a smaller scale but having to pay the license isn't going to justify cutting production numbers and raising prices.

Marty Jones

If Hasbro needs to cut down and raise prices to make a collector-oriented line work, then I think it can work. The only reason it hasn't been done before is because this kind of situation is rare. Hasbro is a pretty savvy company and they've really started to pay attention to the collector market in recent years. That's why I'm not ruling out the lines continuation (or revival if it is canceled) in one form or another.

tnswman

Arab Swordsman said:
This is absolutely not true. Some product is sometimes not better than no product. The more you produce, the cheaper it costs. After you pay the license fee, production costs, advertising, etc and the figure costs you x amount and you sell them at 6.88 per figure to make a profit how would you make a profit making less of the figure at a higher cost? The only way to make your money back is to raise the price and we can all agree that a major reason as to why the line isn't selling is because of the price. For casual toy buyers that's too much for a 3.75 inch figure. I know if the GI Joe figures cost less than 6.88 I would buy them up but as of now I haven't bought a one.

It's impossible for collectors to make a mass market line continue at the same cost to Hasbro and it isn't worth their time and money to decrease the production numbers for collectors. Hasbro is built for mass production. Sideshow is geared to making limited quantities and an inflated cost because they have to make a profit on the limited production numbers. If this were a line created by Hasbro it could possibly work on a smaller scale but having to pay the license isn't going to justify cutting production numbers and raising prices.

Right, Plus, Lucasfilm is not going to cheapen it's license now because it needs to stand firm in the thought that another movie or media will happen. If it cuts it's value now, it cut's it's own throat.

The line was geared to make money for the movie year ( that's why EVERYTHING was released with KOTCS ) NOT to be a long running self surviving line.

Hasbro knew this and they threw EVERYONE a swerve.

Look at the interest that was acheived by stating it was a multi-year line...compare it now to what happens when hasbro starts pulling the plugs..Add in terrible distribution and producition problems and ANYONE can see why we are where we are at.

tnswman

Marty Jones said:
If Hasbro needs to cut down and raise prices to make a collector-oriented line work, then I think it can work. The only reason it hasn't been done before is because this kind of situation is rare. Hasbro is a pretty savvy company and they've really started to pay attention to the collector market in recent years. That's why I'm not ruling out the lines continuation (or revival if it is canceled) in one form or another.

Do you really think that Hasbro OR the retailers will cut prices? Do you understand that the less product made means higher prices?

Plus, You have to understand that Hasbro can do WHATEVER it wants but that means NOTHING if the retailers don't bite

Lambonius

Okay guys, WAY off topic. Please beat your dead horse elsewhere. TOD Figs, remember? Still haven't heard back from toyrocket, but last time I emailed them about something, they got back to me by evening the next day, so I'll be checking back periodically.

tnswman

Lambonius said:
Okay guys, WAY off topic. Please beat your dead horse elsewhere. TOD Figs, remember? Still haven't heard back from toyrocket, but last time I emailed them about something, they got back to me by evening the next day, so I'll be checking back periodically.

GOD!! THANK YOU!! I'm tired of repeating myself.

Marty Jones

There have been a few early reports of the TOD figures showing up on pegs on Rebelscum. One was an American collector (not sure where exactly he was from) and another was from a foreign collector. I'll see if I can find out more.

Billy Ray

Marty Jones said:
There have been a few early reports of the TOD figures showing up on pegs on Rebelscum. One was an American collector (not sure where exactly he was from) and another was from a foreign collector. I'll see if I can find out more.

What section was the report in? I just looked and couldn't find anything.

Deckard

Providing my buyer shipped in a timely manner, I will have Indy, Shorty, and Mola Ram tommorow with loose pics for everyone.

tnswman

Deckard said:
Providing my buyer shipped in a timely manner, I will have Indy, Shorty, and Mola Ram tommorow with loose pics for everyone.

Did you buy from the guy who had the other new toys? Because He shipped mine yesterday

Deckard

tnswman said:
Did you buy from the guy who had the other new toys? Because He shipped mine yesterday

Hmm not sure tbh, there were 2 who had ToD stuff up. I payed $15 a pop, but considering I still haven't found a Vogel or Elsa and got lucky with the Grail Knight and Henry on Hasbro's site, I figured it'd be worth it.

I'll pick up the other 3 at stores at some point and if I can't, it won't be the end of the world, I got the 3 I wanted in this set. I wish they had done a Red Dress Willie instead, but I see how that wouldn't have fit with the rest of the wave.

Marty Jones

Billy Ray said:
What section was the report in? I just looked and couldn't find anything.

I believe it was in the CTR classifieds - but I'm not sure which thread.

I found one of the two here (last post in the thread):

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=67567876&Number=3398941&Forum=,,All_Forums,,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=3379523&Search=true&where=&Name=20060&daterange=&newerval=&newertype=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post3398941

I saw another one from a collector outside the US - I'll let you know if I come across it again.

Last edited:

Lambonius

This was toyrocket.com's response to my email inquiry to their changed shipping date. Not sure what to make of it. Hadn't heard anything about this "test market." Sigh...I just want these figures. :confused:

Toyrocket.com to me
show details 6:07 PM (2 minutes ago) Reply

The release date is what was provided by Hasbro. These figures have been
released in Colorado which is a test market. If the figures succeed in
Colorado then Hasbro may continue with future series.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2008 4:28 PM
To: orders@toyrocket.com
Subject: toyrocket.com contact us forms

subject: Question about order

Problem: I noticed today that the ship date on my preorder has been
changed to Dec. 08. I've been hearing all over that these figures have
been arriving at online retailers and shipping as of this week, in
addition to showing up on ebay, so why the new three-month delay?

Deckard

If thats the case someone needs to get on the horn to colorado and tell them to buy the hell out of this wave so we get more.