Toht's Robotic Arm

HovitosKing

Niteshade007 said:
Yes, I guess my main thing was that it would take out the realistic feel that Raiders has. I guess I don't hate the idea, but I'm glad they didn't use it.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Indy facing off against a Nazi cyborg just isn't my idea of a great adventure film.

Cagefighterkip

i remember being about 7 or 8 and seeing that robo-arm pic in a making of Star Wars/Indy book and thinking "thats stupid that doesnt look like somethign from indiana jones"

No Ticket

TheMutt92 said:
Okay, after looking through all the old info, I really want a villain w/ a mechanical gun arm for Indy V. It'd be a sci-fi touch I think (hopefully) most of us wouldn't object to. (y)

They'll just make it all CGI if they do that. :p

JerryKing

That cyborg was such a thoroughly idiotic concept that it will very likely appear in the unfortunate Pseudoindy V.

Cagefighterkip

JerryKing said:
That cyborg was such a thoroughly idiotic concept that it will very likely appear in the unfortunate Pseudoindy V.

if Indy 5 happens and they do as the 50s B movie again it WILL work...
but if it was still in the 30s as a jungle serial it would NOT work.

WillKill4Food

In my opinion, the robotic arm would have been a cool idea in RotLA, if it had been used.
But it wasn't, and the series was chosen to be grittier and more realistic, so the arm was dropped.
So, now, if the robotic arm is used, it will deter away from the realistic Indy (which was already dealt a sharp blow when aliens entered KotCS :rolleyes: ) and, now that the series is supposed to be realistic and gritty, the robotic arm can't be used.

Kooshmeister

I tend to agree. I like robotic limbs on bad guys, but they belong in more "fantasy-based" action films. Speaking of which, not to derail the topic, but in action movies set in contemporary times that have villains with functioning robotic limbs, does it bother anyone that the bad guy(s) don't make money off them?

Case in point, Zigesfeld in If Looks Could Kill. I already mentioned him, I believe. He works for the movie's main villain, Steranko, whose evil plan is to steal all of Europe's gold and mint his own coins (!). And yet, he has a henchman with a fully-functioning robotic hand, that was apparently invented and installed onto Zigesfeld within the span of but a few days (he loses his hand at the beginning of the movie, then later on he reappears and has the robotic one).

I know it's a cheesy spy movie but why doesn't Steranko patent this technology? He'd become the richest man on Earth overnight. The same applies to the original version of Toht and by extension the Nazis. Why only equip one amputee with a high-tech mechanized limb that doubles as a weapon??? Injured soldiers could be back on the front lines fighting the Allies in no time, with a weapon that can't be easily taken from them because it's attached to their bodies.

Seriously. Whenever writers add in these cyborg enhancements to their villains in movies set during time periods where such technology is either scarce or unheard-of, they fail to address the fact the bad guys could revolutionalize prosthetics and become filthy stinking rich.

WillKill4Food

Yeah, but evil characters getting rich off of their inventions doesn't usually happen in movies - the characters are too busy using them for themselves and their evil purposes. The same goes for good characters, too. Batman could sell his equipment as spelunking/sky-diving/police equipment, but he doesn't because he spends his time doing good.

Kooshmeister

Well I was speaking strictly of the kind of villains who are in it for the money, but insist on doing things the hard way.

aod_groovy.jpg

"GROOVY!"

Johnny Jones

Great, next the aliens will be turning him into Darth Vader. :eek: Knowing Mac, though, he probably would use that technology to make money.

The Man

Mac is not dead; he simply went home...

"Indy! You stupid son-of-a-b!tch! I'm C.I.A.*"

*Covert Interdimensional Alien

Belloq

Try this on for size,

you think that instead of a robotic arm they chose to do something else a little scaled back... let's say the headstaff scar

martinland

Canyon said:
I'm pretty sure I remember reading that they chose to use a two engine plane instead of a four engine one to cut down the cost of the production.
Ha, I even remember (from the Complete Making of book?) George Lucas snapping off the additional engines/wing span to the horror of the model builder. That's a cool way to cut costs. :whip: