Unforgivable George Lucas Sin

HovitosKing

Don't care what Chatter thinks. If it's not the same film that put Lucas on the map, it's not coming into my home. He's lost himself a Star Wars fan.

Raffey

I guess nobody watched that special last week: Star Wars: Empire of Dreams.

George Lucas stated that the changes he made on the films reflect how he, himself envisioned the movies. He is happy with the final product and doesn't care if fans don't like it.

Junior Jones

I'm not a big fan of South Park but has anyone seen the episode with Lucas and Spielberg? The South Park kids publicly complain about the "Special Editions" of Star Wars and ET and one of them says "Next they'll try to change Raiders of the Lost Ark." George and Steven like the idea and the kids spend the rest of the episode trying to protect Raiders from them. It's very funny.

Luckylighter

One thing we have to remember is that no matter how many changes Lucas makes to his films, he can't take away our memories of the way they were. It doesn't really matter whether he releases the theatrical versions on DVD or not, because they have already affected us in their original form, they are already a part of us, they are in our hearts that way. So unless Lucas implants a chip in all our brains to forget the originals, then guess what? All the changes in the world won't make a difference. We are keeping the originals alive whether he likes it or not. He can't change our memories (yet).

Indy Smith

I don't really see the problem. It's only one shot isn't it? One shot will feature Hayden Chrestensen as Skywalker. When Lucas Made RoTJ Hayden wasn't cast. There was no earlier movie. Now you have an actor who has played the Skywalker in his good state.

In the Original he did not have him. So he had to use the actor who was in Vader unhelmeted as an old man in a Jedi suit.

I don't really see how this one shot can detract from the rest of the story as this scene isn't really relevant to the plot. This was a celebatory scene in which everyone was dancing. A real way to feck it up would be get Ewan McGregor in. Make him look older, about the same age as Alec Guiness. Reshoot all of his scenes and remove Guiness and replace him with McGregor. And also reshoot the Vader/Obi-Wan Kenobi fight scenes as they were pretty crap, no? :D I think if that happened fans would be really p'd off!

I am told that George really farked up the Greedo/Han Solo scene. Anyone like to comment?

Webley

Indydan13 said:
There oughta be a law against changing your movie
Should thare be a law against adding more color to a painting you did years ago?
The movie is his and he should do with it what his fat little hart desires.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Anyway, as long as we have the original copies we're safe. He can make as many versions of his films as he wants, we don't have to buy them. (Even though VHS is kinda old...)

Indydan13

(Looks at Webley)

First, it doesn't matter if he envisioned it a different way or he changed something to make the movie make more sense. The fact remains the same. His original movie was a box office smash and people didn't care if Jabba didn't move that much or a tennis shoe was used as an enemy craft or the death star was popsicle sticks on a ping-pong table. They saw the movie as a great movie, and changing it would (and has) ruined what it once was.

Second, would u have liked it if the painter of "the scream" changed the screaming mouth into a smile just because that is what he "envisioned".

Third, what if Lucas changes Indy, would you feel the same way then as you do now?

Finally, "Should we melt his icy heart with a cool island song? or Cool his fiery heart with a hot island song?"
-South Park

Raffey

I think your facts are a little askewed.

George Lucas envisioned the movie entirely different than what was originally presented.

In fact, he has stated time and time again, that he hates the original version because it was still unfinished. This was due to the fact that he was rushed to finish production of it because the studios who were fronting the money to produce Star Wars were quickly running out of money and were on the verge of bankruptcy.

They pretty much pointed a blaster at Lucas and told him to finish it now or else.

It does not matter how much money it made in the box office or what the fans think of it. George Lucas has more than made enough money from them NOT to care.

He has more or less stated that he doesn't really care how the die hard fans react to the trilogy as long as he is happy with it.

Personally after watching the first DVD (Star Wars), I don't think the changes he made are that drastic. He did make Tatooine a LOT more colorful than I ever remembered it to be. And the 'Greedo shoots first scene' isn't that bad.

Indydan13

I understand that his "vision" is all that matters, but then he should make his own special DVD and let the fans have their movie.

I don't care if they're not drastic, just the fact that they're there **** me off.

Finally, it's not "his" movie. It's not whoever published it. It belongs to the fans, because if noone liked it, there would be no or 2 or 3. The fans buy the tickets, toys, books, vhs, dvds, and so on, so he should at least have the decency to please them. If he wanted it a different way, that's nice. Everyone wants things to go the way they planned but things rarely do. He shouldn't get to screw with ONE of the best movies of all time because he didn't like the way they turned out.

Raffey

Indydan13 said:
He shouldn't get to screw with ONE of the best movies of all time because he didn't like the way they turned out.

I am in complete agreement with you. I'm just not as zealously against the changes he's made nor do they anger me as much as some of my friends.

Besides, I have the original films on cough **unauthorized** cough cough DVDs so I can enjoy them in that state as well as the newer :D

Indydan13

You're one of the lucky ones. We who love the movies for what they were are stuck with the new crappy versions.

Ska

Indydan13 said:
It belongs to the fans, because if noone liked it, there would be no or 2 or 3.

In the Charlie Rose interview a few weeks ago, Lucas said that after A New Hope, he was going to film ESB and ROTJ no matter if 50 people saw it or 50 million people saw it.

I'm inbetween the argument and see both sides. Not being a die-hard fan, but liking the movies very much, I would actually rather see Lucas change the films SLIGHTLY to make the story flow better and be consistant.

What Lucasfilm should have done was put both the "original" version and the "current" version on the DVD release. But like stated above, I'm sure we'll see an original trilogy release sometime in the future...maybe right before the release of Ep. III to DVD.

And like the clones that we are, we'll buy them also. Just playing into Lucas's little game...damn he's good.

Finn

Staff member
Oddly enough, everyone finds Hayden Christensen replacing old Anakin (who never appeared in that form "in flesh" as it is pointed out) and argue that will spoil the memories they have, but on the other hand no one seems to be complaining about Ian McDiarmid replacing the "Monkey eyes" Emperor in ESB... :rolleyes:

Raffey

That's because Hayden sucks! LOL! :D

I still don't understand why he is at the end of Jedi. (Haven't gotten around to seeing the changes in Jedi yet).

Yoda, Kenobi and Vader/Anakin die at an old age so there's no reason for the display of Anakin. Do they swap McGregor for Guiness as well?

Luckylighter

According to TheForce.net, when a Jedi turns to the Dark Side, their spirit stays the age they were when they turned.

Apparently, Episode III is going to explain that even further.

Joe Brody

Luckylighter,

That info from the Force.net certainly provides a justification for the change to Episode VI but in my opinion showing the image of a young Anakin undermines two things: First, the victory won by Luke when he saves his father -- because the ghost visions shows Luke the father that he might have had and assures him that his father gets to rest in peace. Second, Luke's aid allowed his father to redeem himself and -- I assume -- enabled the 'old Anakin' to fulfill his destiny and bring balance to the force. Anakin accomplishes this as an old man. So by going with the image of the young Anakin, it's short-changing what the good/old Anakin did in his final moments.

I'm not going to get too excited about this -- and LuckyLighter raises a great point (that the change is likely tied into Episode III) -- but I'd prefer they stayed with the Older Anakin because it makes more sense from a dramatic/narrative point of view.

Last edited:

HovitosKing

Lucas has proven just one thing to me by making changes to his films, and that is he is not the creative genius I thought he was. His films, now that he's butchered the classic originals and digitally altered them, no longer carry any appeal to me. If he'd had his way years ago, and not been forced to produce what he did by the executives, then his material would have sucked then like it does now.

Credit Lucas's genius to impatient studio execs and the lack of CGI and other special effects, not to himself. Anyone who disregards the opinions of the fanbase who MADE them needs to be checked for mental illness.

Deadlock

It's not the CGI that ruins things. Of the special editions, I had the least beef with what they did to Empire Strikes Back. The addition of some CGI scenes in Cloud City didn't bug me, the new Wampa didn't bug me. However, what bugs me is tweaking things in a way that messes with the STORY.

If the "original" intention was to show a younger Anakin in ROTJ, they could have done that in 1983. It wouldn't have been Hayden, but it could have been done. One modification that still ticks me off is the whole Greedo shoots first thing... No, no, no. Han is supposed to be an ice cold, mercenary SOB. And the modificaton to the ending celebration in 1997 seemed to be made just to get a teaser in there for Episode I (the view of Coruscant). Now, that ending scene is being changed again to be a teaser for Episode III. Boo.