Unforgivable George Lucas Sin

HovitosKing

intergamer said:
If you don't like it, go on ebay and buy the laserdiscs of the original films.

As a fan of the original unedited trilogy, I've given lots of money (by my standards, not George's) to Lucasfilm Ltd. and shouldn't have to buy cheaply-made copies of the films I like on eBay.

Docking Bay 94

This is the most heralded addition, finally placing a CG Jabba The Hutt in front of the Falcon to confront Han about illicit money owed. The footage was originally filmed with a fat Welshman in a fur costume as Jabba to which a superimposed image was to be placed over using stop-motion techniques, however the scene was abandoned due to lack of money that George Lucas has as well as time restrictions. However, Lucas never considered the fact that Han Solo walks BEHIND Jabba in the scene and so ILM solved this problem by making Han step on Jabba's tail (which is quite funny!). Also look out for Boba Fett who makes a cameo appearance in the scene towards the end.

This scene makes me cringe every time I watch it. Harrison acts really badly and CGI Jabba looks crappy. ILM's decision to make Han step on Jabba's tail was just plain awful. Can someone tell me why this scene was so special that it had to be added 20 years later? Han already talks to Greedo about owing Jabba money.

HovitosKing

Have you ever seen that old movie called "Vanished" or something like that? There was this guy who rescued a woman and saved her life somehow, then felt uncomfortable with all the feelings of heroism and goodness that filled up inside him. To compensate for these feelings, he decided to start kidnapping women and burying them alive.

Anyway, Lucas seems to be doing the same thing here. He created (apparently on accident) a trio of wonderful films, and now he's trying to throw away his hero status by not only introducing horrible prequels, but butchering the classics and selling them to kids who never grew up on them and don't know the difference. He just doesn't feel comfortable knowing he did so much good, and needs to balance it out with some evil. Or idiocy, at the very least.

Indydan13

Although I am still against the IDEA of changing an original movie (I.E.:changing graphics, lines, whole scenes to make them make more sense) with LOTR excluded (nothing wrong with adding deleted scenes w/cgi to make it fit). I just recently saw SW DVD and I guess I can forgive GL after all...

Attila the Professor

Staff member
And now, it seems, sin has entered the realm of filmmaking.

Truly, it's a question of artistic vision vs. artistic history . Which is more important: what the artist thought before he made it, and wanted to do all along, or what he had to settle for along the way.

QueZTone

HovitosKing said:
No way, you're either on the Dark side or you're not. There's no in-between!!

you've obviously never played the Dark Forces game series featuring Kyle Katarn... :p

I'd say Katarn is the perfect example of someone in between of the Light and Dark Side..

btw its Qui-Gon Jinn, all these ackward spellings make me think you watched a badly subtitled version! :p

Finn

Staff member
Hey, I could correct plenty of spellings too. And only because I've watched these (and plenty of other) movies with subtitles. ;)