Unforgivable George Lucas Sin

HovitosKing

Another thing that bugs me is the TV plug for the trilogy isn't even mentioning the modifications. Most people won't know they're being ripped off until they buy the DVDs.

Deadlock

I can see it now... Star Wars Super Duper Ultra Mega Death Star Edition in 2008.

GEORGE: Well, I always thought that Luke should be more manly, so for this latest release we've CGed in Vin Diesel for all his scenes.

Also, given that Darth Vader represents the struggle of good and evil at an internal/personal level, I felt that black is too dark. So we've changed his suit to appear grey.

Finally, I've decided that it was way to ridiculous that Han Solo had time or attention to learn the Wookie language, so I've decided to make it more plausible that Chewie speaks english and had his parts voiced over by Chris Tucker.

FANS: Aaaaaargh!

:D

Indydan13

I hadn't realized that until you just mentioned it. They obviously know that the DVDs won't sell as good with the changes.

Raffey

Luckylighter said:
According to TheForce.net, when a Jedi turns to the Dark Side, their spirit stays the age they were when they turned.

Apparently, Episode III is going to explain that even further.

Sounds like a reasonable explanation but yet so leaves a HUGE hole in the plot.

Under that reasoning, the Emperor will have changed back to a kinder gentler Palpatine when he died in ESB. Darth Maul and all dark Jedi/Sith would have change back to their former selves(spiritually) once they have died, which basically means as far as the Force is concerned their evil actions against the actions of the good are meritless and therefore does not have any significant consequence or punishment for being evil (which I really don't have a problem with).

But, the fact remains that Anakin died in Luke Skywalker's arms NOT Vader. He made his transformation back from the Dark side to the Light as an old man and an old man should be represented.

Oh well, it's only a movie...er, several of them.... :D :D

Last edited:

HovitosKing

Face it, there's no good reason for the changes other than to **** off fans who've already spent the money, then make it up to them by "allowing" them to re-purchase the set at a later date with the modifications taken out.

Why didn't they cast George Lucas as a Nazi villain in LC?

Indydan13

Not to mention, why did Qui-Quon die a sudden, painful death while Obi-wan just dissappeared? And why doesn't he just magically appear and teach Anakin himself or fight? Since he is a spirit he can probably do physical things and not get hurt.

HovitosKing

Because George Lucas has actually starting writing screenplays after senility has set in. He's writing and making decisions with half the brainpower he used to have, and it's getting ugly.

By the way, I have it on a good source that the Teletubbies will be making a CGI cameo appearance in Episode III.

Luckylighter

Indydan13 said:
Not to mention, why did Qui-Quon die a sudden, painful death while Obi-wan just dissappeared? And why doesn't he just magically appear and teach Anakin himself or fight? Since he is a spirit he can probably do physical things and not get hurt.

This gets explained in Ep. III. It has something to do with what Obi-Wan says in A New Hope, right before Vader offs him. "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

When Ep. I came out in 1999, Lucas gave an interview addressing the Qui-Gon issue (because so many fans expressed confusion), and he said pretty much word for word what I wrote in the above paragraph.

Ep. III, I think, will be the opposite of the last Matrix movie, and actually answer more questions than it raises.

HovitosKing

OR, Lucas used Episode III as an excuse to dodge the question because he had no idea how to explain it.

In Episode III it will be revealed that if a jedi is quick enough to make a wish immediately before death, it will be granted by the force. Obi Wan made such a dying wish, but Qui-Quon forgot.

This is how it works, I don't care whether you like it or not, it's George Lucas's wish for the film. Should a better explanation come up later, he can just alter Episode III and put it in (for re-sale). So shall it be done.

Raffey

Luckylighter said:
This gets explained in Ep. III. It has something to do with what Obi-Wan says in A New Hope, right before Vader offs him. "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

When Ep. I came out in 1999, Lucas gave an interview.

I don't remember Yoda saying it! LOL! He got to be a spirit.

It would be easier if Lucas just said that only the highest achieved level Jedi/Jedi Masters could attain this level of Zen.

Luckylighter

I get the feeling it has something to do with the Dark Side. You watch, their gonna say that Qui-Gon had Dark Side tendencies, that was why his body remained. Maybe it has to do with how evil a Jedi is, or how long they were evil. And lets not forget the medi-chlorians (although many of us would like to forget). They're probably going to figure into all this.

HovitosKing

No way, you're either on the Dark side or you're not. There's no in-between!! That brings into question at exactly what point of grayness are you considered good or evil?

No, Lucas will stick to the Jedi death wish explanation. Maybe Yoda just used his jedi mind trick to make us forget we heard him ask for ghostliness after death.

Indy Benson

In Episode III it will be revealed that if a jedi is quick enough to make a wish immediately before death, it will be granted by the force. Obi Wan made such a dying wish, but Qui-Quon forgot.

No offense, but that sounds ridiculous. So, what if the death wish was to NOT DIE?

HovitosKing

It was sarcasm. Please don't make me add a disclaimer to my sarcastic posts. Everyone else seems to get it...

Webley

This is what I heard if the jedi is prepared to die and ready to die he/she may return as a "Force ghost". Qui-Quon was not prepared to die but Obi Wan, Yoda and Anakin were prepared to die and ready to die

intergamer

I have seen the DVD versions of all three films, and I can assure you that almost all changes are very agreeable. Besides, there's nothing wrong with change. Just like when you buy the Extended Edition of LotR, you get more material than in the original theatrical release. I like that - seeing something new. Besides, the only change that was really bad was replacing Boba Fett's voice with Temuera Morrison - and Boba only has a few lines of dialogue anyway.

If you don't like it, go on ebay and buy the laserdiscs of the original films.

Raffey

Webley said:
This is what I heard if the jedi is prepared to die and ready to die he/she may return as a "Force ghost". Qui-Quon was not prepared to die but Obi Wan, Yoda and Anakin were prepared to die and ready to die

I heard this before...again another plausible explanation. But two points could be brought up:

1) Qui-Quon willingly chose to take on Maul (along with Kenobi) and as a Jedi should have already been prepared to die.

2) Unlike Yoda and Ben (who died knowingly and willingly), Anakin died because the life support system of his Vader suit was malfuctioning due to damage from Dark Force electrical charges he sustained from the Emperor. He had about as much choice/preparation in his death as Qui Quon.

intergamer said:
Besides, the only change that was really bad was replacing Boba Fett's voice with Temuera Morrison - and Boba only has a few lines of dialogue anyway.

What about the scene from A New Hope where Han Solo talks to a CGI Jabba?

intergamer

Chattar Lal said:
What about the scene from A New Hope where Han Solo talks to a CGI Jabba?

That scene was a change for the special edition, and one of the worst. But if anything, the DVDs only made it better - Jabba isn't as stupid-looking.

The interesting thing about adding scenes like that one is that they do make the movie closer to the director's original vision. But part of the B-movie appeal is that things are left out for budget reasons - it makes it more mysterious and magical. It actually makes the movie better. You may recall that the submarine scene which shows how Indy hitchhiked was cut out strategically - that kind of a scene wouldn't have been in a B-movie. And Raiders is better without that walkthrough explanation.

Last edited: