What is the one factor that most CONTRIBUTES to the success of this film?

What is the one factor that most contributes to the success of this film?

• Supporting Characters: Oxley, Mac, Stanton, and the rest

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4th in a Trilogy: How well did it connect? Not enough/Too much?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Attila the Professor

Staff member
So there's parallel threads. I can add a poll if you give me options.

You get the idea. What makes the movie for you?

Last edited:

Grailseeker

I would say the options would have to be:

1. Cinematography (Camera, Screenwork, CGI, Direction)
2. Acting (Harrison Ford, Shia Lebouf, etc)
3. Storyline (Including Character development and dialogue)
4. Stunt work and physical action

James

For me, it was the movie's willingness to move into completely new territory. The opening stuff in Nevada was terrific, and I loved seeing Indy in the 1950's.

Grailseeker

I agree. The first half of the film I know 95% of us fanboys feel it was dead on what we needed to quench our thirst. It was the second half we all found very difficult to accept as an Indy movie.

James

Grailseeker said:
The first half of the film I know 95% of us fanboys feel it was dead on what we needed to quench our thirst. It was the second half we all found very difficult to accept as an Indy movie.

I would actually go so far as to say that they should've just made "Saucermen" back in the 90s. And I hated that script when I first read it. But if you add the crystal skull, Marion, and some atomic ants...it could've been a classic Indy film. I definitely think the pulpy title should've been retained. If nothing else, it would've let audiences know EXACTLY what kind of movie lay in store for them.

The earlier release would've also had several major advantages: F/X that were closer to what everyone was used to. No internet to tear the film apart. And it would've beaten similar (or, Roswell-themed) films like Independence Day to the punch. In time, I think it would've been regarded as a ballsy effort- the way Temple of Doom enjoys an increased stature today.

Personally, I think the Area 51 stuff is just fantastic. I can easily see Steranko-ish paintings in my mind of Indy on the rocket sled or standing before the mushroom cloud. Unlike most recent sequels that have played it fairly safe (ie. more of the same), this is pretty grandiose stuff. If the entire film had continued in this "go-for-broke" manner...who knows?

Hawkeye

1. Physical Action
2. A different feel
3. Interesting plot
4. Characters that made me actually "care" about them
5. Clever comebacks
6. Interesting characterization
7. Sweet effects
8. A really evil villain that made me excited to see her demise

Attila the Professor

Staff member
I'm going with the thematic resonances about knowledge and its transmission, not because it was well done, per se, but because it was a point offering great potential. Some of it was cheesy, as when Indy realized the gold was knowledge, and some of it was played more for laughs than anything else, as in the discussion of Mutt dropping out, but this is what the film is trying to be about. The aliens taught the people at Akator how to farm and irrigate. They collected knowledge and art from all around the world. Oxley created a riddle system that Indy was able to figure out. Indy's a teacher - part-time - but then loses his job. There's an action sequence on a college campus, including in the library, which is seen as valuable but as a counterpoint to fieldwork. And, of course, the MacGuffin apparently will accentuate the telepathic power Spalko already seems to have.

MolaRam2

Harrison Ford and Karen Allan save this movie from being a complete disaster. Without them, KOTCS would make the Phantom Menace look like The Empire Strikes Back.

Snakes

I voted for Harrison Ford as Indy, just because without that nothing else would be nearly as good. Besides that I'm torn between supporting characters and action, both of which were perfectly done.

No Ticket

I'm afraid the movie was just poorly executed. The new characters weren't developed enough so that can't be the reason, the story wasn't done just right so that isn't it, the score was lacking memorable themes so that missed the mark...

No. I think the only thing that really satisfied me 100% was Ford back in the hat. If not for that, I don't think people would like this movie nearly as much as they do. Even though it's a middle of the road affair, Ford as Indiana Jones just gives it bonus brownie points.

His presence really is that important to the series and character.

Crusade>Raiders

Well I love seeing Indy back, I really enjoy the new direction the series went(instead of another Raiders rehash), the cinematopgraphy/score was great too, but the part that stands out the most was the set-pieces. From the warehouse, to Doomtown, to the mortorcyce chase, to the skirmish with the Peruvian ninjas, to the quicksand(hillirous scene here), to the giant chase sequence ending with triple waterfalls, to the actual city of Akator itself(Mayans hiding in rocks for thousands of years? Steps that retract into walls? Why not?)...just a lot of cool scenes.

Salacious

One good thing that this movie does is that it proves Harrison can still play Indy.

That is all, I cant think of anything else positive to say right now.

Laughing time is over!

Joe Brody

Thematic Resonance: Knowledge and its Transmission

????

The only knowledge that was imparted to me in KotCS was how not to handle exposition in an action-adventure film and how not to write the middle part of a film.

(btw, I'm joining the crowd on this one. Harrison Ford needs one more shot to go out on top)