In Which Film Did Indy Take the Hardest Beating?

In Which Film Did Indy Take the Hardest Beating?

• Raiders of the Lost Ark

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • The Temple of Doom

Votes: 55 57.3%
  • The Last Crusade

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters

oki9Sedo

DoomTown said:
Doom Doom Doom! I think getting whipped like that beats gettin shot in the arm anyday...:whip:

What?? No way would getting shot in the arm hurt less than being whipped a couple of times. That would be excruciatingly painful, and thats before we get to how disabling it would be.

Adventure Girl

I gotta go with Raiders.

A) Marion with the mirror -shudders-
B) gunshot
C) the airplane muscle dude :sick:

That was not a pretty film during those parts.... Good, but violent.

Montana Smith

Rocket Surgeon said:
Shot in the arm TWICE...same place!

"To get shot once may be regarded as a misfortune; to get shot twice in the same place looks like carelessness."

Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Indy.

Matt deMille

It's a toss-up between Raiders and Temple. Sorry Crusade, but that movie was too comical for its own good -- Half the beating Indy took didn't feel like it hurt him much, or we didn't wince or feel it as an audience. With Raiders and Temple though, being heavier-duty films, when Indy got hurt, we got hurt with him. Crusade had me laughing. But Raiders and Temple had me exhausted. Still, I put my vote down for Raiders. The desert chase sequence, to me, is the ultimate example of Indy's character:

He is determined to get that artifact, no longer because he's after it himself, but it's personal, and he'll be damned if he lets the bad guys keep it, and so he'll endure the worst of beatings and keep going.

Favorite clip: When Indy slams the truck door and resumes the chase with the Raiders March raising in volume. The look of determination on Indy's face says it all. It's on par with the best moments of Rocky or when Luke listened to Obi-Wan in the Death Star trench and focused. All the beating the hero takes, all the pain and doubt, in that moment, you feel it, you believe it, and you feel as he does -- Gonna win! No matter what.

So, for me, judging Indy's worst beating isn't how dusty he is, how shredded his clothes are or how much he's screamed (although those are all good measurements -- kudos to those who brought them up), but the measure of Indy's beating is based on the moment of his focus, of just how badly (or madly) he wants to beat the bad guys.

On that note, a runner-up: In Temple, right after he says "All of us . . ." and the Thuggie guard looks up to just see Indy standing there with a look of death on his face -- THAT'S how you know the pain a hero has been through, of just how pissed he is when Act III begins.

Udvarnoky

In terms of realism, Raiders probably had the most brutal moment when the Nazi punches Indy in the arm right where he was shot, but at least in that movie he had the luxury of Marion nursing him aboard the ship! In Temple, he was battered all the way through the second half without ever stopping for a breather. I think Temple was also the most successful in making the audience feel like they're being put through the ringer right along with Indy. By the time the climax is reached, with Indy trapped on the rope bridge on both sides while completely drenched in sweat and covered with all the cuts and bruises we actually saw him incur throughout the duration of the picture, you actually feel exhausted yourself. I think that might be one of the strengths of being a more claustrophobic movie than the other Indy's, which had more exotic location hopping; Temple of Doom takes place almost in real time, so the audience is essentially allowed to participate in the adventure every relentless step of the way.

Matt deMille

Good points, Udvarnoky. Especially about Temple of Doom being more in real-time than the others. I guess it's good that Disneyland went with more of a Temple of Doom approach for a ride, then. Makes sense looking at it that way.

oki9Sedo

While, as I said, I think Temple takes the cake, its still very, very close Raiders.

The beating he takes from the mechanic is terrible, even worse than the one the Chief Guard dishes out. And, as has been said, he gets shot in the arm and has the wound punched repeatedly not long after.

Raiders90

Rocket Surgeon said:
Shot in the arm TWICE...same place!

How was he shot twice in the same arm?

If you take the YIJC into account he was stabbed in the same place on the same arm years earlier, in 1918.

oki9Sedo

I was glad that Indy gets a good old beating in Crystal Skull[/i0, because its tradition that he gets beaten, bruised and bloody in the films, its part of what makes them so thrilling and unique for their time, the fact that the hero is vulnerable.

I was concerned that they would be kinder to him in Crystal Skull given Ford's age and also given that we live in a more PC world where the level of violence in family films is under perhaps greater scrutiny than the days of Gremlins, Jaws and Raiders.