In Which Film Did Indy Take the Hardest Beating?

In Which Film Did Indy Take the Hardest Beating?

• Raiders of the Lost Ark

Votes: 35 36.5%
  • The Temple of Doom

Votes: 55 57.3%
  • The Last Crusade

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters

MaxPhactor23

When you're in a position when your best option is to cut a rope bridge suspended ridiculously high over a crocodile infested river and hope you somehow are about to climb up and survive?that really says it all.

deckard24

Attila the Professor said:
I voted ToD, as the arguments made for it are pretty conclusive, but I feel like the hardest single <I>moment</I> may have been the very end of the tank chase, up to and through his falling off of the cliff. He's in pretty bad shape right then, sitting there resting, when they're so near to the end.
Yeah it's a toss-up between that scene though, and the scene on the Bantu Wind with Marion tending to his injuries, followed closely by him climbing with a busted hand up the side of the rope bridge in TOD. He does look very defeated though in LC as he's kneeling there in the dirt by the edge of the cliff.

One thing that struck me with this thread, is how in God's name is Indy not more crippled and arthritic by now in KOTCS? I know it's a movie and we are to suspend our belief, but for some reason I never thought of Indy and John McClane being so similar until now. They both should be being being wheeled around, with all the injuries they've had over the years!

Katarn07

John McClane? Probably. But Indy drank from the Holy Grail and it rejuvinated him. He's not immortal but he's a lot better off than he would have been otherwise. That's the in-universe, geeky explaination deckard ;)

I was going to vote for RotLA but No Ticket's analysis changed my mind. ToD definately.

For me, the single most painful moment for Indy is when the German punches his gun shot wound. Indy's face twists into a form of agony you don't see from the character again. And then I see the Bantu Wind scene and am reminded that's how I feel after playing camp games over the summer for hours without usually being too active. lol

MattJones

Katarn07 said:
John McClane? Probably. But Indy drank from the Holy Grail and it rejuvinated him. He's not immortal but he's a lot better off than he would have been otherwise. That's the in-universe, geeky explaination deckard ;)

It was as if he was cleansed of his past pains and aches.

oki9Sedo

Temple of Doom, I think. He takes alot of pain in that film.

The Germanic mechanic/truck chase scenes in Raiders are very rough on him too, though.

The tank chase is the only scene in Crusade where he's put through the mill like in the previous two.

Snakes

The punch to the chest looked extremely painful also. The sound he makes is horrible. I he gets beaten the most in TOD. He gets beaten pretty badly in the others, but TOD takes the cake.

xVendetta17x

I wonder if Indy will lose his hat in another close call in Kingdom
Getting blown off in Last Crusade was a poor way to almost lose it
But yes Temple of Doom by far

Grave Robber

No Ticket said:
Don't forget his foot gets set on fire too. Let's take a look.

- Posioned
- Stabbed multiple times (it's voodoo, but he still FEELS it)
- Punched a lot
- Whipped
- Drugged (blood of kali)
- Foot on fire
- Strangled
- Gets burned by Shorty

That's just the physical side.
Then there's what he had to DEAL with.

- Jump out of a plane in a raft, then fall over a cliffside
- Jump out of a window
- Save a ton of children from slavery
- Outrun guys in a mine tunnel with no brake to stop it then outrun a flood of water rushing his way
- Cut a rope bridge and hang onto it as it falls
- Not have a gun through the entire film
- Have his mind toyed with
- Trek through the jungle on elephants with... Willie
- Nearly gets crushed in the spike room
- Almost loses his HAT!

No ticket you forgot to mention how while hanging from that bridge Indy had to deal with:
-Not falling
-Dodging arrows
-Defeating Mola Ram
-Keeping Mola Ram from ripping his heart out
-Hanging on to at least one stone

Talk about freaking multitasking and badass!

xVendetta17x

Yeah I mentioned earlier that the bridge scene alone would've put so much strain on Indy
Not to mention that he had to climb up with the Stone in his hand

Mr. Z

The marathon from the Well of Souls, the plane adventure, and the truck chase is pretty hard to top for endurance and no chance of rest at any point. That's really where the mileage piled up. :)

xVendetta17x

There's no denying that Raiders put him through a lot
But just look at the list we've already compiled from Temple
He definitely got his ass handed to him on several occasions

Mr. Z

I hear ya man. It's a tough call for sure. I sure wouldn't last very long in any situations! :p

No Ticket

Grave Robber said:
No ticket you forgot to mention how while hanging from that bridge Indy had to deal with:
-Not falling
-Dodging arrows
-Defeating Mola Ram
-Keeping Mola Ram from ripping his heart out
-Hanging on to at least one stone

Talk about freaking multitasking and badass!

True... Indy let's out a few "Come on, enough already!!" sighs throughout this movie. Like on the rope bridge he just says, "Oh ****." And then when the arrows fly he says "GEEZ!!"

I love that! It's like, it's not enough that he has been through HELL and come back out... but now they're shooting arrows at him while he is TRYING to climb it.

And I love how he shakes the bridge a little before he starts climbing like ... "ALRIGHT, I'M ALMOST DONE HERE... HERE I GO!" When he finally gets to the top ... I love how he puts the stone up at the top of the bridge to show Willie and Shorty... like "After all that, I STILL GOT THE STONE... YEAHY YEAH!!!!"

And he starts laughing hysterically. haha. lol. They can't believe they not only survived but accomplished their goals. GREAT!!!

Zorg

Tennessee Smith said:
Raiders, because Marion laid him out with that mirror. He never screamed like that again. :whip:

Yeah, I think that's the worst one too. It just hurts to watch.

Still, it makes you laugh at the same time. It's the magic that ROTLA has.

oki9Sedo

Mr. Z said:
The marathon from the Well of Souls, the plane adventure, and the truck chase is pretty hard to top for endurance and no chance of rest at any point. That's really where the mileage piled up. :)

But in Temple of Doom, he gets poisoned, whipped, enters the black sleep of Kali, gets beaten up by a giant Thuggee guard, tortured with the voodoo doll, and nearly has his heart ripped out by Mola Ram (he doesn't draw blood, but he's clearly in excruciating pain).

His foot going on fire after using it as a makeshift brake probably wasn't too pleasant either.

Mr. Z

Either way, he's a hero of epic endurance and courage. The Kali thing is awful, but he wasn't under phsical duress during that time. Sure, it wasn't pleasant, but he was hanging out mellow; albeit in an evil trance, but no one shot him, punched him in the wounded arm (which was shot ... did I mention that ;) ), and thrown under a truck. That's way better then some demonic vacation with Mola Ram. :p

Rayder

I also voted for ToD, but not only for the physical and mental abuse, but also not starving to death with the choice of food he had, I just hope the stuff the village people gave them tasted better than it looked

loganbush

Voted Raiders, for many reasons, but lets not forget LC. That tank chase must've been a *****! That shovel couldn't have felt too good. But I have to give it to Henry Sr. for going through all that in his 70s!:)