Emperor's Tomb hints and tech help

Magda

Um, Kev, have you even played ET? If you're going to give advice, at least play the game first. You kill the bad guy with the pipe - the vials only stun him so you can get a couple whacks in.

Tom Jones

00Kevin said:
when he walks away to grab an Item to throw............then grab the acid....make your shots count!

I know. When I first played it I must of been thrown around that lab for at least five minutes before finally finshing him off.
Ameera said:
You kill the bad guy with the pipe - the vials only stun him so you can get a couple whacks in.

That's only after you throw the vials at him to make him run into that acid running machine. Then that metal pipe breaks off and that's when you can start bashing him.

00Kevin

Indyfan
Ameera said:
Um, Kev, have you even played ET? If you're going to give advice, at least play the game first. You kill the bad guy with the pipe - the vials only stun him so you can get a couple whacks in.

I know, I DID say that.....In my 1st post I said that after the Vials you get the pipe......the second post was strickly about how to use the vials

and also ameera, mabey you should TEST things befor you talk like a know-it-all

one CAN kill the bad guy with ALL VIALS...yes, I have done it, it works

Shazbaz

Thanks for all the help and advice.I killed him in the end,after i dont know how many times.Just my son now to get past him.[HE,S still on the big crocodile].He will want me to kill him when he get there.He,s no chance.

salimwng

Hi,

I am actually at the top of a tower ( after climbing the stairs ) and reached on a short platform. It's in PRAGUE, Vega's Tower specifically. I am stuck and i do not know what and where to do. I tried to jump on the green roof, but most of the time i fall down. Is there any other root that old Prof Indy can take ?

Thanks a lot guys,
Salim

00Kevin

Indyfan
ah, I love that level :D.....hang high above your doom...throwing Nazi's off the ledges.....ah, life is perfect

Yolegoman

00Kevin said:
ah, I love that level :D.....hang high above your doom...throwing Nazi's off the ledges.....ah, life is perfect

Yes, that one is beat only by the Path of Unseen Peril in my favorite levels list...

:)

Yolegoman

philhos

I'm having some serious trouble jumping to the pipe in the first Prague level. I beat up all the bad guys and get to the part where you have to jump to the pipe, then shimmy over to land, then whip to a chain and land on solid ground by the castle.
I've tried running and jumping and standing at the edge and jumping - making sure to always hold the forward button - and he never grabs the pipe.

Any ideas?

Also, is there anyway to get the inventory from opening up everytime I press my middle mouse button? Everytime I press both buttons, it's like I'm pressing the middle one and instead of grabbing a bad guy, I'm opening my inventory.

Please, someone help me! Thanks.

Yolegoman

This one had me muttering for a while, but here is the secret. First: Stay on the right side of the wall before your jump, so you are farther away from that water fountain. And secondly, square yourself up using first person mode. Run, then jump at the last second. Hope this helps!

Btw: Once you get past, instead of going through the door, turn left to find hidden ammo! :)

Good Luck!

Yolego

philhos

Thanks, YoLeGoMan!

It's been bugging the HECK out of me! I've died like a million times and it's one of those times where I'm tempted to send LucasArts a letter about saving in PC games!

philhos

I STILL CAN'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!

I'M TIRED OF STARTING THE LEVEL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yolegoman

Okay, listen to me: Are you using Pc? And if so, are you using the default controls? Believe me, they might take a while to get used to... but they are ever so much better then anything else somebody could come up with.

Okay, one last tip, I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS! Use at your own risk!

Rolling can carry you much farther then a simple jump can. I am going to reccomend that you run forward and ROLL... not jump, just once. See if it works.

Like I said, never tried it, but see how that does.

Sorry it's being such a pain for you.

Yolegoman

philhos

I DID IT!!!

Thanks, Yolegoman!!!

The roll thing worked!!

What's funny is after I made it to the pipe, I screwed up the jump from the whip to the chain and had to do the whole level over again.

But, now I'm past it.

Thanks again!!

I still wish they'd put in a save anywhere feature.

MP3

Throughout the past few weeks, I've been having problems with the keyboard - mostly regarding inventory selection via the number keys. I'd like to know if ayone else has the same problems, or if I'm just getting senile. ;) Please tell me if you recognize any or all of the following symptoms:

• When holding the SHIFT key while going over a ledge, Indy will quite often refuse to catch the edge as he goes over, but will instead fall down and (depending on the curcumstances) lose health or die.
  • In Hong Kong, pressing 3 or 5 will NOT equip the Mauser or Shotgun, respectively, EVEN WHEN NOTHING ELSE IS EQUIPPED - you have to use the arrow keys to manually select the gun. On the other hand, 9 will still equip the canteen and 0 will activate a Medkit.
  • In Istanbul, if you collect both the Turkish Knife and the Machete, you will be generally be able to draw one of them, use it, and put it away. However, sometimes, if the game is in a bad mood, Indy will be forced to drop it - i.e. pressing T or any of the number keys will make Indy drop the knife instead of putting it away.
  • In the sunken palace of Bellasarius, you get one of the artifacts by whip-swinging onto a suspended crate and cutting the rope holding the crate up. I noticed that when ever I have both the Turkish Knife and the Machete, the following scenario will occur: after slicing the rope and retreiving the artifact, pressing 4 will not switch to the other knife as it should. Pressing 1 will not put away the knife - or even drop it - and pressing T is useless, as well. The only way to get rid of the stupid knife is to press 2, and Indy will switch the knife for the whip; you can then put the whip away normally. As a bonus idiocy, you'd think after all the trouble you had with putting away the knife, Indy would drop it after following the above procedure (since he doesn't seem to think it is worthy of keeping, as in the previous item in this list), right? WRONG! Indy will hang the knife from his belt once again, which is quite a surprising twist to the case I mentioned earlier (where you would not be able to keep both knives).
  • Sometimes, when hanging from a ledge, Indy will refuse to shimmy in either direction, or even to pull [back] up onto the ledge! The only recourse in this case is to let go of the ledge, which you will not always want to do (hanging from the edge of the bottomless pit, unable to pull up, at the end of "Von Beck's Revenge" come to mind... ARGH!!!).

Please let me know if you recognize any of these symptoms. If I discover any new quirks, or remember any old ones that I currently don't, I'll post back here.

Thanks!
MP3

Yolegoman

Okay, here I am:

1: I don't recommend the shift key, use the alt key to walk and catch the ledge.

2: Is it that big of a deal? And besides, I'll have you know that that feature came in the update, and as such was not tested properly.

3: A machete? Wow! Where do you find that?

4: When you land on the box, press the E key. This will equip your turkish knife, and you can slice through the box. And also, if the T key doesn't work, try the down arrow.

5: I know, I know, that gets annoying, but what you are doing is hitting down (Correct me if I'm wrong) then catching yourself and hitting up again at the last minute, right? Bug in the game, DON'T hit the down button unless your sure you want to fall to your death!

There you go.

Yolegoman, who thinks these are all merely minor annoyances in the best game ever made

MP3

Yolegoman said:
Okay, here I am:

1: I don't recommend the shift key, use the alt key to walk and catch the ledge.

2: Is it that big of a deal? And besides, I'll have you know that that feature came in the update, and as such was not tested properly.

3: A machete? Wow! Where do you find that?

4: When you land on the box, press the E key. This will equip your turkish knife, and you can slice through the box. And also, if the T key doesn't work, try the down arrow.

5: I know, I know, that gets annoying, but what you are doing is hitting down (Correct me if I'm wrong) then catching yourself and hitting up again at the last minute, right? Bug in the game, DON'T hit the down button unless your sure you want to fall to your death!

There you go.

Yolegoman, who thinks these are all merely minor annoyances in the best game ever made

1: Hmmmm... I didn't know the Alt ket works - the manual and readme file didn't say anything about it - they just said it was for sneaking... besides, that's still not an excuse to leave a bug like that in the game, especially since SHIFT is the key recommended by the manual for doing the job.

2: Yes it is a big deal, since I'm used to the convenience of speed-dialing my weapons, instead of a lengthy combo of arrow keys. ;) Not that I can't survive like this - one thing that I forgot to mention in my previous post is that none of these are earth-shattering problems, just minor annoyances that I would be better off without - and indicators, yet again, of some of the shoddier sides of The Collective's work. And by the way, this feature did NOT come in the update - although it wasn't in the manual, it was in the readme file since the day I installed the game.

3: In the first board of the sunken palace (the one where you start by falling in on top of the statue head). Go to the second body of water (the one where you have to kill the SS divers to obtain some Demo Charges) and dive straight down near the pier. There is a skeleton on the floor, with a machete right near it. Gotcha! Thought I was bluffing, eh? ;););)

4: I know how to get the artifact! You misunderstood me; the main part of my complaint is AFTER I retreive the artifact, I cannot put my knife away using 1, T or the down arrow - I have to switch directly to another item, and then put that item away. I strongly suspect that this may be related to posession of the machete, so try finding the machete and then see if you get the same results as me.

5: Well, you said I should correct you if you are wrong, so here goes: e.g. in the Temple of Kong Tien, in the room where the blue torch illuminates a transparent red bridge, the following happend: on the way back, when the bridge was in segments, I accidentally slipped off one of them and managed to grab the edge. To my utter dismay, however, pressing W had no effect. So I tried shimmying with A and D; still nothing. My only choice was to press S or spacebar to let go, and start the whole level over. Grrrrr! And this was not the only time it happened - this is just an example that stands out in my mind because of the "tragic" circumstances. ;)

BTW, the "Von Beck's Revenge" scenario I depicted was only an example - it never actually happened to me. And if it would have, my computer would probably not be intact right now... ;););)

And in your signature: Yes, I DEFINITELY agree with the "best game ever made" part. ;)