Favourite Indy Movie?

indyclone25

well since i was around for the first run of Raiders of the lost ark --- i still think it is the best ----fun , adventurous, fastpaced, and funny in just the right moments . Raiders is a classis in every sense of the word.

pellman

The order is

Raiders
Temple of Doom
Crystal Skull

Last Crusade is not an Indiana Jones movie. It is a parody of an Indiana Jones movie. Like Robin Hood: Men in Tights is a parody of Robin Hood movies. That it actually stars Harrison Ford just makes it that more effective.

MaverickKing

^ That's a rather negative view of Last Crusade. I'm not it's biggest fan, but it has its merits.

I'd order it as:

Raiders of the Lost Ark (I'll have none of that "Indiana Jones and the..." rebranding malarky)
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of Crystal Skull

JP Jones

pellman said:
The order is

Raiders
Temple of Doom
Crystal Skull

Last Crusade is not an Indiana Jones movie. It is a parody of an Indiana Jones movie. Like Robin Hood: Men in Tights is a parody of Robin Hood movies. That it actually stars Harrison Ford just makes it that more effective.
It's not that bad, but it does try way too hard to copy rotla. It's NOT an Indy movie in my book or at least not as "Indy" as the other 3, but it still pretty cool. It's just like I said"Nothing special"

DocWhiskey

pellman said:

How do you not accept LC as an Indiana Jones film but do accept KOTCS?

Don't get me wrong, I love both, and you're entitled to your own opinion, but if you thought LC was goofy, well, KOTCS just makes it all goofier.

LC was the 1st Indy film I seen, and till this day, I believe it has the best mix of action and comedy and is one of the most enjoyable "family" adventure films one could ask for, followed closely by KOTCS. But thinking LC is a parody of IJ? It just doesn't have as dangerous of a tone as RotLA does. If it was a parody, Indy would be clumsy and falling out of nuclear fridges, swinging with monkeys, and taking absolutely no damage from enemies.

Oh...wait.:p

JP Jones

DocWhiskey said:

Don't get me wrong, I love both, and you're entitled to your own opinion, but if you thought LC was goofy, well, KOTCS just makes it all goofier.

LC was the 1st Indy film I seen, and till this day, I believe it has the best mix of action and comedy and is one of the most enjoyable "family" adventure films one could ask for, followed closely by KOTCS. But thinking LC is a parody of IJ? It just doesn't have as dangerous of a tone as RotLA does. If it was a parody, Indy would be clumsy and falling out of nuclear fridges, swinging with monkeys, and taking absolutely no damage from enemies.

It's not as "Indy" as the others, just because I hated the Parts In berlin Or wherever they were. I might have sounded a little too harsh with my comment. There's no reason for you too bash KotCS though. I never should have said LC wasn't an Indy movie because it is. There's just a long part of it in Germany, which didn't feel like the right place for Indy. I meant no harm to LC fans.

mr.kotcs said:
I might have sounded a little too harsh with my comment. There's no reason for you too bash KotCS though.

Ah...I see, we ALL have things we like and dislike about the films!

...but please don't find fault with mine!

pellman

DocWhiskey said:

Because Spielberg said so. Back in '89 he said, "We realize now after Temple of Doom that Raiders was a one-time sort of thing and that we shouldn't touch it again. But the fans want more. So we give them just what they want: more Raiders. Think about it. The Holy Grail! It's a joke, a send-up of the Ark. See, the fans are kids who loved Raiders. So we bring back the Nazis and a search for a bigger, badder lost mystical artificat. This time Indy rides a horse after a TANK! Indy and damsel have to escape a tomb filled with RATS! Instead of fighting around an airplane, this time Indy has fight on an AIRSHIP! You can picture kids sitting around coming up with this stuff themselves. 'wouldn't it be cool if ...' and 'yeah, but this time it's a tank!' So we just made the movie that the kids would make themselves if they could."

If it was a parody, Indy would be clumsy and falling out of nuclear fridges, swinging with monkeys, and taking absolutely no damage from enemies.

:whip:

JP Jones

pellman said:
Because Spielberg said so. Back in '89 he said, "We realize now after Temple of Doom that Raiders was a one-time sort of thing and that we shouldn't touch it again. But the fans want more. So we give them just what they want: more Raiders. Think about it. The Holy Grail! It's a joke, a send-up of the Ark. See, the fans are kids who loved Raiders. So we bring back the Nazis and a search for a bigger, badder lost mystical artificat. This time Indy rides a horse after a TANK! Indy and damsel have to escape a tomb filled with RATS! Instead of fighting around an airplane, this time Indy has fight on an AIRSHIP! You can picture kids sitting around coming up with this stuff themselves. 'wouldn't it be cool if ...' and 'yeah, but this time it's a tank!' So we just made the movie that the kids would make themselves if they could."
You have to be some kind of mind reader because this is eerily similar to my exact thoughts about LC. That's actually very scary.

Zeppelin

pellman said:
"We realize now after Temple of Doom that Raiders was a one-time sort of thing and that we shouldn't touch it again. But the fans want more. So we give them just what they want: more Raiders. Think about it. The Holy Grail! It's a joke, a send-up of the Ark. See, the fans are kids who loved Raiders. So we bring back the Nazis and a search for a bigger, badder lost mystical artificat. This time Indy rides a horse after a TANK! Indy and damsel have to escape a tomb filled with RATS! Instead of fighting around an airplane, this time Indy has fight on an AIRSHIP! You can picture kids sitting around coming up with this stuff themselves. 'wouldn't it be cool if ...' and 'yeah, but this time it's a tank!' So we just made the movie that the kids would make themselves if they could."

Right on the money. It seems to me that with Temple they were trying to make a movie that was the equal of Raiders, but different. The response wasn't as enthusiastic as hoped for, so the third one lost that ambition, being essentially a safe, lighthearted retread of the first. That doesn't mean it isn't enjoyable, though.

pellman

pellman said:

I was being satirical with this. I made this up. I thought I had better clarify. I don't want to get labeled as a troll.

[Note to self: whisky and posting don't mix.]

sgttom

Well I actually like them in the order that they were made.
Raiders
Temple of Doom
Last Crusade

I've never seen KOTCS so I can't comment on that but I am pretty sure it will fall in 4th, though I can't say for sure.
I just watched Temple of Doom for the first time last night. It was very good. I almost liked it as much as Raiders. The Truck scene in Raiders was 10 times better then the mine cart chase. I have to say some of it really looked bad. The part when the plane crashes into the mountain looked horrible. Also the part when Mola Ram falls off the rope ladder looked fake. Not really a big deal though. The fight with Pat Roach was excellent, it was funny how he tried to save him from the rock-crushing wheel. The one thing I can't understand is why Indy didn't try to resist being captured. Couldn't he have struggled a bit while they locked him in that cage?

Udvarnoky

sgttom said:
The one thing I can't understand is why Indy didn't try to resist being captured. Couldn't he have struggled a bit while they locked him in that cage?

It was for Short Round's sake.